SM25 gets an upgrade??? Yesss.....

2»

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Wow....friggin errors all over the damn place! I am going to swap out her current RAM for something else and see if she'll take 2414s now. Course I'll have to wait for her to get one. This really bites though! I only ran it up to 35% and got 5 errors.

~FA
    If you're getting errors in Memtest, then I think your answer is right there. Have you played around with the timings at all?
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2006
    No I haven't. Timings are stock. I am going to wait and see if the swapped RAM made a difference. If it didn't I'm going to change to DDR2. I don't know what the deal could be if all that doesn't help.

~FA
  • edited October 2006
    If it's still acting up when I get in, FA, I can loan you a Celeron 326 that I have sitting at the house too, to see if it's some kind of weird incompatibility with the 6300 and your ram/mobo combo. The Celeron is a leftover from having to flash the bios of my P5W DH board when I first got it to a Conroe capable bios.

I did play with it a bit (the Celery) beofre my e6300 came in and I was able to run it on a 200 fsb too. That was a 50% overclock on it. :D
    edited October 2006
    That'd be appreciated Mudd. I checked on the ECS website just to make sure there is official support for the E6300 and there is (I checked before I bought it too.)

Tonight if SM25 still doesn't have any 2414s, I'll pull one from one of my other machines (copied of course) and see if it nukes it over and over. I'm sick of waiting for her to be assigned one.

~FA
    edited December 2006
    Just to update...SM25 was down for several weeks but I finally was able to purchase an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA PT880 Pro from Newegg. Shifted some stuff around, switched over to PC5400 A-Data DDR2 and she is running wonderfully again. Not dumping units or anything.

Her previous Core 2 Duo "compatible" board met a twisted fate:
    IMG_4310.jpg

SM25 Now:
    IMG_4311.jpg

Hopefully everything will be running smoothly for months to come now!

::EDIT::

Forgot to mention, this board will actually OVERCLOCK, go figure, so the E6300 is running at a nominal 2.1GHz. Won't go any farther because I'm using a crappy PSU for now.

~FA
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited December 2006
    Here's a question. What would make a machine barf up all the 2414s that it receives after only a couple of frames, but give it an 18xx series WU and it works fine? That's what I'm seeing out of this new hardware. I get early_unit_ends out of all the 2414s it receives. All other units seem to be fine though.

~FA

Hi FA,

You are not alone and i can assure you it is not the pc, every single pc that folds for us @home or corporate have eue'd 2414's left right and centre, nothing is overclocked and the few corps that are still folding are throttled down to 80% at idle priority. "So it's not as if they are being taxed"

It is a work unit problem as far as i am concerned, the newer ribo's are also doing the same. The pc's will crunch anything else to 100% completion over and over, but as soon as a ribo is assigned it is a 50/50 bet that 1 in every 2 or 3 will eue.

I honestly believe that your pc is fine. :)

Shal
  • edited December 2006
    I'm glad to hear that the new board is working out for you, FA. I went ahead and bought that i865G board for my E6300, but the max stable fsb speed I can get out of it is around 289 fsb. But it is running great there and is much more productive than the old P4 it replaced. I figure I will do some more farm upgrading after the new year and replace my last P4 system with something more energy efficient, like maybe the upcoming E4300's that Intel should be introducing in the first quarter of next year. It is supposed to be cheaper than the E6300 and has a 9 multi instead a 7, so should overclock higher on a cheap board.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    WOW, FF.... What a nice rig!!! Thanks for being a great team mate and host!!!
    :smokin:
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited December 2006
    Sorry to ask, but are you running 2 windows clients or the SMP beta client? You can get 800PPD+ out of that SM machine with the SMP under linux. Let me know if you need any help on that. :)

Anyway, congrats on this "upgrade". :D
    It will put to shame all other SMx´s.
    edited December 2006
    I am just running 2 instances of the standard client. Not going to SMP until they port it to Windows.

~FA
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Well done! You are a great ambassador for Team 93.