Recommendation for HD display

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Okay, I need to get an HDTV or monitor. It's a long story, and I'm broke... but I need one.

Anyways, this will be replacing a 27" standard def, plain old, 90's technology TV. I use this display for movies and console gaming ONLY. I do not have cable or satellite TV so I have no need for a tuner or cablecard support, etc. It would be really a bonus if I could have widescreen, but it doesn't need to be huge. Just enough to be able to watch a movie from the couch across the room (8' distance)

It doesn't need to be flat panel or anything crazy. I would like to have it be able to support an xbox 360 as well as the upcoming Nintendo Wii. It does not need audio since I already have good speakers.

My budget? I'd REALLY REALLY like to spend less than $300, but I suppose I could stretch it to $400 if I absolutely had to or if there was some amazingly compelling difference between a $300 and $400 model.

I haven't purchased a TV in YEARS, so I am lost with all this new tech.

Help!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I haven't purchased a TV in YEARS, so I am lost with all this new tech.
    That makes two of us! Yeah, I know, this isn't helping, so just consider this a thread bump. :p
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    help! :D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Not much but somewhere to start. Link

You can get an HDTV for less than $400 but the thing is finding a good place to buy it from.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Was looking at HDTVs the other day, and found this C|Net website to be pretty great.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    and I'm broke...

That makes two of us..

your best bet would probably be a rear projection tv. I think DLP is probably still too expensive. I have been looking lately, but decided to wait another year or so.:D
    edited August 2006
    anybody? I'm looking for solid product recommendations... :eek3:
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'm not going to be any help at all :p but i say hold out for one of these: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14530698/
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Try newegg. I'll look around.
    edit\ nevermind they have nothing in HD in that price range.
    edited August 2006
    anybody? I'm looking for solid product recommendations... :eek3:

Read that C|NET website, newb. It's pretty much the best resource I've ever found for HD information, and I've been reading up on it too.
    edited August 2006
    Why HD?
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited September 2006
    Try http://www.highdefforum.com/
    I use themm as a trusted resource... but there is a whole lot to learn about HD before you can make a truly educated purchase.
    Spending 300-400 dollars will make it tough to find anything large, and if you want to use HD capable gaming consoles, you really should buy HD. If I were looking to spend that much money I would look for something used, say a DLP from a year or two ago. I bought my 46" Samsung DLP over a year ago for like 2500.00, and now you can buy better for around 1300.00, so mine would be close to your price. As far as where to find used goods, that is tough and keep in mind any rear projection TV (RP LCD, DLP, LCOS) will need a new bulb every few years give or take.
    I would look into a 32" HD CRT. They are heavy, and dont do progressive scanning (1080i only), but they are econoical and offer excellent SD picture quality in addition to HD. Buy from Costco if possible, they have a limited selection, but an excellent return policy.
    edited September 2006
    In my research, I've narrowed it down to something like you said: Approximately 30" CRT HDTV.

I saw a Toshiba floor model at Costco the other day for $449. Unfortunately, I needed new tires, so I had to buy those instead :crazy:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    You do realize # Just because a "Broadcast in HD" icon appears on your TV while viewing, doesn't mean you are actually viewing that program or movie in HD.
    In order to do that you must:
    # Upgrade to HD service with your
    # • Digital cable with HD
    # • Satellite service with HD.
    And i'm not trying to burst your buble on this topic either.
    Just wanted to be sure you understood that.
    And you say you don't have cable or satellite service, so how are you going to watch HDTV?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    P.S.
    BTW, I'm checking SAMS & BJ's for you.
    edited September 2006
    I'm not getting any broadcast content anyway, so I'm unconcerned with it. I will not have any "channels", either over-the-air, satellite, or cable. This is strictly a display device for all my consoles and my HTPC.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I will not have any "channels", either over-the-air, satellite, or cable.
    L A M E R :p
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I did find this out though which suprised me and is cool for those that are in areas without cable or satellite or can't afford it;
    Broadcast HD.
    HD is just about everywhere. Enjoy no fee, over-the-air HD broadcasts from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, UPN, and WB. According to the NAB, over 1500 TV stations are broadcasting DTV. And a healthy portion of the primetime schedule is transmitted in HD!
    I know my basic cable plus package is $58.00 a mnth and that adds up for a yr. Money that could be better spent elsewhere.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Here's a 20" I found for $298.00 ... Akai LCT2016 20" LCD HDTV
    I'll keep looking for ya prime.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Here's a 23" with pretty decent specs, but it's:
    $449.99 Less Rebate which ends 9/30/06:- $50.00 Final Price:$399.99.... then shipping. Olevia LT23HVX 23" / 1366x768 / 1600:1 Contrast Ratio / PC Input / LCD TV
    edited September 2006
    Thanks hawk! That Akai is the right price, but I need one with component input as well. I would really like to have an HDMI port on it as well so that I can have some future-proofing built in, as I buy TVs about once, oh... every twelve years or so ;D
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Here's something I found at... Now are you ready for this! Best Buy! for $379.00... Insignia™ 27" Flat-Tube HDTV
    Has Inputs: 1 S-video, 1 component video, 3 A/V (1 side, 2 rear), 2 RF and 1 HDMI.
    edited September 2006
    I am a Best Buy employee, and I have some advice for you:

Avoid Insignia like it'd give you AIDS.
    edited September 2006
    bah! but why? It's almost perfect! The specs are right, the price is right! Tell me what's wrong with it? :(

Or recommend something better :-/
    edited September 2006
    bah! but why? It's almost perfect! The specs are right, the price is right! Tell me what's wrong with it? :(

Hmmm ...he works there he must know I would say. I've bought tv's from best buy that were scratch and dent ...like a dent on the backside where no one will ever see. You can really move up a notch at that price point. Just a suggestion.
    Scooze me though please I had a few with comrades after work today.:cheers:
    edited September 2006

Insignia is the Best Buy-developed product, our in-store, in-house brand. According to dazzling employee-only <s>propaganda</s> training that we receive, stating that Insignia products are made to the same standards as brand-name products, that's just not true.

I personally have to check more Insignia TVs, set top and portable DVD players than any other brand. No, Insignia does not sell more than other brands. I can't overemphasize how drastic the return rate is -- bargain-basement prices, basement-bargained quality.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    ...I personally have to check more Insignia TVs, set top and portable DVD players than any other brand...
    I'm not disputing that point, but how many of them are D.O.A. or go croakers on you within the warranty period?

My experience with bargain-basement stuff (and I have a lot of it), leads me to believe that in most cases it's a quality-control issue in the factory. If you don't mind the risk that you may be making a return trip to the store for an exchange, you might still be able to get a deal.

To be fair, the flip side of that coin is that some el-cheapo products manage to hang in there until the day after the warranty expires. This might be one exception to my general rule of avoiding paying for an extended warranty. In a case like this it might be a way to hedge your bet, at least as long as the price is not too awfully high.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    One thing I failed to mention which my brother brought to my attention was ...You may want to check out all the local pawn shops..
    I have seen HDTV's that were $1000- $2000 going for as little as $300- $500.
    Not to mention you can bicker the price with them.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Here's a couple of factory refurbished 30" HDTV's for $299 each with $100 flat rate shipping which brings them to $399....
    They have some pretty nice specs with all the I/O connections you could need.
    PHILIPS 30PW8402 30" WIDESCREEN HDTV HD TV LIQUIDATION
    PHILIPS 30PW8420 30" WIDESCREEN HDTV HDMI, Flat HD TV
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Nice find, Hawk. :)

BTW, prime: Those are in Dayton, Ohio. You might be able to save a C-Note by driving down and picking it up yourself. Give you a chance to break those new tires in, too. :vimp:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Another, But I don't think it has the HDMI port.
    But it's US $345.00, with free shipping!
    PHILIPS 30PW850H 30" WIDESCREEN HDTV HD TV Wide Screen