disk boot failure, insert system disk

edited September 2006 in Hardware
I made this PC about 2 years ago. It never has given me any issues until a few days ago I encountered a problem I can't even begin to understand. I was playing Guild wars online and suddenly it went into sleep mode and would not come back by pressing the keyboard or anything. So I tried to shut it down and restart and it turned on but still stuck in sleep mode. I have looked online for similar problems and solutions but none have worked (I am not sure if I am doing the CMOS resetting correctly though).

A day before this happened I had moved and decided to clean the computer. I vacummed all the dust out of it. It worked perfectly fine for a while after that when I connected it and started playing.

I tried taking out the battery over night and then putting it back in and still the same problem. Im hoping its not a hardware problem. Fans are working, but I dont hear any beeps or anything when the computer turns on. I am not sure if the harddrive is responding as well because I dont hear any sounds coming from it. I think maybe I let in static or something and the computer shut itself down to protect itself or something got burnt out. But it was working fine when I turned it on.

Any help would be appreciated. Please some1 help me fix this.

Nforce 2
256MB Radeon 9200 series
Asus Av7n8x Mother board

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    You unplug the power and then move the CMOS jumper over to the other two pins. A minute is plenty. Put the jumper back and plug the cors in and try to re-boot
    Leave the side off so that you can see if the fans spin and if the drives run.

It may be that you lost the power supply.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Do what edcentric said, it's good advice. :)

You might also check to see that you didn't bump anything loose while you were doing your cleaning. It could be that a card or cable was bumped slightly out of place and finally worked itself loose. I've seen that happen many times.
  • edited September 2006
    I tried to do that, but im not exactly sure what the jumpers are on my motherboard. I found 2 pins near the video card area that were covered by 2 blue covers. I moved those 2 covers to the next two pins that followed them and left them on for a few minutes. Set them back and connected computer and still same problem. Fans are working but still same problem. There are some other pins on the mother board with the blue covers, so I am not exactly sure which 1 is the jumper.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    The jumper you're looking for is probably located very close to the CMOS battery. Then there is always the manual... ;)
  • edited September 2006
    yeah, not sure where the manual is, computer is 2 years old. Between all the moving from school and stuff, I am sure i lost it. Ill check to see if I can find it or find a substitute online.
  • edited September 2006
    Hmm, now i really did it... I found a manual and tried the jumper, didnt work. So I got frustrated and decided to switch the watts on the power supply from 115 to 230 by moving the pink button and I turned on computer to see what would happen. A few seconds after I turned on the computer shutdown and I started to smell smoke coming from the power supply.

Before the LED green light on motherboard would be on. Now after this Computer wont turn on at all and the green light is not on neither are the fans. I am guessing I burnt the power supply and god knows what else. I can only smell smoke coming from power supply though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Your PSU was an american standard 115v power supply. It takes 115v@60Hz from the wall and modulates it down to what components require.

You might imagine that 230 volts worth of electricty will kill things. You definitely killed the power supply, and you'll be lucky if your mobo/CPU are still okay.
  • edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Your PSU was an american standard 115v power supply. It takes 115v@60Hz from the wall and modulates it down to what components require.

You might imagine that 230 volts worth of electricty will kill things. You definitely killed the power supply, and you'll be lucky if your mobo/CPU are still okay.

Well it looks like I am a lucky guy... Bought a new power supply, installed it and everything seems to be working perfectly. It is not on sleep mode anymore and it loaded up windows. Thanks for all the help guys. Phew...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Well it looks like I am a lucky guy... Bought a new power supply, installed it and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Holy cow! Do you realize how lucky you are! :honoes:

I'm happy for you, truly. Please, please work with us in the future and we'll endeavor to steer you away from high-voltage experiments. Nor really making fun of you here, just want to let you know that we happily work with computer-interested people regardless of their skill and ability levels.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    If your psu is in good shape it would have survived.
    It had already failed, you just finished it off.
  • edited September 2006
    So... Computer worked fine for about a week or two and suddenly while it was on, it just froze. I Pressed power button to reboot and when it was starting up again it gave me some nvidia boot agent failure Build 2.0, PXE-61 Media test failure.

Now i tried changing the order around in the biso for the boot priority. It recognizes hard drive and cdrom but still won't load up. Sometimes it gives me that error and sometimes it just says Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

If I put in the windows XP cd it will take me to the installing windows screen, but when I try to boot from hardrive it doesnt work. I researched online and found that some people fixed this problem by buying a new CMOS battery. I tried that and still same problem. Any help would be appreciated. To think, this computer ran so well for a few years and now its giving me all these problems...
  • edited September 2006
    That is the error I get after I disable other boot devices. If I don't disable it I get nvidia boot agent failure. Build 2.0 PXE-E61 Media test failure.

So... Computer worked fine for about a week or two and suddenly while it was on, it just froze. I Pressed power button to reboot and when it was starting up again it gave me some nvidia boot agent failure Build 2.0, PXE-61 Media test failure.

Now i tried changing the order around in the bios for the boot priority. It recognizes hard drive and cdrom but still won't load up. Sometimes it gives me that error and sometimes it just says Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

If I put in the windows XP cd it will take me to the installing windows screen, but when I try to boot from hardrive it doesnt work. I researched online and found that some people fixed this problem by buying a new CMOS battery. I tried that and still same problem. Any help would be appreciated. To think, this computer ran so well for a few years and now its giving me all these problems...

Do you trhink hard drive died? The computer still recognizes it, it just can't access it. I have tried checking the cables andreplugging everything.
  • edited September 2006
    Can any1 help me? Please...
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2006
    I vacummed all the dust out of it ...

I hope you didn't use the vacuum cleaner, because it could destroy the electronic parts, when it gets electric charged.
    It takes only 100 Volt to do the job, and the computer part death can be delayed 2 months or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

Use canned air when you clean the computer.

(Just a precaution)

But failure can happened anyway "our lovely Murphy", so lets se what we can do about that.

If you are able to download the UBCD program and make an bootable CD, you can test the hard disk drive and the computer memory.

You find the UBCD program here,
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Or you can download the hard disk test program from the manufactures site, and create a bootable 3.5" floppy disk.

Also you can test the memory using the Memtest86 software (3.5" bootable floppy).
    http://www.memtest86.com/
  • edited September 2006
    thanks for the program and adivce. Ill test it out when I have a chance. Yeah I figured the vacum would cause that, but I have been doing that for a long time and nothing ever happened. I definitely will not do it again though. Have spent around 200 bucks to replace everything so far. New hard drive is working and everything else as well.

I wouldn't mind finding out if the old hardrive still works or not, bc I had a lot of stuff saved on there that might be lost now.