DSL to Router config IP question?

gtghmgtghm New
edited September 2006 in Science & Tech
Currently I have my router networked to my DSL modem.

I can not access my DSL modems config via the GUI command, I have to type in the IP.

But, I am thinking that the IP address will change, and while I could possibly figure the right one, it would be nice to have the GUI work and know my router and modem are linked up the best/fastest way.

I saw that I could go into the host file and enter in the GUI command and the proper IP and that would force it to that IP address when I typed the GUI command.

However that does me no good if the dsl modems IP to the router address changes and my router or more importantly my computers on my network can not get the new IP for the link through the router so I can get to the GUI.

Thanks,
"g"

Comments

• edited September 2006
    While the WAN IP could change depending on what services you buy from your ISP the LAN IP is always going to be the same.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2006
    So lets say that normally to access most early routers GUI or settings you would type in 192.168.0.1 is that the LAN IP?

If I set my netgear to provide the DHCP and not the modem, will that mean that what ever LAN IP address in the range the modem assigns, say 192.168.0.1 to itself, that as long as the modems DHCP is off the modem will broadcast on the 192.168.0.1 forever, unless I reboot or reset the modem no matter when or what the WAN address changes to from my ISP?

"g"
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The WAN IP will change, not the LAN... so yeah if you can get to the router via 192.168.1.1 or whatever, that is the IP you will use unless you change it yourself.

Generally the IP's are handed out by MAC or Physical Address... since the MAC address doesn't change, unless you release/renew the IP from the client it shouldn't change.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The IP address of the router will never change regardless of which method you choose to assign IPs to your computers. If you decide to use DHCP to issue addresses automatically, set the lease time to the longest renewal period it allows.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    The IP address of the router will never change regardless of which method you choose to assign IPs to your computers. If you decide to use DHCP to issue addresses automatically, set the lease time to the longest renewal period it allows.

Currently I have it so my dsl modem dhcp is disabled and my router is dhcp enabled

"g"