Comments

• DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    sm34 hit another bump
    I'll keep you inform on how she's doing
    but right now she's not
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Just so everyone knows, DogDragon has been working like mad to get this rig going. It arrived with a couple of glitches which we need to iron out, but let me assure you that we are working on them. :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    qparadox checked in and she'll be up soon...

Liquid81 has her up...
  • edited November 2006
    I just sent a PM to csimon about the hub or switch too. If he needs one I have an extra 5 port hub here at the house that's not in use.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    While I am also waiting for promised instructions on how to properly install F@H on Kubuntu, that's not really the biggest problem with SM28.

The real problem is that the power has been going out about 1-2/day for a few minutes at a time since about the beginning of summer in my area, and I don't have a spare UPS for SM28 to use.

Duke energy promises that they are taking steps to resolve the issue.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    CB Droege wrote:
    While I am also waiting for promised instructions on how to properly install F@H on Kubuntu, that's not really the biggest problem with SM28.

The real problem is that the power has been going out about 1-2/day for a few minutes at a time since about the beginning of summer in my area, and I don't have a spare UPS for SM28 to use.

Duke energy promises that they are taking steps to resolve the issue.

I've got a few UPS's with bad batteries lying around, replaced them with rackmount versions. Probably wouldn't be too bad to ship if I take the battery out. I'll get the model numbers for you and you can see if you want to spring for a new batt. (or see if SMx will help...?)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    shwaip wrote:
    This won't be done this weekend. In the process of moving, I lost the OS drive for my linux box, and the cmos battery died on the mobo. I just got everything back up and running like it needs to be.

Unfortunately, I was going to use the smxstats codebase for this project, the most recent versions of which were also on that hd. :/

I really am working on this...I've had midterms the past two weeks (and my students had them last week), and I've got one more next week. Think ultra-busy.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited November 2006
    Sorry guys, I just got a message from QCH on Friday and got to SM-17 yesterday. Should have been sooner and I won't make any excuses.

SM-17 has had periodic troubles and I gave up trying to get her working on the same hardware last night. I've now switched the CPU onto another one of my vacant PC's and she's now folding away again (not overclocked).

The problem with SM17 is some sort of power issue ... I think. After being though 6 PSU's now, I'm betting on the motherboard instead. She stays stable for several to many hours (sometimes a day or two) before crashing. MBM temps were not terrible (never above 50*C) so I doubt its temp related.

I won't have time again to look at it until next weekend, but the other computer will fold as SM17 untill I can get the other hardware running.

Thanks and sorry,

Derek
    edited November 2006
    Thanks Derek.... Let us know if you need help. :thumbsup:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2006
    Just a FYI for you guys on IC13. I am going to have to move IC13 to the other side of my room where my main computer is. The desk that I have setup for IC13 to run on is going to have to be moved so that my hospital bed can fit in my room, but only for 4 weeks. I will make 100% sure everything is crunching before I step out of the house for my surgery. While I'm in the hospital for the 5 days if there is a power outage I will not be able to get IC13 online until I return home. I should be good to sit at my desk by 6-7 days and I will then check to make sure IC13 is still folding. I always have EM3 running and will make sure I keep an eye on it. Just a heads up incase you see IC13 down after November 9th you will know why.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Heh, I think we allow downage due to hospital visits :crazy:

Thanks for your dedication and good luck buddy :)
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited November 2006
    SM17 got her first new WU in in her new digs :)

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=21770

I'll slowly up the overclock over a month or so and hopefully get her back to the 1.80 GHz she was running at before (she's an old 1600+ and currently at stock).
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2006
    w00t good news qparadox.
    edited November 2006
    SM28 is up and running again. It might be a bit before it finished the unit it's working on, but it is crunching.
    edited November 2006
    Well, in less than a month we have managed to get most of the missing SMx rigs back online. THANK YOU everyone!!!

The last few remaining rigs have been assigned to SMx Committee members to routinely check up on. As a matter of fact, we have gone as far as to appoint a SMx Committee Member to check up on a group of SMx rigs. This "lost SMX" thing will NOT happen again.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    SM28 is up and running again.
    Thank you, CB!
    edited November 2006
    I had a bit of a problem with the 'no-nonsense' client. It was running, but not crunching, it was making no progress after almost a full day.

I installed the graphical client instead, and now it's working fine, so I'm not sure what that was about...
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Ok I read through this thread, and it seems to me I have a solution:

1) Setup a syslog daemon of some sorts at Sarnet headquarters.
    2) Setup client syslog loggers that will submit to the server.
    3) Setup the server to take the filtered logs and write a small script for a SMX status website.

Literally you could just parse the f@h logs and submit them to the server the daemon is setup on.

A few scripts like one that would email the host immedietly if a problem or inconsistency arrises, or like I said before one that could be translated to a SMX status website would be perfect.

We can do this right? We have the technology. We can rebuild the SMX.

:headbange
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    i'm relatively new to folding. apart from testing the app i have enver really joined in on what folding is about. i am building a rig and glad to be part of team short media shortly in about 2 weeks when my folding box is ready to join the sm team.

now today i read this thread and it seems that i have no idea whats going on in this thread/series of posts. can someone in a sentence or two give me an idea whats going on?

from my vantage point, i see that several computers assigned for folding aren't folding? whats SMx tho? i don't quite get that part.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Welcome isiea268!

Here's the skinny. SMx is a project that team members have been doing for quite a while now. The team collects donations of cash or hardware and uses them to build extra computers that are owned by Team 93. We send these systems to volunteers who will host them and let them run Folding 24/7.

Some of the hosts have been lax in their duties of keeping their SMx computer running. Also, some of the SMx computers have had hardware or software problems that prevent them from turning in points. In a few rare cases, some hosts have stolen the SMx computer they were put in charge of.

This thread is about getting all the SMx computers that aren't producting points back on track.

For a soon-to-be new team member, don't worry about it. If you want to know more about SMx, you can read up on it here:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9664
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Thanx buddy Jesus. although, i have had very little folding experience in the past, reading through this forum and website in general has made me feel a part of this community. I should have inquired nonetheless of my lack of folding history perhaps to get an smx and become one to join your team. sorry to hear about the stolen boxes.

on the other hand, i am a little too late, as about 2 weeks ago, i ordered parts specifically for a 24/7 folding machine. i have a dedicated connection, high speed broadband, and don't mind my soon to be folding computer to be on 24/7. here are its specs:

AMD Athlon socket-a 2400+ 35w FJQ4C 1800MHz, oc'd to 2400GHz <=(found one again on e-Bay!)
    DFi Lanparty NF2 Ultra-B
    1GB OCZ BH-5 RAM (2x512)
    200GB IDE HDD ARRAY (1x40GB Master, 160GB Slave)
    Standard CD-ROM
    SB-Live SoundCard

While folding 24/7, i'll use it to play some music and have it as my makeshift audio b0x. Anyways, i'll be looking forward to joining the SMx team with my OWN dedicated folding rig :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I should have inquired nonetheless of my lack of folding history perhaps to get an smx and become one to join your team. sorry to hear about the stolen boxes.
    99% of the computers used for Folding@Home in our team are privately owned by the users. The SMx project boxes are owned by Team 93. Those computers are only given out after intense scrutiny by a Team 93 committee. There are a number of qualifications that must be met before an "SMx Rig" is designated for a team member host.

By the way, the SMx project is doing well. It's just like any major project, their are sometimes hiccups in the middle of otherwise good success.