DV8000t Battlefield 2 Crashes to Desktop

edited November 2007 in Hardware
I just recentley purchased an HP dv8000t and so far the games I've run on it run well except for BF2. When I try to run BF2 all it does is start spooling the cd with the BF2 logo midscreen. Then it tries to change the resolution turning the screen black; then it just closes to desktop.

I've tried modifying the startup refresh rate and resolutions in video.con, but this doesnt solve the problem. I've installed the latest BF2 patch and tried updating the graphics driver, but the drivers for the 7 series on nvidia's site will not update my drivers. (It says that it "can't find any compatible drivers for my hardware" and I have a Go 7600). I've also tried getting support from EA, but all they told me was to use task manager to close background programs and to turn down my directsound hardware acceleration... the short of that is... they are no help.

If anyone could provide any tips that could help me get this game running I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    what refresh rate is it running at? 60? if it is not at 60 it will not run properly...

Also do you have all the patches for the game installed? IU know so start issues were address in a few patches.

And than you can get newer drivers here which are much better than the stock HP drivers. I run these drivers for all my games and it works like a champ BF2 included....
  • edited August 2006
    The monitor can only display 58hz and 59hz which is strange... I know that BF2 is default at 60hz, but 1942 conforms itself to my laptop and only shows refresh rates in my range! I suspected that it was the refresh and even tried changing the startup refresh rate in Video.con, but it didnt work.

I'm trying to figure out what I should download on that site, but I don't know if I feel safe trying those drivers out...

If I install these will it allow me to revert back to the old drivers? Or do I have to get the old ones off the disc?

Thanks.
    edited August 2006
    Sounds like HP gave you a bad LCD Panel... My buddy had the same issue with his dv5000t it would only run 58Hz or 59Hz... you will not be able to play BF2 unless it's native refresh rate is 60Hz... He went through hell to try to get it working... and with all his efforts HP could not fix the issue... what display did you get with yours? the 1680 x 1050 or the 1440 x 900?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    It's not going to kill it if you force it to 60Hz. LCDs just don't have refresh rates.
    edited August 2006
    No the problem with EA's BF2 is it has to be native... won't work if you create a custom profile...
  • edited August 2006
    the 1680 x 1050

how do you force it to 60hz?
    edited August 2006
    No the problem with EA's BF2 is it has to be native... won't work if you create a custom profile...

Observe: ReForce dredged up from the bowels of S-M, posted on 9-23-04 for BF1. :) Program allows you to force a refresh rate at the driver level.
  • edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Observe: ReForce dredged up from the bowels of S-M, posted on 9-23-04 for BF1. :) Program allows you to force a refresh rate at the driver level.

So you are telling me I can add a 60hz mode to my monitor?
    edited August 2006
    Yes, when you run that program, set the resolution you plan to run BF2 at at 60Hz, and save it. That way, whenever the game switches to that resolution, it forces your display to cough up 60Hz instead of 58 or 59.
  • edited August 2006
    mmm the autopopulated results gives me everything but the option of 58/59hz... but it does have 60 hz.. im confused
  • edited August 2006
    It also gives me two options for monitors ... it has two "NVIDIA Geforce Go 7600" to select...

ok well, i dont thinkthis program is workin for me i tried setting 60hz to the res im trying to run on BF and it isnt workin
  • edited August 2006
    Sledgehammer, is there no hope for me?? Is it because i got the higher res. monitor??
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:

It will not work for BF2!!! I have tried this a million times... no matter what program or bios it is a screen issue.. within windows and the actual drivers... HP claims they have no idea and will say the card runs standard at 58Hz and 59Hz.. which is bull crap, mine and a few other I check with 7400 and 7600's run at 60Hz...
    edited August 2006
    bustacrab wrote:
    Sledgehammer, is there no hope for me?? Is it because i got the higher res. monitor??

I have ther smae screen with a 7400 Go and it works fine... I think you should call hop and tell them to fix it :)
  • edited August 2006
    I have ther smae screen with a 7400 Go and it works fine... I think you should call hop and tell them to fix it :)

HP Technicians are worthless! Read:

Chat Transcript Begins Here

Ann
    Hello Phillip

Ann
    Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion Notebooks. My name is Ann. How may I assist you today?

Me
    I have a session ID

Me
    can I give it to you?

Ann
    Please go ahead.

Me

Ann
    Please give me a minute.

Me
    Thank you for your patience and time.

Ann
    Phillip, the issue was with the monitor refresh rate not showing 60hz, Am I right?

Me
    es

Me
    yes

Ann
    I am sorry to say that the notebook shows 59hz only.

Me
    The guy I worked with before said I was the first one coming out with this problem. It doesn't make any sense that the monitor won't display 1hz more.

Me
    I also know someone with the same model laptop and his displays 60hz fine

Ann
    Phillip, there is no way we can adjust or change this.

Me
    HP built the laptop. It can fix it. If HP can't repair the physical piece of equipment then HP shouldn't exist

Ann
    I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Me

If every single model of this was incapable of displaying 60hz I would take your answer, but there are people that have the same laptop that can display it

Ann
    This will vary according to applications run.

Chat Transcript Ends Here

Before I could get any more words in she cuts the conversation off.
    edited August 2006
    Ukm its the same app... tell them you want to send you laptop back as it is defective and see what they say?
  • edited August 2006
    This is so ridiculous. The first technician I had actually tried to be helpful and admitted that they had not heard of this problem. The second one (the transcript I listed) denied the problem altogether (they were probably too busy eating donuts instead of doing their job) and the 3rd one treated me like a moron and told me to try and change the refresh rate in advanced display properties... I probably need to get somebody on the phone beause these online techs are worthless.
    edited August 2006
    They have heard of it... My buddy was told they are receiving laptops with the same issue... It is not the first time... that is a flat out lie. We ended up calling them and sending the laptop in, I was able to find that alls they did was upgrade the bios and create a custom refresh rate... and than sent it back... BF2 still didn't work. And the laptop still didn't show 60Hz refresh rate

The interesting part is my laptop displays and plays BF2 fine… at 60Hz… I think HP is having an issue with a connection between the graphics card and the Screen. But only with a few cases... As I said before most display fine at 60Hz...
  • edited August 2006
    So I would probably be wasting my time sending the laptop back to HP? I find that I wouldn't be having this problem if Battlefield 2 didn't have such ****ty programming that it can't conform to a refresh rate that is just 1Hz less than standard.
    edited August 2006
    yeah its pretty messed up.... My buddy ended up just leaving it, as he wasn't that hardcore into BF2, and it does run all his other games... If it was me I would sent the notebook back for a refund, under the condition that it won't run my programs...
  • edited August 2006
    I suppose i'll just live without Battlefield 2. I left EA a message requesting that they add support.... maybe if we could get others to make this request also we could get this fixed in a patch.
  • edited August 2006
    I was just looking around in the NVIDIA options of my laptop. I came to a place where it lets you customize screen resolutions and refresh rates. I added 1680x1050 with a 60hz refresh rate. I applied the setting - with fingers crossed I moved to Window's advanced display properties, clicked on over to refresh rate and low and behold the 60 hz option is there! I excitedly select this option and still scared of failure click apply... the screen goes black... then my display comes back up! I checked 3 times and each time confirms it, IM DISPLAYING 60HZ!

So after I get this done I want to try out BF2, but I can't find the CD!:mad2:!!:mad2:!!!:mad2:!!!!!:mad2:!!!!:mad2:!!!!!:mad2:!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:
  • edited September 2006
    I have the exact same computer and video card.....the reason nvidia isnt able t instal new drivers on our laptop is because we dont actually have a video card....it is a chipset that is fused with the mother board so nvidia drivers cant recognize our "video card"....I went to that site of laptopvideo2go.com and did their instal of an update for out video card....still didnt work for battlefield 2...i tried changing refresh rates and resolutions...ive been attempting this for a bout a wekk straight and have foud no such luck....i can run call of duty 2 on nearly full settings 100% perfectly smooth and absolutly gorgeous but not battlefield 2 because it doesnt configure itself to run on my laptop which is a piece of bullshizit if you ask me....i paid good f-in money for this laptop $1400 and i cant even run BF2??? i did what you said in your last post with the cd and an .iso which i mounted with daemon and neither of them would work....now that doesnt make sense because my computer was st at 60ghz and still nothing so im confused pissed off and looks like i have to go back to the call of duty series which i feel is a step below battlefield 2....i hope someone can figre something out for us cuz i am having withdrawls from battlefield 2 hahah

-Brandon
  • edited September 2006
    breda9 wrote:
    I have the exact same computer and video card.....the

-Brandon

Right now I am running at 60hz. The drivers allow you to add customized resolutions and refresh rates and as dude said earlier in the thread his displays 60hz fine. Well, how I got this to run under 60hz was this:

Right click desktop: NVIDIA display: Laptop display

Under the extended options tab (if you aren't seeing options click the green button with an arrow on it and it should go out to the left)

Click: "Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates"

There you can click "add" under "custom resolutions and refresh rates"

I suggest creating a custom resolution for the default starting resolution of BF2 and then customizing the refresh rate to 60hz. (Then add it to your desktop's default res. as well) Click OK. click Apply. Click OK to exit.

Now goto desktop and right click and goto properties... select the resolution that you customized: click advanced: monitor tab: 60hz: apply: ok

Your screen should flicker and you should now be display 60hz.

The next thing I would like to know is how to make 60hz the default resolution... because obviously when BF2 attempts to open up, it tries grabbing a 60hz refresh rate which the drivers dont offer... customizing it adds it, but only to resolutions you specific... i wonder how you can apply it to all...

I'm sure that you can play around with that and see if you can't get it to work. I'm gunna borrow a buddy's disc today and copy it and see if I can't get it to load up.

Anyway... good luck with it
    edited September 2006
    The custom setting will not work, I myself have tried this on my buddies Laptop and worked with HP and NVIDIA support in resolving this matter. The native Res. and settings for the 7400 Go seem to come at 60Hrtz or at 58/59Hrtz... some have the right setting running others don't... HP has no explanation for this as neither does NVIDIA... I believe it has something to do with the Screen and not just the GC. HP is at fault in this issue and won't fess up to it.

So the people with dv8000t's that came 60Hrtz standard your good to go... if it says 58.58Hrtz you're pretty much screwed...
  • edited September 2006
    everywhere it says that i'm running 60hz
  • edited September 2006
    I just tested Battlefield 2 with my friend's CD and IT WORKS!

Sledgehammer, please refer to your frined to my instructions on adding customized resolutions/refresh rates it works like a charm. You just need to put the intial BF2 resolution in (800x600 with the 60hz refresh rate) and whatever else you plan on changing too.
  • edited September 2006
    bustacrab wrote:
    I just tested Battlefield 2 with my friend's CD and IT WORKS!

Sledgehammer, please refer to your frined to my instructions on adding customized resolutions/refresh rates it works like a charm. You just need to put the intial BF2 resolution in (800x600 with the 60hz refresh rate) and whatever else you plan on changing too.

ok what exactly did you do??? im like creaming my pants cuz you said it works with bf2 hahaha
  • edited September 2006
    ok i gotit to work....im wonderin if we can get any higer of a resolution???? what settings do you run the game on???? low med high custom???
  • edited September 2006
    i only have 2 options for resolutions on the game right now...

I imagine BF2 would give the options for more if you added other resolutions with a customized refresh rate.

I set my video settings pretty much to all medium and it ran great.