Will this MOBO fit in a Dell 2300 case?

edited September 2006 in Hardware
http://www.asrock.com/product/P4VM800.htm
The Board above

I give up on my 2300 & found this board at a local store for $400TT = $66US. I still don't know if the cpu is good though. Look at the symptoms here http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49628 the CPU is not the problem right???
It got the Asrock I/O shield to fit the ports if the case ports are different.
I already noticed the mouse & KB ports are vertical unlike the original 2300 MOBO.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I think so. That motherboard looks like a micro ATX format (small). I have no idea what case you are talking about. It would help if you would post a link to the computer so we can get an idea of the case size. I'm assuming it's a rather small case.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2006
    Pics of the inside of the case, the backplate, and the mobo you are looking into would be great. Also, take note on the power supply size and cable pinout requirements.
  • edited September 2006
    I looked that model number on Dell's website and came up with this page. Does that look like your system, groovemaster1? If it is, then that Asrock board should fit inside that case, but you will probably have to do some jury-rigging on the front panel connectors such as the power switch, power light and hard drive light connectors. I looked at that documentation and it looks like your Dell does use a standard ATX psu plug scheme, so you shouldn't have to change the psu at least. But don't expect much in the way of overclocking or upgrading the video card as that box only has a measly 200 watt psu.:shakehead
  • edited September 2006
    THANKS GUYS!!!

Yes, that's the system
    I'm actually using a codegen atx 350W psu. I'm gonna use the old celeron 1.7GHz from the 2300 (Did you check the link with the problem?). I already got a pic of how to rewire the power & lights (No biggie), but usb might be a problem (As if I'm ever gonna use all 6 ports at the back???)

I've never actually built a system, but I did some repairs for myself & friends..........I'd like to know if I'm just going to screw down the MOBO on the plate or will I get some insulated 'stick on thingy' to put on the MOBO before attaching to the aluminum plate so it wouldn't ground off on the case, or was it made to ground off???
    I will also have to remove the factory back plate (I/O Panel). But on the dell it only has 4 slots for cards at the back........ so what will happen to the AMR slot........will this cause some problem with the AGP slot not aligning with the case?
  • edited September 2006
    You should be able to use the same mounts as the present Dell board to mount the mobo; they are pretty well standardized in the industry as to mounting position on the holes in the mobo. Just make sure that the Dell doesn't have an extra mount where your replacement Asrock board doesn't have one because you could possibly short the new mobo out. I just checked the processor compatibility list out and it looks like that Asrock mobo will support your old Celeron 1.7, so you should be good to go there also. As far as the AMR slot, it shouldn't misalign anything with the back of the case; again, that space is pretty well standardized in the industry. Your new mobo should come with it's own i/o backplane panel, so you should be able to swap it out with the present one in the case.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2006
    Somebody will confirm this but,,, Don't Dells have their own config for the power connector? If so you will have to replace the PSU or get some converter?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    bothered wrote:
    Somebody will confirm this but,,, Don't Dells have their own config for the power connector? If so you will have to replace the PSU or get some converter?

Some do.. Some don't. Quite the expensive gamble.
  • edited September 2006
    That's why I posted the link to the tech info on that machine. In it you will see that it gives a pinout on the ATX connector. I looked at that and then compared it to the pinout on a board that I know uses a standard ATX connector pinout and they looked to me to be the same. But I figured it wouldn't hurt if someone else looked at this and confirmed it. BTW, Thrax is right about Dell having produced some machines with a proprietary pinout on the ATX connector and some having an industry standard pinout. If you don't check this very carefully you can definitely fry some equipment real easily.

Also, notice that groovemaster's answer in his second post in this thread says that he is already using a Codgen psu (which has a standard pinout). :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Most new Dells are being produced with a standard ATX PSU these days. Like mudd says, you need to check the pinout specs to be certain.

groovemaster is safe either way, since he's using a PSU that is definitely ATX - and, while it is only 350W, it's still better than the 250W PSU that Dell uses as a standard feature.
  • edited September 2006
    I'm still not clear on the grounding of the MOBO??? Does it have to touch the plate (Tray) or will I get the 'stickies' to put on the MOBO before screwing onto the case???

BTW as I said before I'm using a standard PSU, so I'm safe!!! :)
    As for the power pins & system LED's, I already have a pic of how to rewire it & I wouldn't be using the front USB at this present moment, probably will try rewiring it after I install windows. (The 2300 has 2 front USB & headphone)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The board should mount to "standoffs", which are brass pins which screw into the case side. The motherboard is then screwed into the standoffs, which keeps the board off of the metal siding of the case.
  • edited September 2006
    THere are 4 brass 'standoffs' on the dell case for the black plastic heatsink holder to be screwed to the case & then about 6 'risers' for the other holes in the MOBO.
  • edited September 2006
    As far as grounding of the mobo goes, it should be grounded through the mounting screws. As for mounting the board into the case, there should either be some little brass or steel risers screwed (or spot welded) into the mobo tray or possibly some raised areas on the mobo tray that have tapped screwholes in them (I've seen a few cases built like that). Just make sure that there are no mounts that touch the mobo except at the mobo's mounting holes. I've seen some cases and boards that might have an extra mounting hole along the back edge closest to the slots and ports in the backplane panel.