Computer = Non-bootable after adding second HDD

edited October 2006 in Hardware
I just installed another IDE hard disk, they are both connected to the same port on the motherboard through a 3 connector cable. In this situation, it will POST 1 short beep and then freeze at the "Infinity" splash screen (I have an Infinity Motherboard). However, if I unplug my secondary hard drive I can boot. Any ideas on getting both HDDs to work? Thanks in advance,

-sheep

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Did you make sure you have your main boot drive (the one with windows on it) on the last plug on the IDE belt. Also it has to have the jumper pin on the back of it set to Master.
    The new drive should be in the middle of the IDE belt with the jumper pin set to Slave.
    Make sure the power plug is in all the way.
    Also make sure you put the IDE belt on the drives correctly.
    It's easy to get them turned upside down.
    Usually they will have a notch that fits the drive pins and on the motherboard.
  • edited October 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    Did you make sure you have your main boot drive (the one with windows on it) on the last plug on the IDE belt. Also it has to have the jumper pin on the back of it set to Master.
    The new drive should be in the middle of the IDE belt with the jumper pin set to Slave.
    Make sure the power plug is in all the way.
    Also make sure you put the IDE belt on the drives correctly.
    It's easy to get them turned upside down.
    Usually they will have a notch that fits the drive pins and on the motherboard.

Ok I'm going to try switching the hard drive's around then. How would I tell if my jumper pins are set to master or slave?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Look at the back of the drive and you'll see the jumper is set on the pins.
    It will show it right on the back where the jumper is. Little diagrams that show you where to set the jumper. Sometimes it's on the top, depending on the manufaturer.
    It will have master, slave, cable select, and sometimes forcing dev 1 present.
    You just want to use master and slave.
  • edited October 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    Look at the back of the drive and you'll see the jumper is set on the pins.
    It will show it right on the back where the jumper is. Little diagrams that show you where to set the jumper. Sometimes it's on the top, depending on the manufaturer.
    It will have master, slave, cable select, and sometimes forcing dev 1 present.
    You just want to use master and slave.

Alright thanks I've got it working. :thumbup
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Nice job, Hawk. :)

Glad you got it going, fatsheep. :cheers:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Glad to be of help and happy you got it FS.
    Thnx prof. I've been through a bunch of drive setups.
    2 on every pc I have and many for others I have built for family & friends.
    So I figured it had to be one of those things I mentioned.
    When first trying to do these things it's the little things that sometimes get overlooked.