Reducing Image Size by Batch

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited September 2006 in Internet & Media
Does anyone know of a way to reduce the size of a batch of jpg images only using tools within a standard windows xp build. Its at work so I cant download executables.

Thank you.

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    here ya go friend, http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

"Image Resizer
    This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click."
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    RichD wrote:
    Its at work so I cant download executables.

citrix, you silly goose. :wave:
    edited August 2006
    im a dummy , im sorry :(
    edited August 2006
    u can try this, but there is no batch option.
    http://www.resizr.com/
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    1) do you need to resize to a certain size, or by percent
    2) does the computer have java?
    3) what formats?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2006
    They are all jpg digital photographs. It would probably be better if I could specify the size i.e. 600x800. The originals are all different sizes too. It basically site survey information at about 5000 sites with an average of three photos per site hence why I don't want to do them individually. I know programs like photoshop have this facility but as it is at work I am restricted as to what I can do. I think we have java but not sure.

e.g. We can not down load audio from the internet. exe files are blocked from incoming e-mails even if you rename the extension. It is well strict.

Thanks for your help.
    edited September 2006
    I can write you something really quick that'll do this in java. You should be able to download it.

I guess the last question is how are the images organized? Are they all in main folder (and then subfolders), or what?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2006
    That would be great if you don't mind.

Its just one folder that contains all the photos. I only want to reduce the large files to a set image size ie 600x800. They are curently a mix of sizes as they have been taken on several cameras over about 5 years.

Thanks.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    SOmebody just rename the .exe to .rar?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I'm thinking he's not allowed to run executables. :)
    edited September 2006
    try mackanz's (thelostswede) solution first. If it doesn't work, then I'll work on it...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Its at work so I cant download executables.
    You can always download a file, any type, at home, rename it, and email it to work email account. An example would be to download abcdef.exe, simply remove the .exe, email it to yourself, and then add the .exe extension at your destination computer. I do this all the time with legitimate files that otherwise might be blocked by filters at my place of work's servers.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2006
    We used to do that but the email filter now opens the attachments and reads the code. Anything that looks like an exe is blocked. Ill download the linked file and take it home. Unfortunatly Im not online at home otherwise it would have been problem solved.

Cheers for your help.