Sempron 2600+ ?s

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Currently i have outdated socket A mother board with a 1.6 ghz duron processor. I want to use what i have and upgrade the processor. In my msi user guide it says that it supports athlon/XP up to 2600+. Would a sempron be too much or is it equal to an athlon. It says nothing about sempron in the user guide but i figured maybe the semprons werent even out yet. Would i be able to use a sempron?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    And your motherboard is...?
  • edited October 2006
    msi micro km2m km266 chipset
  • edited October 2006
    Anyone?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    According to this, it won't work. :(
  • edited October 2006
    which one of those processors in that link should i try and get my hands on?

I am guessing that my best bet would be the Thoroughbred (0.13u) 133/266MHz FSB 2600+
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    hatty wrote:
    which one of those processors in that link should i try and get my hands on?

I am guessing that my best bet would be the Thoroughbred (0.13u) 133/266MHz FSB 2600+
    That would be my guess, too, unless someone else has another opinion to offer.

Unless you're buying it new from a reputable dealer, be sure and ask about the details regarding the CPU's specs. Lot's of people selling them have no real clue whether they have a Barton, Thoroughbred, etc, and in order to make a sale will tell you whatever they think you want to hear. ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Hatty, you could also advertise in our Deal Depot & Trading Post for what you want. Most of our traders here know exactly what they are selling and what they have for sale. I would also suggest advertising at Hardforums and PCPerspective. Most traders at these three forums are technically proficient. I've traded at all three of these sites and have had almost exclusively good experiences. If someone were to offer a CPU that seemed right for you, you could always pop in here and get our advice.

I would NOT recommend shopping at eBay for computer tech unless you know EXACTLY what you are looking for. Half the numbnuts at eBay have no clue what they are selling when it comes to computer components.
  • edited October 2006
    yes I am aware of mentally challenged ebay sellers. thanks for the advice leo