Hello from my USB thumbdrive!

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Folding@Home
OK, so I'm no Linux expert, but I am writing this from a Damn Small Linux installation to a Lexmark JumpDrive memory key.

What's better, I figured out how to have FAH start automatically when the distro boots up! (After running it once to configure it with my name, etc.)

Anyone else want to try? I'll send the files, just PM me!

You''l know FAH is working when the 'processor usage' graph is pegged at 100%... :)

Oh, and it's only using 64.5 MB of RAM right now! (With FireFox open)

cool! My own portable folding platform!

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Oh, and total space taken up on the thumbdrive: 109MB

:-)
    edited October 2006
    OK, if anyone wants to try no-hard-drive-needed folding, grab an old 128MB+ usb thumbdrive, set your test rig to boot from USB-FDD (or USB-ZIP on some bioses) and give it a try!

(You'll need to boot into Linux and modify the config file if you want to get credit for the WU's you finish...)

I have a readme inside the zip file. I tried to make the install as painless as possible. Most of it is scripted via a batch file.

READ THE README. You need to change the installer batch file to point it towards the right drive letter of your USB thumbdrive.

The zip for all of this won't be available for long, so if anyone (or SM) wants to host it, that's cool.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/LHUOjFIhwLg%3D

edit: not sure if that link will work
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I will host it. Prime might, but I will put it up for now.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If I can download it, I'll host it directly on this server, but I can't get it from that link you sent.
    edited October 2006
    link remove because its on mortin now.
    it will be there in about 17 minutes, i am uploading it now.
    edited October 2006
    Andy, I'll grab it from there and put it up on the SM server. I'll let you know when its done :)
    edited October 2006
    cool thx guys! I was hoping someone else could test it also!! So far I know it works on my USB drive, but I need to make sure it works when distributed like this...
    edited October 2006
    It's Done
    edited October 2006
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    So is this a simple thing to use? Has a GUI and all? A linux n00b could use?
    edited October 2006
    RWB wrote:
    So is this a simple thing to use? Has a GUI and all? A linux n00b could use?

a linux n00b like me!!

here is where I'm at right now:

I put the usb key in the machine
    i hit enter when it says 'boot'
    I wait about a minute, and it's on a very easy-to-use desktop, and FAH is folding away in the background.

:)

I just need someone to try it, and see if this method of distribution works.

I also tried to write some easy-to-understand directions, d/l it and see if you can get it working! :)
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2006
    Hmmm....what about network adapter support?

~FA
    edited October 2006
    Hmmm....what about network adapter support?

~FA

It's based on Knoppix, so it automatically finds some of the more common network adapters. Couldn't find the ones on my laptop, but found and used the one on a desktop that wa laying around, so problems.

ymmv. I'm sure there's a way to make it support more NIC's, but I'm not enough of a Linux person to do it...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Nifty! :D
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Nifty! :D

Did it work for you?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Just downloaded it, but I'll probably try it this afternoon. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It woiks like a charm!
    edited October 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    It woiks like a charm!

sweeeet!!

:celebrate
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I ran it on my main rig. The only thing that didn't work was the wireless mouse, but no big deal. I'm going to run it on SM4, then see if I can PuTTY in. Shouldn't be a problem, right? I don't remember if you included SSH in there.
    edited October 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    I ran it on my main rig. The only thing that didn't work was the wireless mouse, but no big deal. I'm going to run it on SM4, then see if I can PuTTY in. Shouldn't be a problem, right? I don't remember if you included SSH in there.

I have no idea. it's a standard DSL install with the welcome page disabled, and FAH set to run at startup. Were you able to use the file manager to find client.cfg, and change to your own name?
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    technocrat, did anyone ever tell you your the man!!!

:headbanger:

cheers
    edited October 2006
    jared wrote:
    technocrat, did anyone ever tell you your the man!!!

:headbanger:

cheers

:thumbsup:

so it worked?
  • edited October 2006
    sticky, sticky, sticky
    edited October 2006
    mirage wrote:
    sticky, sticky, sticky

I think if someone wants to copy/paste the readme's I wrote, that might be a good how-to.

wtf, Maybe I should just stick with the screen saver version, this is getting goofy... :crazy:

...How to install and run FAH as a service on an OU via GPO
    ...How to run FAH as a service from a USB key
    ...? any requests? How to wire FAH into the human brain, perhaps?
  • edited October 2006
    I think if someone wants to copy/paste the readme's I wrote, that might be a good how-to.

wtf, Maybe I should just stick with the screen saver version, this is getting goofy... :crazy:

...How to install and run FAH as a service on an OU via GPO
    ...How to run FAH as a service from a USB key
    ...? any requests? How to wire FAH into the human brain, perhaps?

Although I have not tested, since my Linux is already running, I checked your zip file. And, readme is good enough, in my opinion. You did a great service to the community TT, imho. Thanks from a Linux fan. :clap::clap::clap:
    edited October 2006
    mirage wrote:
    Although I have not tested, since my Linux is already running, I checked your zip file. And, readme is good enough, in my opinion. You did a great service to the community TT, imho. Thanks from a Linux fan. :clap::clap::clap:

no prob. I'm pretty happy with it, although I'm not sure I did too much. Not bad for a 2-day linux class 2 years ago!
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2006
    Do you know if this can be turned into a live CD or something and load all stuff from RAM? I know its risky to be folding over ram, but at least it would be awesome for testing porpuses :)
    edited October 2006
    Do you know if this can be turned into a live CD or something and load all stuff from RAM? I know its risky to be folding over ram, but at least it would be awesome for testing porpuses :)

It is very, very easy to turn the USB-linux into a LiveCD. I was going to do it today but forgot.

Basically, this USB key thing I've been explaining is a distro called Damn Small Linux that has been modified to start FAH when the desktop finished loading.

Damn Small Linux comes as a LiveCD and contains tools to convert it to a USB key install, and to also remaster whatever you've done to DSL to a new LiveCD.

I'll post up an .iso when I get a chance, just had homework and work to do today...
    edited October 2006
    One thing to note: because I based this off of such a small distro, it wouldn't be hard to put the LiveCD ona business-card-sized CD and carry FAH around with you... :-)
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2006
    How do we setup our username and all console configurations of F@H?
This discussion has been closed.