DV9000z on the way, please help me review it

Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
edited October 2006 in Hardware
I have beren following the DV8000t threads on this site, mainly the review (which was great). I ordered a Dv8000t with the Ultra bright view, but returned it in hopes of getting one with the higer rez screen (1680x1050). The sales guy talked me into the DV9000z with the TL-60 AMD Turion processor, assureing me it was as fast if not faster than the Intel T2600 with comporable specs and uses. He did say that the Intel would do better at multitasking, but the AMD would run games and other intense application better. He also said that the 64 bit chip will be more future ready (Vista) and that the core 2 Duo is just a hyperthreaded Core Duo (his words not mine) I also will note that I am partial to the look of the new notebook, and the HDMI connector.

I read on this site that the AMD Turion X2 TL-60 is not as fast as the T2500 let alone the T2600. I dont know much about the site other than the ratings, but it seems informative and thorough. HP sent me the email that it shipped, so it should be here in a few days. I have the trial period to try this thing out, and I can send it back and get the well regarded DV8000t or maybe wait untill the Core 2 Duo come out...

I plan to upgrade the RAM to 2.0Ghz of OCZ, but in the mean time what can I do to rate this thing beyond regular use. This will be my first computer with a decent GPU, so I intend to buy FEAR and try it out, and I can run the Super PI and compare those numbers as well. I would greatly appreciate any input on this, as well as advice on the matter.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I distrust the sales guy that talked you into the more expensive model. I would give the new PC a shot, but ultimately I think that the performance advantage lies with the Core Duo or Core 2 Duo (once they begin putting the Core 2 chips in the machine).

The Core 2 Duo is not just a hyperthreaded Core Duo - in fact, it's not hyperthreaded at all. It's a new iteration of the CPU core, and gives a decent performance advantage in some cases.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    assureing me it was as fast if not faster than the Intel T2600
    He lied to you...

AMD's fastest Turion X2 chip is about 18% slower than the T2500 let alone the T2600. Also the dv9000 is a great new laptop as it has a few items the dv8000 lacks. but for soemone who doesn't need security is doesn't really matter.

In al the dv8000t with a T2600 is the fastest 17" notebook HP offers. when you get the dv9000 make sure to post some images and tell us what you think of it :)
  • edited August 2006
    I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts about the HDMI port. About the MAX output it will do 720 /1080

From what I read on another site (not regarding the dv9000z /T) is that to be able to connect to a BIG SCREEN TV, Plasma, Projector at 1080 AKA HDTV (1080p, preferablly, instead of 1080i) is that the screen resolution has to be 1920x 1280... A unit outputing at 1680x1050only being able to output at 720p...
    Then again I read somewhere the 7600 series gpu will output at the higher resolution?

Anyone have any info, it would be apperciated.

Would like to be able to hook up directly to the Big Screen TV to get out of the computer room ever once an a while. Currently have a dv8000t and hooking up via s-video is "lacking".

One more thing, HDMI is DVI with a HDCP signal added in. The HDMI spec carrying AUDIO and VIDEO. Anyone heard /read anything about that?

Why HDMI? What you need to know before going digital

Randolph Ramsay, CNET.com.au
    March 08, 2005

http://www.cnet.com.au/hometheatre/accessories/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=40004563-39028666t-10000049c

HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection.

How does it work?

A simple answer is that an HDCP session will result in the exchange of keys between the source and display device. The source device will query the display to make sure that the equipment is HDCP compliant before video is shown. Non-HDCP devices such as PC's and older model DVI products will work with any DVI compliant display, but the HDCP compliant boxes will show an image only on HDCP compliant display.
    http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Anything with an HDMI port has to output up to 1080p. It's part of the standard for that port. 1680x is a limitation of the LCD, not the video card, as is most often the case for any available resolutions..
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    but the HDCP compliant boxes will show an image only on HDCP compliant display.

not necessarily true. HDCP compliant displays will still show non- "trusted" content, but will downsample that content. To get full resolution, you will need to go HDCP end-to-end.
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited August 2006
    I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts about the HDMI port. About the MAX output it will do 720 /1080

From what I read on another site (not regarding the dv9000z /T) is that to be able to connect to a BIG SCREEN TV, Plasma, Projector at 1080 AKA HDTV (1080p, preferablly, instead of 1080i) is that the screen resolution has to be 1920x 1280... A unit outputing at 1680x1050only being able to output at 720p...
    Then again I read somewhere the 7600 series gpu will output at the higher resolution?

Anyone have any info, it would be apperciated.

Would like to be able to hook up directly to the Big Screen TV to get out of the computer room ever once an a while. Currently have a dv8000t and hooking up via s-video is "lacking".[\B]

As far as the S-Video connection goes, try the D-Sub 15 or VGA connection (same thing) if your TV has the input. It is analog, but capable of producing at least 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced), I am not sure about 1080p. The video bandwidth for 1080p is tremendous, I dont know if the video card (7600) is capable of producing that resolution. The good news is that 1080i will be de-interlaced by the TV and can look very good (most HD tv station use 1080i, including Discovery HD). 1080p is great in theory, but unless you have a newer DLP or perhaps LCD pannel, chances are you cant display it. Even the first 1080p capable DLPs cant accept a 1080p signal.

HDCP is also a problem, since it can force a down rez, or it may not work at all, but that is just if you are viewing HD material that is protected... this is where Win Vista comes in, it should fully support HDCP, and therefore allow viewing of HD material, but not the copying of it :shakehead

HDMI is DVI with digital audio, but I think it only supports up to DD2.1 or maybe 5.1, but not 7.1 as prommised. I dont know which version the lappy will have, but HDMI 1.3 is supposed to work with digital surround, and most products out there are not yet compliant. at least is should be 2.1 stereo (w/ sub channel)

anyone heard any rumors as to when HP may offer the new design with an Intel processor?
    edited August 2006
    I just got my dv9000...
    The HDMI port is either not there or covered up (Idont want to break this thing trying to find out) HP does not know if it has it or not... but they say it should. I have not had a chance to do much on this thing so far... but I did run super pi and got a 1m38s on 2M places.. the DV8000t did it in like 1m10s. Looks wise this thing is flashy and pretty cool, but I am concerned about performance and wheather or not it has the features promissed. I will report more as soon as I can.

One thing I did discover after waiting on hold for like an hour with Tech support and cust dis-service... Hp will have a dv9000t in the future (like another few months)
  • edited September 2006
    HP Dv9000t is out... and it has the HDMI port.

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0 GHz) cpu..

http://www.costco.com/CTO/HPConfigurator.aspx?Prodid=10029570&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&model=EZ379AV

Order today (9th), Estimated Shipping Date**: 9/19/2006 which means you should have it on the 19th...21st
    edited September 2006
    Well I ordered the dv9000t from HP and it should be here on the 20th (I hope)...

on Thursday, I got a mailer from HP, a nice mini mag with the new laptops, and they are offering discounts, almost exactly like the ones offered on the 8000t.

150 + 50 mail in off... upgrades, etc.
    Funny thing is, I asked when I ordered mine if this was coming, and I was told no! The promo starts on Sunday 9/17 and goes to the 30th. I am going to ask for a rebate, and I am sure I will get it... but we will see. It adds up to like $300+ in savings :mean:

I returned the dv9000z, due to lack of intel, lack of HDMI, and now Price!

Here are some shots of a 8000t vs 9000z
    8000v9000 (4) (Medium).JPG

8000v9000 (19) (Medium).JPG

8000v9000 (50) (Medium).JPG
    edited September 2006
    8000v9000 (30) (Medium).JPG

8000v9000 (37) (Medium).JPG

8000v9000 (39) (Medium).JPG

note the screens are both turned up to max
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    very nice... I would be affraid of scracthing that nice black shell.
    edited September 2006
    I agree, I dont want to scratch it either, but my biggest concern is what's inside (oh boy does that sound like an Intel ad) I will have to look into one of those micro fibre cloths you mentioned in a different post.

How about recomendations for laptop cases... specifically backpack for these 17" monsters
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I just ordered the dv9000z for our office. Should get it by the end of October. We didn't need a very powerful machine so I got it with the Mobile Sempron 3500+, GeForce Go 6150, WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 screen upgrade, and a free upgrade to a 100GB SATA drive.
  • edited October 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    I just ordered the dv9000z for our office. Should get it by the end of October. We didn't need a very powerful machine so I got it with the Mobile Sempron 3500+, GeForce Go 6150, WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 screen upgrade, and a free upgrade to a 100GB SATA drive.

dv9000z $500 after rebate, 512mb, 80gig, Dual layer DVD burner - and YES you can "upgrade" options as needed
    http://www.notebookforums.com/thread176590.html