Recommendation for HD display

2»

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Nice find, Hawk. :)

BTW, prime: Those are in Dayton, Ohio. You might be able to save a C-Note by driving down and picking it up yourself. Give you a chance to break those new tires in, too. :vimp:

I didn't think to check where they were coming from.
    That could be a good chunk of money saved.
    How long a drive is that from you prime?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Probably more than $100 worth of gas :-/

But thank you, you've definitely opened my horizons quite a bit :thumbsup:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Probably more than $100 worth of gas :-/

But thank you, you've definitely opened my horizons quite a bit :thumbsup:

No problem at all prime. I'm glad to help.
    I would have been searching earlier for you, but I'm still getting over the dental surgery.
    Couldn't concentrate on much of anything for any amount of time because of the pain.
    I'm still looking,so I'll let you know what I find.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Probably more than $100 worth of gas :-/ ...
    What are you driving, an Abrams tank? :scratch:

I can get from The Holy City Of Westlake to your place - and back again - for $30 (@ $2.50 a gallon). From your digs to Dayton can't be that much farther. :cool:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    off topic:smiles:

actually, an M1A1 Abrams tank can go 289 miles with all 4 tanks filled, ~512 gallons of diesel. diesel is ~$3/gallon here. So for the ~300 mile roundtrip from detroit to the holy city of westlake and back you're gonna need about $1500 for gas alone.:eek:

now if you want to include a few sabot armor piercing rounds to negotiate traffic on the way, the price goes way up... ~5k per round for the training version, or 8k for the real deal. the M1A1 holds 42 of them:)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    fatcat6 wrote:
    ...if you want to include a few sabot armor piercing rounds to negotiate traffic on the way, the price goes way up... ~5k per round for the training version, or 8k for the real deal. the M1A1 holds 42 of them:)
    That'd come in handy while passing through Toledo. :mouldy:
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited September 2006
    Why not look into some free credit... like a year of no payments, no financing charges. Best Buy has those type of deals, and so do many others. As long as you are fiscally responsible, it streches your usable dollars. Consider that if you have 300.00 dollars to spend today, but you want a 500.00 tv, the 200.00 over a 12 month period, is about 17.00 more a month that you have to spend. Pack a lunch a few times a week and there you go. Th e down side is that irresponsible people wont set aside extra money, and end up paying the financing charges later on... I got a Costco Amex that had six months free financing on it. Another thing to consider is that a 30inch tube will weigh up 200 lbs. Not a one man job.
    Also, if you buy a TV with a Qam4 cable tunner, then you can get a few hd channels through Comcast or who ever you have service through. Not the pay channels like Discovery HD theater, but you locals (not bad). If you use air waves, then you will get a bunch of channels in HD (most people with antennas do, I dont have one myself) make sure that the TV will upscale 720p to 1080i, I believe that the xBox 360 games are 720p, but the Xbox may also do the scalling. Some HD Tvs cant use a non-native signal (1080i or 720p) because they dont have a scaller/converter/interlacer or deinterlacer.
    edited September 2006
    As long as you are fiscally responsible

oh I am SO not fiscally responsible. I have horrendous credit, there is no possibility of financing.

Good point on the upscaling. I believe the 360 does 1080i, but I could be wrong about that. I know the PS3 will do 1080p, but it will be a long, long time before I have one of those.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It cost me around $60 to do the round-trip from Cinci to Warren for SM-LAN this year, and that was at very close to $3 per gallon. Dayton is about 50 miles closer to you than my house. Of course, you'd have to stop by and pay us a visit... or at least hang out in Dayton for a few hours for lunch with me if you did drive down...
    edited September 2006
    don't get your hopes up. It will be a long time before I am able to buy a TV :-/

One day I'll be able to actually leave this place and do some traveling. Sure, it may be 20 years from now, but who's counting? ;)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    I did find this out though which suprised me and is cool for those that are in areas without cable or satellite or can't afford it;
    Broadcast HD.
    HD is just about everywhere. Enjoy no fee, over-the-air HD broadcasts from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, UPN, and WB. According to the NAB, over 1500 TV stations are broadcasting DTV. And a healthy portion of the primetime schedule is transmitted in HD!
    I know my basic cable plus package is $58.00 a mnth and that adds up for a yr. Money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Also, you can usually pick up these channels with a good ol' fashioned set of rabbit ears.