"bargain" folding boxes?

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Folding@Home
I've been goofing around on newegg for a while. What's the general thought here, to try and get a few dual-core machines, or a single dual-core, dual-processor machine?

I'm seeing about $1400 for 4 cores in a 550-watt box...? Seems pretty good to me...? This includes RAID0+1, which I'm not sure would benefit a folding rig... With just a single drive, this drops the price to about $1200 for 2 x Xeon 5030, 4 x 1GB DDR2 and a 160GB HD w/ 16MB cache. I usually aim for a well-rounded machine when I build 'em, but if nyone knows what you can slack on for a dedicated folding box, I'd be interested.

Any other ideas? Just trying to see what kind of processing could be done for a given amount of energy usage.

Comments

• FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2006
    Fast processor...everything else can be marginal. There have been a few WUs that ran faster on a machine with faster RAM, but generally you can get away with 256MB of cheapesh RAM. A folding rig based on C2D should be less than $450 I would guess.

~FA
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I would recommend a minimum of 512mb for a dedicated folding box nowadays. You can use linux in a barebones install, and leave the rest of the ram for large WUs. Other than that, it's ALL CPU - forget the rest of the stuff. Crappy old HDs, PSU just enough to run the CPU, video card, network card, etc, can all be crap.
    edited October 2006
    Yeah that's true...after thinking about it, 2 instances of folding set to download large units can easily use 300MB of RAM.

~FA
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited October 2006
    Yeah that's true...after thinking about it, 2 instances of folding set to download large units can easily use 300MB of RAM.

~FA
    If, and that is a big if, the QMD Proteins return a Gb of RAM will be needed, as 1 instance consumed ~320Mb. Most of my Boxen run 2Gb, overkill really, but I like to have heaps of RAM.

ATM, I reckon a Conroe is the best overall, with regards to heat output and power consumption.

Datsun 1600
    edited October 2006
    Exactly..it's not likely, so dropping the extra cash on a GB of RAM isn't necessary. The QMD is the unit I was referring to as well, when I said only a few units ran faster with more/faster RAM.

~FA
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    OK, well a while ago I got puppy linux running on a small USB thumbdrive. Since hard drive speed/capacity isn't up there on the list of must-haves, maybe a barebones folding box might be:

As many cores as possible, lowest wattage for the Ghz (Core 2 Duo)
    2x512GB RAM dual channel kit, same mhz as the processor's FSB
    USB thumbdrive running a small linux distro in console mode w/ FAH
    power supply, small as possible (overkill at 250W?), but efficient as possible (80%+ ?)
    (personal preference - add a 120mm fan or 2...nice and quiet)

I'm thinking dual-core, because it seems more efficient to have multiple instances of FAH on a single box.
    I'm also not sure what linux distro's fit on a thumbdrive AND support dual-core...might take some research on that one...

any ideas?
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited October 2006
    I'm also not sure what linux distro's fit on a thumbdrive AND support dual-core...might take some research on that one...

any ideas?
    There is one here that is pretty old, and another one here.

Datsun 1600
    edited October 2006
    There is one here that is pretty old, and another one here.

Datsun 1600

Overfoldix looks good, wouldn't even need a USB thumbdrive, since it runs off of the CD. So basically any old optical drive would work. :-)

going over to newegg again, attempt #2... :bigggrin:
    edited October 2006
    I wonder if we have any linux gurus that might be able to update the Overfoldix LiveCD with the latest version of FAH...?
  • vaiovaio England
    edited October 2006
    Biggest hitch to getting a good folding box on a budget is the cost of a quality psu.

Just ordered a 600w supply to cater for a gpu upgrade :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    To Be honest for 1400.00 you can build 3 Dual core rigs with bare bone setups... If you have XP or Linux OS's already.

A few Core 2 Duo 6300's = $180.00 each - $540
    Genric Mobo with onboard Video = $100.00 each - $300
    HD 80GB or smaller = $40.00 - $120
    Cases with PSU's and Fans = $45.00 - $135
    Low end Ram DDR2 512MB = $60.00 - $180
    CD Drive = $10.00 - $30.00

Total: $1,305 + shiiping is about $1,400
    edited October 2006
    For folding boxes you do not need a GPU... Onboard will run just fine. So a generic PSU will work fine and Intel’s new C2D don't require a huge power requirement and having an onboard GPU would eliminate a higher end PSU.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Of course with the recent announcement about folding on ATI video cards would be all be better off sinking the money into X1900s? It will be interesting to see what the folding power really is.
    I like your thinking Sledge, those boxes would fold fine.
    edited October 2006
    For folding boxes you do not need a GPU... Onboard will run just fine. So a generic PSU will work fine and Intel’s new C2D don't require a huge power requirement and having an onboard GPU would eliminate a higher end PSU.

Now all we need is a dual-Socket M board, and we'd be in business... :-)
    edited October 2006
    ..or a dual 775, I suppose... but the 15W mobile processors look pretty efficient.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Dual 775 sounds fine, then in the spring you could go 8way (2x4)
    edited October 2006
    ok, so continuing with my newegg wishlist for the "ultimate" folding machine (WU potential vs. cost/operating costs), how's this look?

Highlights:

$709
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe - 2.4GHz @ 1066mhz
    Memory - CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 - 2x512MB @ 1066mhz
    Board - ASUS P5VDC-X - LGA775, 2xDDR2 @ 1066mhz
    Power - COOLMAX CP-500T - 120mm fan and 95% efficiency! (at full load of 500W...:scratch:)
    Case - Sunbeam IC-ZORRO-SVBK (cheapest ATX case that comes with 3 120mm fans and no PS) "It's sharp-a-rific!"

The idea would be to run from a LiveCD...
    edited October 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    Dual 775 sounds fine, then in the spring you could go 8way (2x4)

I can't find a dual 775 board though...

I did build an 8way machine on newegg just now...when the total got up over $2K I stopped teasing myself...
    edited October 2006
    I'm not sure...but I don't think folding sees much of a speed increase between the 2MB cache C2D and the 4MB. I'll be able to say for sure once I get my 6600 from Newegg.

It'd probably be better to just get an E6300 and overclock it to 2.4 than spend $100+ more on the 6600.

~FA
    edited October 2006
    I'm not sure...but I don't think folding sees much of a speed increase between the 2MB cache C2D and the 4MB. I'll be able to say for sure once I get my 6600 from Newegg.

It'd probably be better to just get an E6600 and overclock it to 2.4 than spend $100+ more on the 6600.

~FA

has anyone here taken an e6600 OC'ed and 100% load for a few days on a stock cooler?
    edited October 2006
    my e6400 has been oC'ed with stock cooling and screams on WU's
    edited October 2006
    has anyone here taken an e6600 OC'ed and 100% load for a few days on a stock cooler?

Not an E6600...but I have an E6300 OCed to 2.52GHz folding with the stock cooler. Not so much as a hiccup so far, running 24/7 and CPU temps in the mid to high 40s depending on ambient temp. That's with the stock cooler and stock thermal crap that comes on it.

::EDIT:: Just re-read...I meant it'd be better to get an E6300...not an E6600. My bad.

~FA
    edited October 2006
    Not an E6600...but I have an E6300 OCed to 2.52GHz folding with the stock cooler. Not so much as a hiccup so far, running 24/7 and CPU temps in the mid to high 40s depending on ambient temp. That's with the stock cooler and stock thermal crap that comes on it.

~FA

ugh.... the stock thermal duct-tape-residue...:thumbsdown:

hmm, sounds pretty good. I'll adjust the wishlist design. Of course, OCing negates newegg's great return policy on non-working processors...:p

Whatcha think about the power supply? I like the 95% efficiency, but I'm not sure it's ever going to see 95%, since it'll be consuming much less than 500W. Better to go with an 80% efficient 300W unit?
    edited October 2006

::EDIT:: Just re-read...I meant it'd be better to get an E6300...not an E6600. My bad.

~FA

cool. The 'ideal folding box' is only about $615. Do-able.

With 'ideal' being a compromise between purchase/running costs and WU production...
    edited October 2006
    There is a $40 Thermaltake 430 watt PSU on Newegg...that's the one I have in my E6300 folder. No trouble so far. You could probably go with something even more crappy than that though.

~FA
    edited October 2006
    cool. The 'ideal folding box' is only about $615. Do-able.

With 'ideal' being a compromise between purchase/running costs and WU production...

That wish-list isn't public. :p

~FA
    edited October 2006
    There is a $40 Thermaltake 430 watt PSU on Newegg...that's the one I have in my E6300 folder. No trouble so far. You could probably go with something even more crappy than that though.

~FA

Oh, I'm sure there's a lot of PSU's out there that are good. I was trying to find the ones with the most efficiency, so the electricity usage goes into the folding, not into heating the room up...well...heating it up as little as possible...
    edited October 2006
    That wish-list isn't public. :p

~FA

oops!

try again
    edited October 2006
    Heh....still no worky.

~FA
    edited October 2006