IDE Drive With A SATA Drive: Storage Problem?

edited November 2006 in Hardware
OK, I managed to install an IDE with a SATA Drive (I had to disconnect the DVDRW & CDRW to do so) which is good for now. First comes first, the eMachine comes with the SATA Drive. I connected the 300GB Drive with the IDE cables from the Drives and it worked great, only that there's just one problem. The music files I have on the 300GB drive sound muffled/sluggish (just not the same as they normally do). Is there any reason as to why this is happening and would there be anyway to fix this? muddocktor already suggested I buy a roswell pci card to allow me to connect the IDE drive without disconnecting the CD Drives, like I did already (but I couldn't wait!!). Would I still get muffled/sluggish sounds from the music files stored in the IDE drive? I downloaded a few songs and they sound OK, the files in the IDE drive I connected are the ones who sound like crap!!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    What is the jumper setting on your drive? Put the jumper on "Cable Select" and see if that makes a difference. I've never heard of a hard drive swap making sound playback sluggish. If that doesn't work, we'll see if we can find you updated motherboard drivers for the SATA controller.

That's just strange, as if the drive platter is not spinning at the correct speed.
  • edited November 2006
    What seems strange is that I have an external HD, about 55-57gb full of music files and all of them seem to play fine. The files from the internal HD (IDE) are the ones who seem to skip and sound muffled at times.
    Music files from added internal HD sound sluggish and skip/sound muffled at times
    Downloaded music files play fine as so do music files from the external HD.

I still have to see for that jumper setting and see if that solves my problem if not I'll be back.
  • edited November 2006
    Well no, I tried that jumper setting and still seem to be having the same problem. The music files from the IDE drive still sound muffled and tend to skip every few seconds or so... but continuously throught every song!

Well... There's no distorstion, or sluggish/skipping sounds from the music files if I connect the HD externally, but that's not the point. I want to have the HD internally not externally. Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?