Hello from my USB thumbdrive!

2»

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    How do we setup our username and all console configurations of F@H?

If you want it to be easy, you boot the USB thumbdrive up, use the file manager to change the client.cfg, and use the tools built into DSL to make the LiveCD, based off of your own personalized DSL-F@H USB environment. Then you could just copy the CD over and over.

If you ever wanted to change your client.cfg settings, you could boot from a LiveCD, change the client.cfg, and use the tools in DSL to Burn a new LiveCD from your current session.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2006
    Just fyi I am a total linux n00b :(
    edited October 2006
    Just fyi I am a total linux n00b :(

I am too. This is all easy stuff, there's a Windows-XP style menu on the bottom left of the DSL desktop that has all of the tools listed... :)
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2006
    Awesome! Let me know when the livecd is ready so I can try it out :)
    edited October 2006
    Awesome! Let me know when the livecd is ready so I can try it out :)

ok fine, just light a fire under me why don't you... :P

brb
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I just found my USB drive, gonna try it out now... w00t!
    edited October 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I just found my USB drive, gonna try it out now... w00t!

when it boots, click the firefox icon and say hi from the USB drive! :-)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Can't... is there a way to connect to the wireless?
    edited October 2006
    RWB wrote:
    Can't... is there a way to connect to the wireless?

my wireless card was apparently too new (1yo?) for this distro of DSL, soryy...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Well it booted up without a hitch, by far the easiest installation I have ever done. I am sure the internet would work if I plugged in with ethernet, but my room is a good 10ft away and I am sitting comfortably outside working :)
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there any way to boot into vista so I can fold on my school computer without installing it?
    edited August 2008
    Gate28 wrote:
    sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there any way to boot into vista so I can fold on my school computer without installing it?

Wow.
    1. If the school won't let you install F@H, that means they don't want you running it
    2. Booting into another OS probably won't let you get around your internet filters, which is 99.999% of the reason kids ask this kind of thing
    3. Why Vista and not XP, unless you're looking to do more than F@H
    4. USB ports are typically not available for boot on a school system for exactly this reason
    5. You don't run F@H on a machine you don't own
    6. Vista isn't free, so you should have to pay for a license of each USB thumbdrive
    7. The USB thumbdrives would have to be enormous
    8. Vista is the most complex OS out there for copy protection, I have no idea how you would move the install from machine to machine without it locking itself down.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread, the procedure works, and I don't want a ton of kiddie spam in here.
This discussion has been closed.