Case Opinions Requested

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited November 2006 in Hardware
Anyone have any experience with this case?

Anything better in that price range that you would recommend?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Looking for a replacement for your beast, I see. ;)

I don't have any experience with that particular case, but I have heard some good things about Aspire cases... and you know Newegg treats you right, so if there's something wrong with it, they'll make good.

I'm doubtful that that particular case will provide proper cooling, though. Did you see the rear exhaust fan grille? It appears that it could accommodate up to a 120MM fan, though... if you gave it a hit with the dremel to knock out that grille completely, it might do pretty well...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Those fan grills are absolutely ghastly.

Take a look into the Gigabyte Aurora. Yes, I own one, but it's an amazingly-good case.

//edit: yes, it's a little more expencive, but I feel it just might be worth it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Those fan grills are absolutely ghastly.
    I agree wholeheartedly, but they won't be there for long should I go ahead with this case. :ninja:
    Take a look into the Gigabyte Aurora. Yes, I own one, but it's an amazingly-good case.

//edit: yes, it's a little more expensive, but I feel it just might be worth it.
    My first priority is a new hard drive. That case looks great, but it would put me a little over budget. I will keep it in mind, should I be able to swing both items. :)
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    Have four of these cases, have decent airflow and house various dual-core dedicated folders.

Datsun 1600
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I second Datsun's recommendation.
    edited September 2006
    How would the Cooler Master look with pasty-beige optical drives? What are the chances of modding the front 80mm fan opening to 120mm? :)

PS: I am kind of set on a nice side panel window - ain't never had one before. :mullet:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I am kind of set on a nice side panel window - ain't never had one before.
    Which you can accomplish very nicely with a jigsaw (with high quality blade) and a couple good quality metal files for finish work, with steel or aluminum. It's a lot of hard work, but is nothing technical. Yeah, of course, there's the Dremel advocates, but I understand you'll go through quite a few cutting bits.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I made my side window with dremel cutting wheels. I used around 4 to 5 probably.

Just make sure that you get the beffiest ones that they have, they cost more but last so much longer.

also, it is the heat that tears them up, so if you plunge right in and start ripping away, the wheel will be smoked in a couple of minutes.

If you go slow, and make "strokes" with the wheel just taking off a little every time, the wheel will last much longer, just apply enough force to keep it down, but not to much. you can tell when it get hot, because it will start degrading rapidly.

also, if you go slow, you will get a much cleaner cut, pending you dont slip.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Prof when it comes to cases, It mainly comes down to what appeals to you. Coolermaster makes a few great cases, I have one that is awesome, everything is hotswapable, and is very nice especially the HD's... No screws :)

I prefer some of the higher end Antec cases, they are a bit bulker but are built to last... I am running on a few of these and they just keep cool and quite.. http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=90511# it has space for let see... 6 80mm fans or 4-80 and 1-120mm.... the hard drive bays are removeable, and it has a nice front panel for sound and speakers along with a firewire connection.

The inside is great for older hardware as there is tons fo room, and the front cover will close to hide those evil miscolored drives :) and man does she look pretty at night with some blue lights :)

I also run a few of these bad boys

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=11%2D119%2D029%2D13%2Ejpg%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D15%2Ejpg%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D16%2Ejpg%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D08%2Ejpg%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D12%2Ejpg%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D04%2EJPG%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D10%2Ejpg%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D11%2Ejpg%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D17%2Ejpg%2C11%2D119%2D029%2D14%2Ejpg&CurImage=11%2D119%2D029%2D13%2Ejpg&Description=COOLER+MASTER+Praetorian+PAC%2DT01%2DE1+Silver+All+Aluminium+Alloy+ATX+Mid+Tower+Computer+Case+%2D+Retail

they run very quite and ver coold, and even look cool with biege drives :)

But I think these cases might be out of the price range by allot :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    comps1.jpg

I have to many cases Prof :)
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Anyone have any experience with this case?

Anything better in that price range that you would recommend?

I don't have that case, but my friend does.
    He really likes it, and his temperatures are pretty low with a 120mm fan in the back. I also had him move the 80mm fan that came with the case to the side panel for some extra air flow. He got the green/blue led one, but I think that the black/blue led one would look much better.
    It looks like I'm a little late to give my opinion since there are so many other recommendations, but I just had to share :wave:
  • vaiovaio England
    edited September 2006
    I recently bought an Enermax Chakra (U.K one sans 250mm side fan).
    For circa £40 I recommend it.......has 120mm intake and exhaust and an 80mm side fan mounting, plus an air vent for PCI area.

The top two drive bays have spring loaded stealth covers.
    Comes with blue led 120mm intake.

Good lil case for the money.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2006
    I absolutely can not recommend lian-li cases strongly enough, Prof. Check out the mid-tower models. There are some priced in the $100ish range. A little more expensive, but once you have owned one, you'll never want to buy anything else again. Models like the PC65 and the PC60PB (120mm fans) are priced quite reasonably. Definitely check them out.

Also, If you want something a little more bang for the buck, check out the Antec P180--great case for the price. Looks classy too (no window though).
    edited September 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    I absolutely can not recommend lian-li cases strongly enough...once you have owned one, you'll never want to buy anything else again...
    As you see it, what sets them apart from the rest? :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    I absolutely can not recommend lian-li cases strongly enough, Prof.

I must agree from experience.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I like the folded edges of the metal, and the thicker Aluminum in the lian-li cases. (For me,) It's questionable as to whether or not it's actually worth it to pay for the lian-li name, though.
  • edited September 2006
    And I'm another advocate of Coolermaster's cases, prof. They are also a very high quality product from my (rather limited) experience with them. Personally, I would go with the Centurion before the case you linked to. And if you want a window, This Centurion 5 case has a window too, for $20 cheaper than the Apevia.

And right now I'm in the process of adding a window on my Coolermaster Praetorian case out of necessity; The monster hsf I have on my Opty dually is too large to fit with the case side on right now. So I just cut the window area out yesterday on the side panel and went to a glass shop and got a piece of 1/8" plexi cut today. I also went to Lowes and bought a small piece of red oak to make a spacer with to extend the window outward on the side panel for clearance.

I also did the dremel route myself and used around 6-7 cutoff wheels (the cheap ones, which work well if you don't crowd them) for the rough cut, then used sanding drums to get to my final measurements. Finally, I used a soft Arkansas sharpening stone to smooth the edges of the cut window out.
  • edited September 2006
    I was in the market for a new case about a year ago and picked up a lian li pc-61. It was a bit expensive at like $110 but, it's worth every penny. I think they're going on newegg for $99.00 now.

I probably have about 15 pc cases layin around here and it's got to be the easiest to work with. If you swap components out like hard drives, pci cards, etc, you'll love the toolless design - everything comes off with thumb screws.

Here are a couple pics of it when I was putting it together.

Replaced the stock 80mm fans with these purple LEDs in the front :)

I've got a ton more high-res pics if anyone's interested in a seein a review of this case.

-Greg
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    Windows are easy, with time and patience.

Datsun 1600

Edit. A black Texta pen works well on biege drives.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    As you see it, what sets them apart from the rest? :)

Top notch quality is what really sets it apart, IMO. The build quality is amazing--thick, polished aluminum throughout (everything from the PCI brackets to the thumbscrews are polished), removable mobo trays, tooless design. All fans are included (with good quality ADDA fans). In the case of the PC60/65, there is even an integrated 3-position fan controller in the front. Dust guards, and a really timeless design that never seems to go stale. They even include a poster-size schematic/blueprint of the entire case design for you. No bling, just function and a classy design.

I was skeptical when I first bought the PC65, but I don't think I'd ever buy another type of case again :)
  • edited September 2006
    I have no doubts about the quality of the Lian-Li cases; I've seen that beautiful V-2000 of csimon's. But, we are talking about a case in the $50-70 range for prof, not $90-100 (at least I am, because his first post was about a $70 case). If he can afford the extra moola for the Lian-Li that's fine, but if not there are other quality choices too.
  • vaiovaio England
    edited September 2006
    Cheaper Coolermasters should do the job.
    Plenty of budget cases with 120mm intake/exhaust.
    edited September 2006
    I'm considering all of your suggestions, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. :)

While browsing around, I came across this one. Any thoughts on it?

I really want the side panel window and would dearly love to do extensive case mods of my own, but 90% of my tools disappeared in an unfortunate "accident", and half of the rest are 180 miles away at the moment. Other than cutting out the built-in fan grilles and filing down the jagged edges I am not able to do a whole lot more right now.

Including shipping, I am able to go as high as $100. If it comes tricked out with all the fans, so much the better. If the case fans are not included, it would be nice if the price was under $100 by enough to at least buy a few cheapo fans for temporary use until I can get something better. ("Better" as in quieter, though at 120mm I think they're all likely to be quieter than most smaller "whiny" fans.)

Gee, I should have mentioned all this right from the start. ;D
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I'm considering all of your suggestions, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. :)

While browsing around, I came across this one. Any thoughts on it?

I really want the side panel window and would dearly love to do extensive case mods of my own, but 90% of my tools disappeared in an unfortunate "accident", and half of the rest are 180 miles away at the moment. Other than cutting out the built-in fan grilles and filing down the jagged edges I am not able to do a whole lot more right now.

Including shipping, I am able to go as high as $100. If it comes tricked out with all the fans, so much the better. If the case fans are not included, it would be nice if the price was under $100 by enough to at least buy a few cheapo fans for temporary use until I can get something better. ("Better" as in quieter, though at 120mm I think they're all likely to be quieter than most smaller "whiny" fans.)

Gee, I should have mentioned all this right from the start. ;D

Prof, I usually prefer Scandinavian style and design, simple and functional. Considering quality, price, and your given requirements, I would choose either of the two below. The Thermaltake case is more expensive but a little more shiny. Both of them come with a 120mm fan. But my favorite would be Coolermaster.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133172
  • edited September 2006
    The case you linked to is a little gaudy for my tastes, but looks to have decent cooling, prof. Just assume that the included psu is a placeholder only and don't depend on that POS for actually powering anything more powerful than a K6-2 system. Mirage has also linked you to 2 nice case choices also, and both have space for 120mm fans front and rear, for less noise and better cooling.
  • vaiovaio England
    edited September 2006
    Gigabyte Aurora is a decent case too, though may be a tad expensive.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    www.addtronics.com

awesome cases..and they are really nice to mod as well...but they can run a bit pricey...good luck with this prof.

but to be honest, a case is a case in all honestly, as long as it has a 120mm intake and 120mm outake and a side fan u cant go wrong
    edited September 2006
    mirage wrote:
    The first one you linked is a strong contender. Does it have the same glossy black finish as the second one?

Because...

I have seen the second in stores and love everything about it except the glossy black finish. I am kind of a nut about seeing smudges and fingerprints on things and that looks like an FBI special; I'd probably spend all my time polishing it. :vimp: I also wonder what it would look like after a year or two of banging it around.
    muddocktor wrote:
    The case you linked to is a little gaudy for my tastes...
    Yeah, the more I look at it the more it has that B.E.M appearance. :p
    Just assume that the included psu is a placeholder only and don't depend on that POS for actually powering anything more powerful than a K6-2 system...
    Definitely. I'd rather get the case alone and not spend the extra $20 or so they're tacking on to the price for the chintzy PSU.

vaio wrote:
    Gigabyte Aurora is a decent case too, though may be a tad expensive.
    That name keeps popping up, and I will say that it looks tempting. The big hitch is that I'd have to wait a while before I could justify the extra money.

Whichever way I go, I plan to decide in the next day or two. :)
    edited September 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    I really like the 6901B ATX FILE SERVER CASE (with the optional side window). I'm not sure about the dual 80mm fans in the back as opposed to one 120mm fan. :)
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    The first one you linked is a strong contender. Does it have the same glossy black finish as the second one?

Because...

I think it is matte finish on Coolermaster, and I agree finger prints can be a real trouble on the glossy finish of Thermaltake case.