Messed up my bios...got it reflashed...still won't boot—Help!!

voltavolta Pennsylvania
edited September 2006 in Hardware
I've got an asus a7n8x-la v. 2.01 from a compaq presario s4110cl. I had recently updated the bios to v. 3.21 without saving the original (and I have no idea what version that was). Some minor problems were occurring which may or may not have been bios-related, but I felt the need to tamper with things man was not meant to touch and flashed it with an older version (3.07), which I incidently got from this thread where people were reporting great success with it.

I don't know if it was a corrupted file or if I inadvertantly screwed up something much bigger in the process, but my computer won't boot up or send a signal to the monitor. When I press the power button (or flip the switch on the back) the green power light flashes and disappears while the hd light stays on for a while but disappears eventually as well. I sent the chip away to get reflashed, and the guy was able to flash the more stable v. 3.07 on it but when I put it back in, the computer gave me the same response.

I'm beginning to think that this bios v. just isn't compatible with my board's particular revision.

Here's an 8 second video of me trying to start up the computer. The orange light disappears at 32 seconds. http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/21amps/?action=view&current=MVI_1199.flv And here is what is supposed to be a nice hi-res image of the motherboard...maybe some connectors are loose or something.

Is my motherboard messed up or is the problem in the bios version or even the chip itself? I don't want to wait much longer to fix this but I also don't want to waste a lot of money experimenting with possible solutions. :sad2:

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Is there a BIOS version available from Compaq? That would be the place to start, at least it should run.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2006
    Did you send the complete unit for bios flash, or just the motherboard and the memory ?

If you only sent the mobo, then test with only one memory stick at the time.
    If one mem stick is bad, the mobo will not boot.

Here is the link to your motherboard.
  • voltavolta Pennsylvania
    edited September 2006
    I sent just the chip away for reflash. But anyway, I tried booting up several times, testing each memory slot individually, only to get the same response. Also removed both and got the memory error beep message.

Is it possible that v. 3.07 just isn't compatible with my board revision? HP tech support said it originally shipped with v. 2.51, so that might have been the one I had before switching to 3.21. I know if I get a new chip I'll have it flashed with 3.21, just because I know it works. But I'm wondering if there could be a problem with the board itself that I'm not aware of.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    But I'm wondering if there could be a problem with the board itself that I'm not aware of.
    That is possible.