Mackanz: P5B-D + BIOS 0711

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hey Mack,

Have a couple things to discuss with you about the newest BIOS (v0711). I know you work with the P5B-Ds regularly, so I was wondering if you've seen/heard/can test these things.

1. 1.65v NB VCore on a 7950GX2 causes intense video lag/artifacting in games. 1.55v is unstable. Is this an overvolt issue? Wasn't apparent in 0614.

2. Can no longer achieve a stable 6x500 overclock. Were the FSB strapping parameters adjusted? Max stable is 400x7. Significant reduction in OC from 0614.

3. CPU and MEM now require a higher voltage setting in the bios. Got by on 2.15v for the memory and 1.125v for the CPU.. Both now require 2.25v and 1.25v for stable operation. Any ideas? Again, different from v0614.

//EDIT:

4. Actual VDIMM/VCORE are significantly (As far as voltage is concerned), below the BIOS-configured.

5. Fuzzy math! BIOS seems to round FSBs up, giving (Up to) 100MHz higher CPU clocks than what's configured.

//EDIT 2:

Clearly, I'm going back to 0614.. Just checking in with another user.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    BIOS seems to round FSBs up, giving (Up to) 100MHz higher CPU clocks than what's configured.
    That's....I've never seen that before.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Old bios is stable for me so i'm not touching that crap with a Thrax-long pole it seems. But i will look it up.

Edit, did you flash the new bios with all the parameters? How did you flash it?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    bios updates :) what are those :) My saying with Bios releases, if your getting good clocks and no issues don't update :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    bios updates :) what are those :) My saying with Bios releases, if your getting good clocks and no issues don't update :)

Sometimes, however, new BIOS issue really pleasant fixes. Especially in a board this new.
    Old bios is stable for me so i'm not touching that crap with a Thrax-long pole it seems. But i will look it up.

Edit, did you flash the new bios with all the parameters? How did you flash it?

Via the flash utility in the BIOS. I reset my BIOS via jumper, loaded the BIOS, flashed, powered down, reset via jumper and reconfigured.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Yeah I understand that, But I usually wait for the multiple praise reports from others :) obviously this isn't a praise report :)

The question is did the bios make anything better?
    edited October 2006
    Yes, it did. It completely eliminated the weird double-reboots / power-off-when-rebooting issues.

//EDIT:

After flashing to 0711, I've had to redo all my overclocking from scratch. Pain-staking readjustment. 0711 needs to die in a damn fire.
    edited October 2006
    No point getting this bios then sir?
    edited October 2006
    No point at all. It boggles my mind that a revision would be so bad. I was basically double-checking to see if my situation was unique (Failing board), or fairly universal. More checking says stick with 0614.
    edited October 2006
    Thrax,

A tip to shave a few degrees off. You know the bracket that you secure the cpu down in the socket? The thing that the lever pushes down? Remove that and just use the pressure from the HS/Fan to secure it. 70% of all people who have tried it on the P5B series have shaved as much as 10c off.