Windows version legit?

edited August 2006 in Science & Tech
I got me some OEM Windows XP Pro software the other day and when I installed it, it skipped the part where I enter my name and company. Then, once it was all loaded up, there was NO windows activation. Scared the Hell outta me, so I instantly went the MS and installed the Genuine patch and it accepted my software. Got all the updates too.

Just seems weird that I couldn't enter my name anywhere and there was no activation required. Other copies of OEM software I have purchased from Newegg had these features.

Thank goodness it's working though. I thought I was ripped!

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    where did you get it from, <s>in my experience</s> the corporate version, and and the ones with a vlk are the only ones that dont require activation.
  • edited August 2006
    Dang it, Airborn! Try to put my mind and ease and answer a few of my concerns before trying to get your grubby little hands on a copy! :vimp:
  • edited August 2006
    Airborn, PM sent.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2006
    Try googling your cd key if it comes up its pirated.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    eBay price too good to be true?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    If it passes windows genuine advantage, it's probably legit.
  • edited August 2006
    If it passes windows genuine advantage, it's probably legit.
    I thought that might be the case. That's why I immediately went to MS for the genuine check. You could probably hear my sigh of relief around the world!

As for Googling my key... Isn't there a way for people to look up past searches? I would hate for someone to look at recent user searches and find my key showing up in the list. I'm too scared to do that.

Guess I should mention... The guy who runs the storefront called me at home to ensure me all was on the up-and-up and explained to me the type of OEM software he was getting (don't ask, I forget - it just made me feel better that he called and explained). I'll probably be buying software from him again... oh yeah.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    ...The guy who runs the storefront called me at home to ensure me all was on the up-and-up and explained to me the type of OEM software he was getting...
    There are OEM versions (I believe when you buy a bulk license deal) where it is assumed that the store is going to pre-load Windows on the machine they just built for you. It saves the customer the trouble of doing the installation, plus allows the shop to use an image for a bunch of machines with identical hardware. The process goes exactly as you described in the first post.

I guess MS is afraid the customer is too dumb to enter the key themselves without doofing it up. :buck: