Opteron 148 OCing

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Okay, so my dad assembled an SLI-DR + Opteron 148 rig back when those were the kings of OCing, and I've never really gotten around to overclocking it. Today I decided to really go for the gusto, and start OCing.

Started at 250MHz bus with a 5/6 divider, coming out to 196MHz memory and a 2000MHz even LDT. Well, I originally had the CPU at stock voltage with a 10x multi to get 2.5GHz. That's pretty cool, I reckoned, but the BIOS was out of date, so I flashed it and loaded defaults. I set the divider and bus options back, but forgot to lower the multi from 11 to 10x, and I didn't even really think about it.

Computer booted into windows and I checked CPUz to make sure all my clock settings were correct, and I noticed the CPU at 2.75GHz.. On stock voltage, and the computer was responding admirably.

I've now been running Prime95 on it for a half hour, and it's chugging like a champ at 44C/111F core, 45C/113F surface on full load.. 2.75GHz, 111F, stock voltage! This chip is crazy! I haven't overclocked in SO FRIGGIN LONG and this chip is a breeze to work with.

I wish he had something better than PC3500.. Gonna see if I can go for the magical 3GHz with a 300MHz bus. Air cooling, chaps. Wish me luck.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Up to 2.8GHz at stock voltage. 255MHz system bus, 4x LDT and 200MHz memory. Temperatures at 113F at full load.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Great! Please keep the thread updated.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    That's pretty sweet. Nice OC!
    edited August 2006
    2.9GHz, 1.375v (First voltage jump of .025 over stock).. More FSB/Mem increases, closing in on 275 system bus.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Just like the girl in the commercial, something simple gets a smile from thrax. ;) So the moral of the story is; A little overclocking is a good thing.
    edited August 2006
    Alright, I could get the chip to 3GHz on 1.425v, but it was just a little too warm for my tastes (52C full load) -- I'm going to leave it at 10.5*266MHz@5/6MEM. 2.8GHz is pretty solid and regular for a chip like that. Burn it in for a while.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Very nice OC! You wouldn't happen to know the stepping would you?

My 148 did 2.8 at default volts, but needed 1.55 to get up to 2.9 stable on air cooling. That one seems to scale quite well with the vcore. Is that on a stock AMD HSF?
    edited August 2006
    Sorry, the stepping is sitting under a huge brick of Thermalright aluminum. It's been a while since the rig was built, but I think it's an SI-120 or some derivative thereof.