"bargain" folding boxes?

2»

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    TBH if your just using them to fold without a GPU, your PSU won't be much of a concern, I have a few Aspire $40.00 PSU's here that can OC and prove a stable system... not if you were building a high-end gaming rig with dual HD's Dual GPU's and a high end CPU I would say go with t a better PSU... but that isn't the case.
    edited October 2006
    Also for folding I think these are a bit overkill...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145030

DDR800 will work just fine and the XMX2 ram I have already shown will OC to 1200Mhz :) and you can get a 1GB stick for $150.00 which is 79.00 cheaper than your current choice.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    TBH if your just using them to fold without a GPU, your PSU won't be much of a concern, I have a few Aspire $40.00 PSU's here that can OC and prove a stable system... not if you were building a high-end gaming rig with dual HD's Dual GPU's and a high end CPU I would say go with t a better PSU... but that isn't the case.

some PSU's are of good quality and some aren't...but that wasn't what I was concerned with.

I was looking for a PSU with a high efficiency so the machine would be cheap to operate...since most of the electric would go into operating the machine, and not wasted as PSU heat. You'd be surprised how much energy is wasted as heat in a PSU with poor efficiency.

The idea would be that if you can lower the electrical usage of the machine, you can support more of them while wasting as little electric as possible.
    edited October 2006
    Also for folding I think these are a bit overkill...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145030

DDR800 will work just fine and the XMX2 ram I have already shown will OC to 1200Mhz :) and you can get a 1GB stick for $150.00 which is 79.00 cheaper than your current choice.

I'm a huge fan of having a balanced system. Those memory modules reflect my personal taste in box setup, but you're right, 800mhz memory will do just fine.

In every gaming box I've built, I've tried to get all of the components operating at the same mhz, so I would utilize everything the component had to offer. It's just personal preference, but I feel like I'm wasting money if either the processor, board or memory can't communicate on par with the others.

It's very, very nit-picky, I know, but like I said, just personal preference, ymmv.
    edited October 2006
    Just was throwing my 2 cents :) got mine running at 1100Mhz stable right now :)
    edited October 2006
    Just was throwing my 2 cents :) got mine running at 1100Mhz stable right now :)

It's cool :)
  • edited October 2006
    If you are looking for something really cheap and simple I have a computer for sale. It folds very nicely and kept up with my 3200+. just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

bikerboy
    edited October 2006
    linky

I've shaved $55 off. Tell me what you guys think of this $560 rig...
    edited October 2006
    I suppose I could take the CD/DVD drive off of there since it would be running off of a USB drive...

hmm, but wait a minute... not sure if DSL supports 2 processors?

Might need to add a hard drive and do a Windows install...
  • edited October 2006
    Since Stanford has readjusted the points for gpu folding upwards, let's look at this another way, focusing on a gpu client rig:

ASUS A8V-VM Socket 939 mobo - $52.99
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice - $55.00
    pqi POWER Series 512MB (2 x 256MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 - $54.99
    SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT 256MB - $195.99
    COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W Power Supply - $49.99
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $49.99

Total for gpu folder - $458.95

This is something to think about also. While the X1900GT isn't as good as the X1900XT for folding (fewer pipes), it should still do decently IMO. And for roughly $60 more, you can buy a Sapphire X1900XT-256 which should be equal to their benchmark machine. And they gave a healthy points boost to gpu folding in the last day or so, so this is also a viable way to go. A cheap single core proc should do just fine, since the gpu client isn't very dependant on the cpu to do any serious number crunching, from what I understand.
    edited October 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Since Stanford has readjusted the points for gpu folding upwards, let's look at this another way, focusing on a gpu client rig:

ASUS A8V-VM Socket 939 mobo - $52.99
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice - $55.00
    pqi POWER Series 512MB (2 x 256MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 - $54.99
    SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT 256MB - $195.99
    COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W Power Supply - $49.99
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $49.99

Total for gpu folder - $458.95

This is something to think about also. While the X1900GT isn't as good as the X1900XT for folding (fewer pipes), it should still do decently IMO. And for roughly $60 more, you can buy a Sapphire X1900XT-256 which should be equal to their benchmark machine. And they gave a healthy points boost to gpu folding in the last day or so, so this is also a viable way to go. A cheap single core proc should do just fine, since the gpu client isn't very dependant on the cpu to do any serious number crunching, from what I understand.

Ooh,nice one!

I'll modify it later and see if we can get a slightly OC's P4D 805 in there - about 3-3.2Ghz dual cores for under $100!

nice job!