Which speakers?

BDRBDR
edited October 2003 in Hardware
I'm thinking about getting better speakers. I'll be using them for stereo/music listening, and I like a lot of bass, so which should I consider, Klipsch or Logitech? I'm looking at something not over $300 US.

I have a Philips Acoustic Edge 5.1 audio card.

Comments

• TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    I heard a ProMedia 5.1 setup and if they still sold them, I really wouldn't use anything else. I've been in a cave financially so I haven't been able to buy any, but I use a pair of Altecs which produce decent sound. They're starting to die, too.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Another question...

I also have this Asus A7N8X dlx v2 mobo with 6 channel/ soundstorm audio built in, and I haven't really messed with it much. Is it worth putting the new speakers on the Asus instead of using it on the tower that has the Philips sound card.

I also have an Audigy 1.
    Maybe I should think about modding it to a 2? ( I think I read that that's possible now?)
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Templar, I always thought I'd get the Promedia 5.1's, but money-wise it has to wait.
    I also heard that surround sound isn't necessarily best for listening to music. More for video game playing.

I have a 5pc set of Altec's now, that are surround sound, but I have them set to "stereo" mode. They aren't bad at all, but I'm looking to upgrade.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    The A7N8X's onboard audio is far superior to the Phillips card. In fact, it's on par with the Audigy 2 Platinum, if it's tweaked properly. The Audigy 2 sounds sligntly better if both cards have the default settings, but the A7N8X's drivers allow far more extensive tweaking, and if you tweak the graphics EQ (which is something the Audigy 2 lacks), the sound quality is identical. And it's certainly not my speakers that are the limiting factor, as they're Altec Lansing ADA-890Rs, which are THX certified.

Anyhow, as for speakers, Logitech's THX units are supposed to be better than Klipsch's, and the Klipsch speakers won't work properly on the Audigy 2 (not sure about the Audigy) anyhow, so...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Logitech Z-680s. I love mine, and they are under $300. They are actually a little tooo bassy at times :) THX cert, digital and analog out, and they work great on my XBox, Computer, and DVD player, whenever I get around to moving them.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Geeky1 had this to say
    Anyhow, as for speakers, Logitech's THX units are supposed to be better than Klipsch's, and the Klipsch speakers won't work properly on the Audigy 2 (not sure about the Audigy) anyhow, so...

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, V2-400, 4.1, 5.1 & Ultra 5.1 are 100% compatible with all of Creative's 5.1, 6.1 & 7.1 channel sound products (SB Live 5.1 to SB Audigy 2 Platinum DZ) and work flawlessly with them.

Where did you hear that they won't work correctly with an SB Audigy 2?

As for sound quality, I'll take a pair of Klipsch's over Logitech anyday.

Price is another concern.
  • edited October 2003
    I agree with Psudo. The Logitech z680s are the best bang-for-buck.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    First recommendation is the 680 from Logitech. I have their 560s and I love em. They are quite a bit cheaper if you dont want to spend that much.
    edited October 2003
    Maximum PC... something about the Klipschs only working as 2.1 speakers with the Audigy 2...
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited October 2003
    Geeky1 had this to say
    Maximum PC... something about the Klipschs only working as 2.1 speakers with the Audigy 2...

Definetly not the truth. I had an audigy 2 and klipsch 4.1's. Worked flawlessly and had amazing sound output.

BDR if you are interested in buying a set of promedia 4.1s please drop me a pm. The 4.1's have a good amount of bass (makes your ribcage shake when you play any rap), but the 5.1's truly have the most bass, I believe my friend told me they had about 2 promedia 2.1 subs combined into one.

I recommend you go to Circuit city or Best buy and listen to them. If the 4.1's are suitable for you i'll be willing to sell you mine. If not i'll do my best to find you a deal on 5.1s.

Also my friend's dad is the ceo of klipsch and if I asked her i could probably buy a set of 5.1's for a verrrry discounted price.

:thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    BDR had this to say
    ...I also heard that surround sound isn't necessarily best for listening to music. More for video game playing.

I have a 5pc set of Altec's now, that are surround sound, but I have them set to "stereo" mode. They aren't bad at all, but I'm looking to upgrade.
    I don't have much to add to the speaker recommendation, but my experience with Surround Sound and music is that it depends largely on the Environmental Audio (or whatever the sound card manufacturer chooses to call it) settings.

I love having the surround sound with EAX (that's Creative's version of EA) off - most of the effects make it sound like the band is playing at the bottom of Luray Caverns, or in an empty steel warehouse. But having sound from all four speakers, even though the front & rear channels are duplicating each other, adds a lot.

One other thing I have found (OK, I lied about speaker recommendation :p ) is that buying two sets of less expensive two-channel systems (left, right, and a subwoofer) can give you really great sound. You still end up with four satellites, but having two subwoofers often more than makes up for the reduced cost. My feeling is that most of the money for the high-end systems goes into making a more robust (and higher powered) subwoofer. If I could get two decent 2.1 systems for less than a killer-diller 4.1 system I would do so, though I doubt everyone would agree with me... ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I have Klipsch 5.1 and Logitech Z-680s in my house. The Logitechs are better, high end reproduction is better, the sound is slightly less muddy, and the bass is better.

However, for the Logitechs, I seriously suggest getting some of this for wiring. The sound quality is immeasurably greater with this than the ****ty tin-tipped ~18 gauge crap the Logitechs come with.
    edited October 2003
    Agree with Thrax, get some different speaker wire. The stuff that comes with Logitechs does suck, and they only give you 2 long lengths and then some short lengths. Makes setting the damn things up a biatch. If you don't want to spend the money on the Monster stuff, just go to radioshack, at least you can have some length then.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Logitechs are the best bang for the buck, I have the 560's and they have thunderous bass which I love, and my downstairs neightbour may not, but he hasn't complained, so I won't worry about it. At the time I got mine, I was looking at the klipsch 4.1's and all the stats were the same, with the exception of the THD on the sub, the logitech was something like 10%, while the klipsch promedias were <.1%.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    DO NOT get klipsche....i got 2 of their systems...and they both dies ut on me on the fourth month...(3 month warrenty)...i got logitechs...and their still running teh hardcore
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    If you do end up grabing a set of Klipsch's, you'll also want to either pickup the Monster cabling set or use the Mr. Pro PC guide to making your own cabling.

The cheap-ass tinned-lead speaker cabling that comes with the Klipsch speakers really doesn't do the speakers justice. In order to get any decent sound out of my set of Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's, I had to make my own cable set (only because at the time, you couldn't pucrhase Monster cable products in Canada).

//Edit: If you purchase from Klipsch or a Klipsch reseller, make sure to get the extra warranty. Klipsch speakers like to die occasionally and with the full warranty, you can exchange for a new pair if anything goes wrong.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    I pretty much decided on the Logitechs for the money.
    Talk about mixed reviews on both brands... both here and at Newegg.

I can see there may be a lot of things that will factor in, including just plain personal peference.

I won't be getting them for awhile anyway. Maybe for Christmas.

Thanks all.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2003
    well depending on what you plan on using them for... klipsch sound better musically, logitech's are geared towards the gamer. i chose the klipsch, and absolutely love them. I have 2.1's, and Drasnor can vouch for the quality of the GMX setup... but neither beats a nice home audio system. i'm gonna dish out $700 next year :)
    edited October 2003
    I have had experience with Logitech tech support and they are great. My sub went out cause I prolly pushed it to hard on a crappy sound card. They sent me a Brand New COMPLETE system and all I had to send back was the center control piece which cost like $3. So I still have 4 working satalietes. In fact I am using the old set so the new ones are still unused. They might get set up in the living room someday.;)
  • edited October 2003
    Right now I'm using Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 Digitals (the "digital in" only works on Creative soundcards :-/).

One of these days I'm gona spend the money on the z680s... nearly every time I go to Best Buy I remind myself why they kick so much ass.

I wonder if their price will go down this holiday season?
    edited October 2003
    Also, Logitech has THE best customer service bar none for their speakers. Just ask McBain. His went bad and pooof, new speakers show up, AND they let him keep the old ones!!
    edited October 2003
    Basically what I just said. Excellent customer service.
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited October 2003
    Another vote for the logitech 680's. At 450 watts rms, and 1000 watts peak(I think thats right) these speakers are truely kick ass :D Have had mine for a few months and lovin'em!
  • edited October 2003
    Anyone know what the cheapest price is for the z680's?

I think I just talked myself into getting them.
    edited October 2003
    Looks like $295 from Newegg is the cheapest you'll find, unless you're willing to risk getting screwed...
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    $261.54 at Multiwave
    I've bought from them before and they are ok to buy from. I had no problems.

You might want to compare shipping costs for each though. It might even out the overall cost.
  • m-goslingm-gosling UK, near to Brighton
    edited October 2003
    I just recieved my Logitech Z-680's today, they are truely awesome speakers, well worth the money. The centre channel does hiss very slightly, but its rather faint and is something of a non issue unless you have really sensitive hearing, and isnt noticable at all when you have sounds playing.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited October 2003
    If you want bass ... Altec Lansing 641, but they are only 4.1, sound quality is GREAT though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005UK8G/ref=ase_biz-comp-20/104-8632287-7079935

cheap too.

The unit holding the dual subs is about as large as a mid tower though. I had one for a long time, loved it, had to sell it for 100$. Now I am a headphone freak.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Logitech z-640, 5.1 surround, 140 total watts, sounds great at a super nice price around 55-60 bucks. Idont think sound is worth anything more than 100 bucks but some people do its all good, if you got the coin go for it.
    edited October 2003
    Thats a weak system. My roommate has the 540s I think it is (the smaller of the 4.1 systems) and I have the 560s and I can kick his ass. You can compare that system to my roommates and the 680s to mine. They 600s have the 5.1 setup while the 500s have the 4.1 setup.