Dell question...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Sometimes I get a call from people trying to connect with their Dell, of course everythingis working on my end of the network, but it seems their Laptop is running in some kind of powersave mode where the etherenet has been disabled in a way that it doesn't even show up in the Device Manager. This is when running on batteries of course, and people scoff at the idea of having to be plugged into a powersource on their laptops or for whatever DUMB reason they don't have a power cord.

Anyways, those of you with Dells mayknow about this one, how do I remedy it?

Comments

• edited September 2006
    I dont have one in front of me, but I believe there was something in the CMOS settings controlling what the computer does and doesnt do in power save mode.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Go to Device Manger. Find the network card, "Network Adapter" or "Wireless Adapter", or whatever it's called for the particular computer. Open Properties, select the Power Management tab. There will be a box to tick/untick - "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". That may solve the problem.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Well this is for an ethernet connection, which doesn't show up in the device manager. And it does exist, but is turned off somehow.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Seems like any network adapter should show up. Oh well.

BTW, if their is no power management tab under properties, that might instead be a "Power Saving Mode" under the Advanced properties tab.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Well I know some power save modes with fully turn off devices, and won't even show up in the device manager... usually by a switch, or hotkey, or some kind of software. I just don't know which is for this laptop, it was a D420.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Sorry for being late...

Dell Quickset is the issue.... By default, Quickset disables internal RJ45 port to save power since, when on battery, you are not providing power so why plug in network.

Launch Quickset and look for power settings and one of the tabs clearly indicates that the internal will be powered off and disabled. Uncheck it and it should stay active even on battery.

Let me know if that fixes it...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Thanks, if I ever have this issue again with a guest I will see if it works...