Help build a performance rig

2»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    They're not out yet, probably not for another two months in volume. The reference boards are no better or worse than the 975X/G chipset from Intel itself; it's just brining SLI support to the Conroe, really.
    Ah ...well idunno what kinda timeframe he's looking at yet.

I should still have a few weeks to tweak this if I'm lucky cause of the out of stock issues.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    recommend a good tape drive?
    Why on earth! Isn't that in the same general bin as the 5&1/4" floppy? Hard drive storage is so cheap. Why a tape drive?
    edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Why on earth! Isn't that in the same general bin as the 5&1/4" floppy? Hard drive storage is so cheap. Why a tape drive?
    No clue ...I will try to get him to find out if he can get seismic on another media. Heck it should even be downloadable these days AFAIC. You should see the 3D seismic they've been doing ...you'd never wanna look at 2D again. And the 2D is converted to 3D in about 15mins ...this machine will certainly do better.

I also switched monitors to cheaper 20" ...I like the 20.1 5ms better but it has a mail in rebate. I'll show him how he can get better monitors and save another $20 on the backend going that route. I'll show him the 21" as well but I'm certain he'll want to save a little cash there.
    edited August 2006
    is the zalman 7700 compatible with this chip and board?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Chris

I see two things to look into.

1. You may want to look into Seasonic and Silverstone PSU's. They have been doing great things in the modern PSU market. I recently got a Silverstone SST-56 (560W) and it is just super! It is very very quiet and has excellent efficieny with solid rails. They even make a 600W modular unit that is super.

2. The Zalman 7700 is a dinosaur by todays standards. Look into the THERMALRIGHT Ultra-120, Scythe Ninja or Thermaltake Big Typhoon for cooling. they are definitely the ones to beat!
    edited August 2006
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    Chris

I see two things to look into.

1. You may want to look into Seasonic and Silverstone PSU's. They have been doing great things in the modern PSU market. I recently got a Silverstone SST-56 (560W) and it is just super! It is very very quiet and has excellent efficieny with solid rails. They even make a 600W modular unit that is super.

2. The Zalman 7700 is a dinosaur by todays standards. Look into the THERMALRIGHT Ultra-120, Scythe Ninja or Thermaltake Big Typhoon for cooling. they are definitely the ones to beat!

The only thing I see is in Silverstone at 560w ...+12v 38A. I assumed the higher the Amps on the +12v the better. What am I missing here.
    Anyway here's the link ...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163111
    What do you think?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    You save $30, it's in stock, and it's not terribly different.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    That is the old model. Do not buy thtat one! You want the "Strider" series.

Here are the 2 to look at;

SILVERSTONE SST-ST56F This is the one I got.

SILVERSTONE SST-ST60F This one is modular. Newegg hasn't changed the specs since Silverstone improved it. The inprovements also are reflected in the reviews.
    edited August 2006
    So I'm still confused about the rail ...what makes the difference?
    I like the modular 600w ...apparantly the +12v is split for a reason as I've seen on quite a few ...at it totals like 55v I think.
    So is that a really a good choice ...why are they split that way?
    Got link to the review?
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    They're not out yet, probably not for another two months in volume. The reference boards are no better or worse than the 975X/G chipset from Intel itself; it's just brining SLI support to the Conroe, really.
    We'll order most components early but some things will wait til labor day weekend sale like mobo, video, ram. So if that nvidia solution is out by then I may make a 180.
  • edited October 2006
    Hey Guys... I just wrote this in a another thread, but want you all to know this before you go buying a 215TW.

I just couldnt live with that problem.

I bought a 215TW a month ago and had it swapped for a new one 3 times.
    It has a problem wich the two largest screens samsung makes, also have. The response time may be 8ms, but the screen does not react to movement at once.

If you are playing a game, you'll get pissed by this problem. Ive returned the Screen after having it exchanged 3 times! I finally went to the store and asked them to get my money back.

As I was there getting my money back, I asked the guy in the store to move the mouse pointer on all the screens that they had as DEMO:s (They were all serial connected). The 225BW and A LOT of others Samsung screens were also connected, including the both 24" screens 242MP and 244T.......

They did not have the 215TW connected, but ive been testing 3 of those so ive alredy got to the conclusion that ALL THE 215TW SCREENS show the picture delayed.

Anyway... All the screens were okay (including 225BW) EXCEPT the two big 24" screens!!!

I'm sitting with the 215TW right now, it's the one i have to send back to samsung tomorrow, and its the third one i got exchanged.

I told Samsung about this problem but they just kept sending me new ones and asked me to send back the old one. Since they all were the same, and i lost 1.5 months on that purchase I just went and returned it.

The 215TW may be good on the paper and deliver some good qualities, but delayed moitions is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

I am warning YOU about this TFT-screen. If you want proof i can show you all some videos i recorded. I connected both my "old" 19" BenQ 8ms screen and the 215 BW, to compare. I Cloned the picture and testet a few things. I also put a Iexplorer screen betwen them both and moved it and its very clear how bad this problem really is!

E-mail me and I'll send you a short video.

Tomorrow im sending THIS 215TW BACK to samsung and Buying a 225BW (wich ive seen WORKS) at the same store, instead =)
    edited October 2006
    I'd like to know more about the 225BW.

As for the Asus A8R-MVP ...I'm calling it quits.
    I just ordered an Abit AT832 to swap. As soon as the opteron 165's come back in stock I'll try and snag one of those before they run out.
    Lately I can't even get past 2540 with this chip and the ram isn't helping. Not to mention the quirk of the mobo no being able to run 2t. This problem has plagued me since day one and I'm just plain tired of it. I may retire it as a folding rig at 2500 1.4v to set inside of my desk. So it doesn't get too hot I'll probably get something like a big typhoon or something.

At any rate ...I'll probably be starting a new thread concerning the AT8 ...wish me luck!
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited October 2006
    Nvd.

Datsun 1600
    edited October 2006
    The E6600 project isn't for me it's for someone at work. I'm not ready for that yet. They seem to be too hot and use too much electricity but I have nothing to stand behind that at all. I might be totally wrong.
    edited November 2006
    Nvd.

Datsun 1600
    Nvd?

At any rate the new mobo is here and tomorrow the new opteron 165 will be in. I also got an evercool 120mm 80cfm@20db fan to compare to the stock lian li adda fans I currently use. I don't have specs on the adda's but I do know that they turn 1500rpm and are reasonably quiet. The evercools turn at 2000rpm and I hope they are at least as quiet.