The SM Linux Drive Image project

2»

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    I want this for SM4. It's hard to run Win2K on a 1.6GB drive. Enverex, amazing work, chap!
    Yep... Great work Enverex!!!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Who handles the SM hard-drives? Does that person have a distrobution of Linux installed anywhere? I know imaging and unimaging can be done easily with 'dd' but that requires Linux. I'm still trying to get around to a method Thrax has suggested but I need to arse about with Windows first to try that out.

Oh, I didn't mention it before but in addition to all the drive controllers that the kernel supports, I've also put in support for every 10/100/1000/10000 Ethernet controller the kernel supports. Does anyone think it's worth it putting Token Link controler drivers in too?

They could always use a live distro (dsl, for example) to dd the image.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Who handles the SM hard-drives? Does that person have a distrobution of Linux installed anywhere?...
    That would be me, and the answer is "no", I do not have Linux installed at the moment.

That situation can easily be rectified, though. :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    This sounds really cool, good work Enverex! Could we maybe use this to set up SMx rigs without people whipping out their Windows "Corporate" CDs?

That was the idea. ;)
    profdlp wrote:
    That would be me, and the answer is "no", I do not have Linux installed at the moment.

That situation can easily be rectified, though. :)

I'll dd it then (putting it back onto a drive is just a few words and that's it) and compress it, see how it comes out.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Badass project man! Big ups!

SM_24 runs Gentoo and has been pumping out WUs without any real issue for months now 24/7. Linux + SMx rigs is the way to go.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Enverex dropped the project due to too many people being happy and having fun. We can't have that. Happiness is for spoiled people and egotists.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It's like my brother says, he's not happy unless he's miserable.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If anyone wants to run FAH from a LiveCD instead of a USB drive (as in my other thread) it's not difficult. Just have someone boot up a USB drive using the zip I made, and use Damn Small Linux's utility to re-package it into a LiveCD.

Can't guarantee that DSL supports all hardware, but it works for me.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Enverex dropped the project due to too many people being happy and having fun. We can't have that. Happiness is for spoiled people and egotists.
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    It's like my brother says, he's not happy unless he's miserable.
    <s>What?!!! :scratch:

Enverex, I hope you'll reconsider. This was a huge positive step forward for you - don't start going backwards now. :(</s>

Sorry, all. I was out this afternoon and missed his latest hysterics. It's ironic, but if Folding can find a cure for the sort of mental illness that makes a person lash out at those doing something to better the world, then he will benefit a great deal. :shakehead
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If anyone wants to run FAH from a LiveCD instead of a USB drive (as in my other thread) it's not difficult. Just have someone boot up a USB drive using the zip I made, and use Damn Small Linux's utility to re-package it into a LiveCD.

Can't guarantee that DSL supports all hardware, but it works for me.

Yeah, sure, I'll give it a shot.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    Yeah, sure, I'll give it a shot.

I'm sure it'll work. Feel free to use an app like UltraISO to throw a .iso file up to the SM forums for all to use. I'd do it myself, but my FAH-USB key is at work...