profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited October 2006 in Hardware
What do you think of this hard drive?

Review

Any comments would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    a lot of doa reports, but IMO in general seagate makes great drives.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Seagate is what I buy when I buy a hdd. for right now anyway, they seem to be the best to me.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I've decided I no longer have a favorite. I'm running Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate, and Maxtor. (I forgot what's in the laptop. Samsung?) Only Maxtor would I not recommend, due to failures I've experienced. The price on that drive you linked is 30 cents per Gigabyte. How could you go wrong? In my opinion, if the rotational speeds and cache size are the same, I really don't think there's that much difference these days between the major manufacturers.

Without having tested for sound volume, my ears tell me that my Seagate and Hitachi Deskstar are the quietest.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Agreeed with Leo.....
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    yeh, maxtors I wont touch. western digitals are okay, but the only thing I really like that they have are the raptors. hitachi is supposed to make good drives, but ive never heard or had personal experience with them.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    83% give it 5 stars and it's damn cheap. I'd buy it. Hell, I may even do that in the next week or so. Nice find.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I'm using a Seagate SATA 250gb drive with less cache and sans perpendicular recording. And... I love it. Quietest drive I've ever owned, and faster than my special edition Western Digital PATA drive. I suppose Seagate has always made quiet drives, though, becaues the 6gb Seagate drive in IC_11 is the second-quietest drive I own :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Looks like this is going to be the one.

Thanks, everyone. :wave:
  • edited September 2006
    I've been looking at that very same drive, prof. My last 3 hard drives I've bought have all been Seagate and the've been great. And you can't beat a 5 year warrantee for that price either. :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    The drive has been ordered and should get here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes once it gets here.

Thanks to all for their input. :wave:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I just purchased another Seagate last week - 160GB PATA Barricuda (8MB buffer, 7200). It a great drive - quiet and fast. I've become a huge fan of Seagate. As long as Seagate stays strong and my Hitachi Deskstars stay reliable (throw off the IBM legacy), I will probably be Seagate and Hitachi only for new acquisitions. For silky smooth, quiet operation though, Hitachi Deskstar is super.