Couple of friends with a sick E6300 Allendale

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Not me, but a couple of friends with an out-of-the-box el-cheapo Asus P5B vanilla and the cheapest Conroe. No mods, aircooling and normal roomtemps.
This is on STOCK vcore :hair: since the vcore adjustments on the board apparently are very buggy and hangs the board as soon as you try and adjust it. Not bad för a 120 dollar board and a 200 dollar cpu.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=95404

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I want. actually, I have my eye set on the 6600.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Just crazy :D That is almost 100% OC on stock vcore..

Its just amazing how much headroom this new architecture has. I'm really looking forward to seeing some top-notch OC boards from DFI. This will be very interesting.

Vapo is itching to freeze one of these things :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'm definitely waiting for DFI to shove a board out before I buy <s>Conroe</s> Allendale. :)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    The DFI doesn't look very good at all at the moment. It will take some time before it's up to par. I'm getting a deluxe version of the above board in a day or 2 together with an Allendale from the same batch :D

Allendale is the new XP1600 we all have been waiting for. 6400 has a lot more headroom with it's higher multi. 8X520 sounds pretty nice on phase doesn't it?
    edited August 2006
    Alright, Mack, it's question time...

P5B+6400+PC8000

- or -

P5W+6600+PC6400

Both of them have their merits. I feel the 6600s can sometimes pull a stronger total clockspeed, but the 4mb cache criples the bus speed, and the 2 -> 4 mb isn't much of an improvement (5% max). I feel the 6400s might not hit as high a clockspeed, but the lower cache blows the FSBs on the 6600s away, and it's much, MUCH cheaper.

//EDIT: Is there any memory I can buy that will save me some bucks? The 2GB packages are seriously expensive.. Are there any 6400 kits that will do 8000? I don't care who makes it. I've been looking at OCZ, G.SKILL and Corsair.
    edited August 2006
    Agreed. See the other thread and just hit the buy button. That setup will blow you away.

The worst part is that 2Gb of DDR2 PC-8000 ram is over $300 and the cheapest on pricewatch is actually ocz of all things. You do get Micron though which is easily the best ram for 1:1 overclocking.

Edit: Look for PC-6400 that does 3-4-3-X or something like that. Chances are good that it is Microns as well. Which means you can clock them higher with a little slappier timings.
    edited August 2006
    Which product line, in DDR1000, from OCZ do you really like? I'm a big fan of OCZ now.. They make wildly good products. The Spec Ops stuff is ghastly, so I hope you don't say that's the best. ;D

I'll be back with a newegg wishlist in a minute.
    edited August 2006
    DDR1000 Platinums has the best chips. But it gets really expensive at that speed.
    edited August 2006
    I noticed. $429.. But you know what? It's worth it. This is memory I can take to virtually any system for the next two years and have it run; more than that, OCZ is a good company run by good people with an unbeatable warranty: I can come right here and talk to someone about it.

//EDIT: Here it is.. The wishlist.
    edited August 2006
    You have a point there. Microns costs a nuckload of money. No matter what brand that puts them together actually. You are in the service business yourself so you know what it means with someone that actually answers on the other end of the line.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Sounds like someone needs to load the new bios.

As far as memory goes, why the fast memory? From what I have seen it looks like once you get over 800 it doesn't help. Run dividers and be happy.
    edited August 2006
    The Allendales are very multiplier limited - most of the clockspeed comes from the FSB. The 6400 has a default multi of 8, and if I want 3.5GHz (And I do), that's 500x7. I need PC8000.
    edited August 2006
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185027
    Change to that cooler and you can remove the fan from the list you have. Use the deluxe only if you need the extra sata slots. Abslutely no use for the deluxe otherwise and it isn't worth the extra cost. The 6400 is only $40 more than the 6300 so its a good call with the higher multi.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341001
    Only $20 more after a mir for a much better psu. Not cause its ocz, but it is much better. There are several m ir on that list so all in all with the adjustments i have mentioned, it looks very good. Can't you get the 24 inch dell for the same price?
    edited August 2006
    Dividers don't play ball with most 965 boards i'm afraid.
    edited August 2006
    Couple things:

I picked the HIPER PSU because it's been receiving GREAT reviews for more than a year, and a I really like the way they handle modular cabling. Modular is really important to me, as I hate running useless wires behind the motherboard tray. Can you find me something that will fit that bill?

Next, I went with the SI-120 as [H]ard|Forums were reporting it as a better choice for the CPU, but after some research, I decided on the Scythe Ninja or the Thermaltake BT. I just forgot to change it back.

Lastly, the Dell 24" is twice the price.

//EDIT:

Thanks for the tip on the Deluxe! I only need 2 SATA ports.
    edited August 2006
    On the other hand, the deluxe have up to 2.4 vdimm while the vanilla has 2.1. Thats a good reason itself for the deluxe. Strike the Dell idea as i thought it was lower. Same with the psu as well. Lower price and much better cable handling.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Dividers don't play ball with most 965 boards i'm afraid.
    Just go for the VERY good board and get the P5W. There are so many dividers available on the better Asus 775 boards that just about any quality DDR2 memory will perform very well.
    edited August 2006
    On the other hand, the deluxe have up to 2.4 vdimm while the vanilla has 2.1. Thats a good reason itself for the deluxe. Strike the Dell idea as i thought it was lower. Same with the psu as well. Lower price and much better cable handling.

I'm going with a "Black" motif with this computer. Black, quieter 120mm fans all around, no bling.. I feel old, now. BUT, the deluxe matches the black motif very well and I have a feeling I'll need that 2.3v
    edited August 2006
    All black and a nice etching of Sylvester Stallone dressed in a weird Gaultier desgin?
    edited August 2006
    All black and a nice etching of Sylvester Stallone dressed in a weird Gaultier desgin?

No, no. In classic Judge Dredd apparel.
    edited August 2006
    Well, the wishlist is done. I think I'm going to order it.. After 3 years, I think it's time for an upgrade. I have 1gb of OCZ 4000VX to off to offset the cost, as well as some old BH5 Corsair 3200.
    edited August 2006
    Wait just a little bit. The vieocard you chosed isn't working on the P5B yet, but it works on the Deluxe.
    edited August 2006
    I ended up selecting the P5W, because it's virtually the same price as the P5B Deluxe (Which I need for the VDIMM) and does work with the GX2.

I haven't hit order just yet.. Mostly a case of OMG-IT'S-SO-EXPENSIVE-ITIS.
    edited August 2006
    Get the P5B deluxe instead. GX2 works great on it and it clocks much better. Better bios support. Same voltages as the P5W DH. I have the P5W here as well and it doesn't clock nearly as good. No multi adjustment on it either.
    edited August 2006
    Done. And now my bloody monitor is out of stock. :werr:
    edited August 2006
    Thrax, any chance you can hit msn?
  • edited August 2006
    I'm another P5W owner that's telling you to go with the P5B Dlx, Thrax. The P5W is a decent board, but not great in it's ability to run high fsb speeds, which you will absolutely need for a 6400. I've found the following problems with my P5W so far (which is necessarily limited in experience since I only got to play with it for 4-5 days before going to work).

Limited fsb overclocking to around 400-435 fsb (depending on the individual board). Mine tops out around 415-420 without getting unstable.

Lack of using manual ram timings over 370 fsb. Will not even boot with manual settings much over 370 fsb, even if you set them to looser than spd timings for that ram speed. Also, when using the "set by spd" setting in bios, it actually sets my G. Skill ZX much looser than the programmed ram timings. And even if I try to manually set the same sloppy-ass ram timings, the damn board will not boot.:grumble:

And cooling on the nb and sb isn't the problem on my board either. I'm using a Swifty MCX159-Cu nb cooler and I removed the sb hs and replaced that crummy stock tim with Ceramique, plus removed that stupid aluminum cover off the sb so it gets better airflow. It also sits directly in the air path of a 120mm case fan in this Silverstone case I bought off Gnome.

As far as a hsf goes, I'm using an XP90-C with a 92mm Delta 3 blade and it kicks much ass for cooling. My folding temps average well less than 40 C with 2 clients folding.

As far as performance with Allendale versus Conroe, I've seen an immediate large difference on the work I'm presently folding on it now. I got in from work last night and my e6600 was waiting for me, so this afternoon I changed it out with my e6300 I bought 3-4 weeks ago. With the e6300 set at 420 X 7, it was averaging around 1250 ppd with 2 of the new beta wu's that are much like the old p147x/p1481's that did so well on Dothan rigs. Well, after I changed out to the e6600 today and I presently have it running at 333 X 9, it's doing the same series at a little over 2000 ppd. So the extra 2 MB cache does really help out in some instances. :)

I'll be bumping the speed up further later on, but I figured I'd see how my 6600 does at 3.0 to start with.