What'll happen if...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
What would happen if I "Safely" removed my primary SATA drive on my computer while booted into windows? :range:

It's like having a big red button saying "DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON!"

It's too hard to resist.:wave:

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    RWB wrote:
    What would happen if I "Safely" removed my primary SATA drive on my computer while booted into windows? :range:

It's like having a big red button saying "DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON!"

It's too hard to resist.:wave:

You'll probably just get a black screen or a bsod. Nothing harm removing it since it's hot-swappable. Same thing as pulling the powerplug :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    It'll continue to run in memory until the kernel or associated DLL makes a request from a file on the HDD, then it'll BSOD.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Yup... Thrax is correct. I did it to a system I was running off of an external HD, I safely removed it and about 3 sec's later it BSOD on me... I than plugged the HD back in and restarted the PC and it worked like a champ again. the test was pretty much pointless tbh :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Cool, so let's take a different route. I am running Vista off my other HDD, I unplugged the main HDD(while shut down) to make sure nothing happens to it when I installed Vista. Is it safe to plug in the other HDD while vista is running?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Well, in that event, you'd just have BSOD in a much richer GUI user experience! :D

... or something like that...I suppose...