What heatsinks are available for Intel's Core 2 Duo Processors?

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello

I wonder what are my options as for heatsinks for an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (like the E6600 or E6700)

I assume like with older processors, that the stock heatsink will not do the job as best, and there will be other heatsinks from companies which will cool the CPU a few more degrees at least.

I just dont know what are my options for this type of CPU.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    The make and model of motherboard would help, as depending on what heatsinks around the socket need to be cooled, a Gigabyte DS3 needs a big Typhoon or similar to cool the passive Northbridge, where as an Abit AB9 Pro needs a Zalman CNPS9500 to cool the heatsink in front of the I/O plate.

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    Im sorry

The motherboard will be the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, and I mentioned the CPU model.

But for example in zalman site under CNPS9500 cpu I don't see Core 2 Duo mentioned, and its their newest CPU heatsink, so I wonder which heatsinks (from any company) support this MB and CPU I mentioned.
    edited September 2006
    Core 2 Duo can run any heatsink that fits a 775 Socket.

I would definitely recommend the Zalman CNPS9500, as it is one of the few across the board blowing HSFs that sits low to the board. It comes in two variations, a pure 775 socket only or as a universal fitment with blue LEDs.

I run an Abit AB9 Pro with an E6600 @ 3 Gig running two instances of Folding@Home at 100% load 24/7 with the Zalman CNPS9500, the temps using Core Temp (for Core 2 Duo and AMD) with an ambient of 28C is 45C.

Hope that helps?

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    You probebly mean CNPS9500 AT and the CNPS9500 LED.

I assume both will perform the same, and the only difference between the 2 are the LEDs?

I also noticed the CNPS8000 on Zalman's site. It does look nicer and is slimmer, and weights much less.

The question is, does it perform better or worse than the CNPS9500? I am not sure, but I might settle on the CNPS8000 if the difference in is only in a couple degrees higher for the CNPS8000.

I hope you can help me with thos. I couldn't find a comparison between the two.

Thanks.
    edited September 2006
    If you are worried about weight, get one of the downward blowing HSF like the new Thermalright SI-128, SI-120, the upright Ultra-120, or even the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX, also look at the Scythe range.

May I ask what country you are in?

Datsun 1600

Zalman CNPS8000 review here.
  • edited September 2006
    I actually own one CNPS9500 and don't seem to have any problems, its a very efficient heatsink

I just woner, will temperatures of the E6600 or E6700 be higher or lower than an 3 year old 3GHZ HT Intel CPU?

I ask because even tho it is much newer and has 2 cores, it uses 65nm, which may affect some things like lower temperature maby.

So I just wonder which from these 2 CPUs will heat more. Obviously if the E6700 should be less hot, I may settle for the CNPS8000, and assume temperatures will be the same around the E6700 and the old 3GHZ CPU

I live in israel, and I don't have that much collention to choose from, but there is quality stuff. I don't think Scythe are known much arouid here (not in stores).

I will look into the alternative heatsinks you wrote as well, but I assume none are as effective as the ZALMAN CNPS9500 or even the CNPS8000? I hope you know the answer to this so I won't have to read much heh.

Thanks for the help.
    edited September 2006
    If you go to review link I posted, on the last page it gives you a summary of a lot of HSFs.

With the Asus P5W DH Deluxe, with the heatpipe heatsink where it is the 9500 would cool it better.

I reckon, at stock speeds the E6700 would be cooler than the 3 Gig HT chip.

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    I have a P5W DH and am running an e6600 in it, using an XP90-C with a 92mm Delta 3 blade fan for my hsf. The Zalman 9500 should work decently on an e6600 or e6700, as well as any of the others that Datsun 1600 mentioned. Core 2 Duo is a lot easier to cool than a hot running Prescott P4 or the netburst dual core series, especially if you don't do extreme overclocking with it. As far as weight is concerned with the 9500, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you take your computer to a lot of lan parties or move it around a lot. As far as for cooling the northbridge and southbridge, Asus stuck a stupid piece of aluminum plate across the top of both the northbridge and southbridge heatsinks. Just pry it off (only some sticky glue holds it on) and your cooling on them will improve a lot. I also recommend removing them and getting rid of the stock thermal interface material, which is crap, and replace it with something like Arctive Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    If you aren't going to overclock the CPU, the stock Intel heatsink will work just fine. As stated above, just about any heatsink specified for Socket 775 will work with your system. As for weight of the heatsink, it really doesn't matter as long as the heatsink's motherboard backplate is beefy enough. I know for a fact that the Big Typhoon's and Scythe Ninja's backplates are strong enough that you can walk around with the motherboard by holding the CPU heatsink with no ill effect whatsoever.
  • edited September 2006
    I will be getting the P5W DH Deluxe

Are you sure about messing with the bridges and replacing the thermal paste with something else? It doesn't sound like something one should do.

Is the cooling not good enough? Will I be able to check its temperature?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Are you sure about messing with the bridges and replacing the thermal paste with something else? It doesn't sound like something one should do. Is the cooling not good enough? Will I be able to check its temperature?

Why not change out the thermal paste? Motherboard manufacturers, nearly all brands, Asus included, use very cheap, inefficient silicone-based thermal paste on heatsinks. Sure it will work and is reliable, but it's not for overclocking. It's also not good if the computer is run in an overly warm room. Silicone paste is a low common denominator solution that is used simply because it's convenient for assembly line manufacturing processes and is very inexpensive. But please don't overclock with that lowgrade stuff. For the CPU and northbridge, the silicone paste is not good enough. You would need to replace it with Zalman thermal paste, Arctic Silver or equivalent such as OCZ's.

If you game a lot with a high powered video card (even not so high powered), you would do well to remove the silicone paste on the vid card as well and replace with better stuff. I replace the silicone paste on all my CPUs, northbridges, mosfett chips, and northbridges with either Arctic Silver 5 or Zalman's thermal solution.

Monitoring temperatures. Your Asus motherboard's software CD should include Asus Probe II, which is an excellent system monitoring software.