EVGA 512MB 7950GT KO or 1Gb EVGA 7950GX2, Superclocked,

VicarVicar Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
I have narrowed my search for a graphic card to either the 512MB EVGA 7950GT KO or 1Gb EVGA 7950GX2, Superclocked.

Please advice which is the better card to go for, and is it compatible with my mobo. I am not intrested in Sli at the moment just one good graphic card and my mobo is a Supermicro H8 DCE.

All I want is a good single card that will last me a 'few years', main use is video editing, gamming etc. I know DX10 cards are round the corner, but i can't wait. All advice appriciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Anybody out there who can help(Smile)?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The GX2 is quite a bit faster, however, what is your motherboard?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    my mobo is a Supermicro H8 DCE.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Thrax motherboard is a Supermicro H8DCE, do you forsee any problems?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I'm going to tentatively say that it will work as long as you have the very newest BIOS for your board. Reading around, I read several threads of people using the card in your board, which suggests to me that it works.

** WARNING **
    I cannot guarantee that the card WILL work. I only have empirical evidence to go on. I know for a fact that SLI nVidia cards work (Two 7900GTs, for example), which generally indicates that a GX2 will work, but I can't make promises.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Many Thanks
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The 7950 will be a bit faster depending on the games you play and what res. you monitor is. If you are only powering a screen in 1280 x 1024 the 7900 GTX will do just find and in most cases outperform the 7950GX2. If you have a screen that runs larger Res's than the 7950GX2 will outpace the 7900GTX 512MB card.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    My screen is a ViewSonic G220f, which can display from 1600x1200 to 2048x1536.
    From what you are all saying i believe the 7950GX2 is the way to go.

Many thanks for all your help.