Sledge Has Joined The Core 2 Duo Groupies

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
I feel so guilty.. I have gone against the grain and bought myself a new Core 2 Duo setup. So here are the specs for my new Rig :) should all arive in the next few days :)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor
ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775)
1 - Nvidia 7900GTX 512MB Graphic Card - already have
2 - CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
1 - Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s - already have
1 - Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s - already have
Antec PERFORMANCE Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - already have
APEVIA (ASPIRE) ATX-AS600W-BK ATX12V/ EPS12V 600W Power Supply - already have

Total upgrade cost = $653.27 not to shabby if you ask me :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=21195&d=1159084792

I think this setup should perform pretty good... lets see how she OC's :)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    First thrax, now sledge.....

End of days :-/
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I am not giving up on AMD.. I still have plenty of High end AMD rigs running... and I will own a 4x4 system if the performance is upto par. I just love being on some sort of cutting edge. The e6400 shows great OC'ing in all the benchmarks I have seen.. hopefully we can get somoe 3.0Ghz+ readings from this bad boy :)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    You need a heatsink in the Big typhoon class if you do over 1.55 volts for some serious overclocking m8. And, replace tha original fan on it too. It's by all means not bad at all, but a cheap Yate Loon 120mm fan will do wonder. But god almighty, no AMD will touch your rig in performance for a while.
    edited September 2006
    What do you guys think of the setup? good? bad? is the ram a good choice? I know I picked solid items but it is always good to get reassurance :)
    edited September 2006
    Swede can you provide some links of good Heat sinks for this little C2D :) how are the Zalmans working out? I have a few Zalman 7700's & 7000's that say they are compliant with the socket? this is my first Core 2 Duo build so I don't know what to be watching for
    edited September 2006
    The sinks i have tested are Big Typhoon, Zalman 9500 and an old Thermalright XP-120. The Zalman is the best so far, but only with a few degrees which could be blamed on a good/poor contact. Zalman is coming out with a 110mm version of that sink any day now. I would hold on for that.
    edited September 2006
    The sinks i have tested are Big Typhoon, Zalman 9500 and an old Thermalright XP-120. The Zalman is the best so far, but only with a few degrees which could be blamed on a good/poor contact. Zalman is coming out with a 110mm version of that sink any day now. I would hold on for that.

Yeah but the premium for it I'm sure will not be worth it...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Scythe Ninja, Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Thermalright Ultra-120, Zalman 9500. I run the U-120, and it's amazing.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Zalman is coming out with a 110mm version of that sink any day now. I would hold on for that.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. Zalman makes very good quality and aesthetically pleasing hardware, but they aren't top tier in performance. We'll see what the "110mm version" can do, but if it's not a major advance, it's my opinion that Zalman's heyday was two or three years ago when they were they only ones incorporating high performance and low noise into high quality sinks. I wouldn't put the Zalman 9500 in the same class as the other sinks Thrax listed. I have not tried the Thermalright heatsinks but have used the Typhoon, Ninja, and 9500 extensively with different CPUs and case configurations. In my experience, the 9500 simply can't keep pace with the Typhoon and Ninja, but it's quite a looker in a windowed case. No CPU cooler looks better than the 9500.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon vs. Scythe Ninja vs. Zalman CNPS 9500
    edited September 2006
    Started to get the parts today :) they all say they are out for delivery but I only got the CPU and 1 ram stick thus far... Man UPS trucks are out early today :)

I will have images up when I get the beast together tonight.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    First thrax, now sledge.....

End of days :-/
    You know, if I were in the market for a new computer I just might... :p
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    You know, if I were in the market for a new computer I just might... :p Buy all of Sledgehammers old PC parts :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    By "old", do you mean the parts you received today? :tongue2:
  • edited September 2006
    Looks like a real nice setup, Sledge. You will find that C2D's performance to be very "AMD like" compared to Netburst, but even better in the speed department.:thumbsup:

As for cooling C2D, I would go with Thrax's list, but also add the Thermalright XP90-C to the list too. It does an amazing job as wel, when coupled with a 92mm Delta high speed 3 blade fan and isn't real noisy (it is audible but not really annoying). Plus the XP90-C is a lot lower profile than the upright heatsinks and also lower profile than the BT too. And like the BT, it also has the airflow through it also helping to cool the components on the mobo, which is the main drawback I see with the upright types such as the U-120 and Ninja.
    edited September 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Looks like a real nice setup, Sledge. You will find that C2D's performance to be very "AMD like" compared to Netburst, but even better in the speed department.:thumbsup:

As for cooling C2D, I would go with Thrax's list, but also add the Thermalright XP90-C to the list too. It does an amazing job as wel, when coupled with a 92mm Delta high speed 3 blade fan and isn't real noisy (it is audible but not really annoying). Plus the XP90-C is a lot lower profile than the upright heatsinks and also lower profile than the BT too. And like the BT, it also has the airflow through it also helping to cool the components on the mobo, which is the main drawback I see with the upright types such as the U-120 and Ninja.

The joyful part is I picked a Mobo that can just about host any CPU fan/heat sink the memory is very far away from the socket and everything else is very low profile allowing clearance for bigger bases... I think I will stick with stock cooling for the time being and slowly start to OC the system... the e6400 is just above & below the FX62 in most benchmarks so I figure a light OC will give me the edge... As most of you know I am not a huge Oc'er so we will see what happens.
  • edited September 2006
    That's the beauty of C2D; you don't have to be much of an overclocker to get a decent overclock out of it. Intel really had their act together when they designed this series of processors and a 3 GHz overclock is pretty simple. Another bonus with running your fsb overclocked at 400 and higher fsb speeds is that you can run your ram at a 1:1 ratio at your ram's PC2-6400 specs. How much higher than 400 fsb and running 1:1 depends on the headroom your ram has more than the processor's abilities.
    edited September 2006
    from the looks and sounds of it, I have seen nothing but awesome OC'ing scores with the same setup I am getting. The corsair and Mobo have proven to be huge awesome and stable OC'ing parts.... even with stock cooling
    edited September 2006
    She's Alive!!!!!!!

I have not really pushed her all that much, well really not much at all. I am just running on a boosted Bus speed from 266 to 300, I was running at 400 earlier but didn't feel I should OC it that high with stock cooling. It actually ran pretty stable without having to adjust much just took the swede's advice and dropped the CL 1 setting and put the memory to 2.0v.....
    1.jpg 101.3K
    2.jpg 82.8K
    3.jpg 75.5K
    edited September 2006
    and more....
    4.jpg 88.2K
    5.jpg 80.5K
    edited September 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    I wouldn't hold my breath. Zalman makes very good quality and aesthetically pleasing hardware, but they aren't top tier in performance. We'll see what the "110mm version" can do, but if it's not a major advance, it's my opinion that Zalman's heyday was two or three years ago when they were they only ones incorporating high performance and low noise into high quality sinks. I wouldn't put the Zalman 9500 in the same class as the other sinks Thrax listed. I have not tried the Thermalright heatsinks but have used the Typhoon, Ninja, and 9500 extensively with different CPUs and case configurations. In my experience, the 9500 simply can't keep pace with the Typhoon and Ninja, but it's quite a looker in a windowed case. No CPU cooler looks better than the 9500.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon vs. Scythe Ninja vs. Zalman CNPS 9500

The 9500 i tested actually showed better temps than the Big Typhoon. Not by much, but better none the less.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    I run my E6400 @2720Mhz (340 x 8 Corsair 5400UL at 3.3.3.8 on a Gigabyte DS3) 24/7 doing F@H, stock everything except a Zalman 9500. Tops out at 3080Mhz on stock volts.

Datsun 1600
    edited September 2006
    Well I did some playing at got the Cores upto 3.24Ghz on air but the temps once again were getting to hot to really feel safe so I backed her down, I had the memory screaming at 600MHz - 1200Ghz Dual channel :) but this core is very much showing it can OC very well. I have yet to get an unstable boot or a BSOD... ASUS, Corsair & Intel For The Win....
    edited September 2006
    I wanna see a screenshot of that DDR1200 m8.
    edited September 2006
    NP will do tonight :)
  • edited September 2006
    I see that your next investment will be a high end hsf, Sledge. :D

These Conroe and Allendale procs are so much fun to play with, aren't they?
    edited September 2006
    I wanna see a screenshot of that DDR1200 m8.

Here is your screenshot... the PC failed after about 30 minutes on this setting.... I need a new cooler :( If I try to go any higher the OC fails 400 BUs speed is my max at this point. I think I might be able to go higher but with my noob skills I am not sure I want to. I figure 3.0Ghz is good, but 3.2Ghz just isn't stable with stock cooling.
    edited September 2006
    I see now. You are only running Single channel. But nice memory speeds, none the less.
    edited September 2006
    I see now. You are only running Single channel. But nice memory speeds, none the less.

Yeah that is intresting I have the 2 sticks in the slots the mobo manuals says to have them in.. but it says they are single... what the heck? should they be in slot A1-A2 or A1-B1? the manual says A1-A2 so that waht I did, I know some mobos are A1-B1....
    edited September 2006
    It's either 1+3 or 2+4 from the cpu m8.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Although I don't know that particular board, I do know Asus Intel boards pretty well. You should get dual channel buy occupying both like colored DIMMs. Either both yellow DIMMs or both black DIMMs should be occupied.