Bad Sata????

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hey this is my first post. I just got a new Maxtor SATA 250GB HDD. Im running a ASUS A8V mobo and for some reason i cant get windows to pick up the drive so i can use it. The comp sees the drive in the POST and when I boot useing my old IDE it sees the drive in the device manager, yet when i go through the steps of the install to run Win XP Pro it does not show up at all. I have done the creating the disk from my mobo CD and it is the right disk cuz they walked my through it after i got feed up with trying to do it on my own. Im kinda thinking the SATA drive is bad mainly cuz it powes on but still does not really sound nor feel like its active at all. I just dont think SATA is that advanced that it does not move nor make a sound when in use. I have asked a few friends and they support my idea as well. Just thought I would see what everyone here thought.:leet:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Do have Windows up to date with both SP1 and SP2? Yes, it does seem logical that installing the drivers from your motherboard CD would do the trick, but maybe Windows is not recognizing both the SATA controller and the SATA drive.

Now, considering that the drive is seen in the BIOS, you should be able to run your SATA hard drive's fitness test. You can get the diagnostic test software from the manufacturer's site.

That's the best I can offer you as I've never run SATA hard drives.