T93 October Challenge!!

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I am at a technical conf and I have been trying to recruit. I don't know if any of the guys will fold or not, but I am trying.

Of course my production is in the ****ter. It looks like I have had a couple of boxes go offline in my absence. Sometimes you can't win.
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited October 2006
    Edit: 16 x Dual1.8GHz PPC G5s and 16 x Dual 2.0GHz PPC G5s now folding.
    I have only set each with a single instance of the Terminal/Console, so I assume they will show up as a single CPU each.
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited October 2006
    mirage wrote:
    Hi Shalimar,

Regarding the efficiency of FAH configuration, do you mean you are running 2 FAH jobs on an HT CPU or a dual-core CPU. My experience with HT P4 CPU's is that, it is more efficient two run single FAH job. But if you mean dual-core, yeah, I am also running two instances in parallel on the dual-core processors.

Thanks for the feeedback, later

Here is the link to the thread about the zip file for Linux
    http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50697

Hi mirage,

We are running strictly on single cored cpu's, the dual core cpu's will not come in untill after xmas.

As for running 1 verses 2 instances, i find a gain of approximatly 20% by running 2 instances unless ofcourse if it is a qmd protein, in which case we would run 1 instance per pc.

Shal
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited October 2006
    I'd be interested in hearing what Datsun's got going on as far as a client.cfg/hardware these days
    The following is my at present 7 dedicated Boxen (14 processors):
    Opteron 170
    P4 830
    P4 840XE
    P4 920
    P4 940
    E6400
    E6600
    All run with 2Gb of RAM.

I overclock 20-30% depending on heat output, I prefer stability over summer as it can get into 50C plus ambient territory.

I run with big packets, and only run the -local flag for the two Consoles.

Datsun 1600
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Edit: 16 x Dual1.8GHz PPC G5s and 16 x Dual 2.0GHz PPC G5s now folding.
    I have only set each with a single instance of the Terminal/Console, so I assume they will show up as a single CPU each.

NICE!!!:respect::respect::respect:

that's 32 instances of FAH - GREAT JOB!!!!!
    edited October 2006
    The following is my at present 7 dedicated Boxen (14 processors):
    Opteron 170
    P4 830
    P4 840XE
    P4 920
    P4 940
    E6400
    E6600
    All run with 2Gb of RAM.

I overclock 20-30% depending on heat output, I prefer stability over summer as it can get into 50C plus ambient territory.

I run with big packets, and only run the -local flag for the two Consoles.

Datsun 1600

Ah, ok. So it seems that enabling bigpackets will result in 2 to 3 times the points per day per processor! Thanks for the info! If there is anyone with dedicated folding machines, looks like now is the time to make sure you've got bigpackets enabled!
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2006
    Holy crap, nice work guys. Keep the WU's crunching. Fold on!
    edited October 2006
    Clutch wrote:
    Holy crap, nice work guys. Keep the WU's crunching. Fold on!

no kidding, we're doing great! Let's keep this momentum going!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Hey TT if your CPU count goes over your currently max number I think you should add those to the new CPU's :)

Active processors
    (within 50 days) 257
    edited October 2006
    Hey TT if your CPU count goes over your currently max number I think you should add those to the new CPU's :)

Active processors
    (within 50 days) 257

:)

ehhh, I dunno... I rolled out to those machines before the thread started... ;)

anyways, it looks like we've got some T93 team members really stepping up! Don't think we'll need to count those machines of mine!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    T - Technocrat
    E - Encourages
    A - Awesome
    M - Momentum
    edited October 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    T - Technocrat
    E - Encourages
    A - Awesome
    M - Momentum

:bigggrin: thanks Q...

I think today I'll try to answer all helpdesk calls either in acrostic or haiku.

(I've done it before!)
  • edited October 2006
    Shalimar wrote:
    Hi mirage,

We are running strictly on single cored cpu's, the dual core cpu's will not come in untill after xmas.

As for running 1 verses 2 instances, i find a gain of approximatly 20% by running 2 instances unless ofcourse if it is a qmd protein, in which case we would run 1 instance per pc.

Shal

Hey Shal,
    Thanks for waking me up :respect: I tested two jobs on a single HT CPU. It is indeed faster to run two FAH instances at once.
    It was 52 minutes for 1% computation (Gromacs core) when running a single job. I started another one (both of them Gromacs core) the time to complete 1% became 87 minutes for the first job . So, it is exactly 16.3% faster to complete two jobs in parallel instead of running sequentially on an HT CPU. :bigggrin: :thumbsup:
    edited October 2006
    mirage wrote:
    Hey Shal,
    Thanks for waking me up :respect: I tested two jobs on a single HT CPU. It is indeed faster to run two FAH instances at once.
    It was 52 minutes for 1% computation (Gromacs core) when running a single job. I started another one (both of them Gromacs core) the time to complete 1% became 87 minutes for the first job . So, it is exactly 16.3% faster to complete two jobs in parallel instead of running sequentially on an HT CPU. :bigggrin: :thumbsup:

nice research!

I wonder if the L2 cache or FSB speed of the processor makes a difference when using 2 instances on a HT processor.

What's your proc? fsbspeed//cache?

If anyone else is out there running 2 instances of FAH on a dedicated HT proc, please post how long it takes to complete 1% of a gromacs, and your processor stats!

(I've got a few, but none of them are on gromacs right now... :( )
  • edited October 2006
    nice research!

I wonder if the L2 cache or FSB speed of the processor makes a difference when using 2 instances on a HT processor.

If anyone else is out there running 2 instances of FAH on a dedicated HT proc, please post how long it takes to complete 1% of a gromacs, and your processor stats!

The test was done with Northwood P4 3.06GHz (512K L2, 533 FSB) running at 3.45GHz@600 FSB, on an MSI GNB-Max board (i7205 chipset) with dual channel 1GB DDR300 memory.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    alright i got me another one folding

i loaded up the server that is in our apartment, it should be crunching away right now! :bigggrin:

:fold:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    nice research!

In short yes.

In the current run of gromacs it doens't seem to matter much, but when the QMD's were out, it would cripple a machine because they took sooooo much memory bandwidth (and wouldn't readily give it back up)

This was on a dual Xeon (2.9 currently) with HT. The fsb was bumped from 100 to223.

On this set-up I ccould run 1 qmd per proc, with a standard WU on the other thread.

Jon and Sally could prob. give you the info as most of their farm is HT Intels. (IIRC)
    edited October 2006
    jared wrote:
    alright i got me another one folding

i loaded up the server that is in our apartment, it should be crunching away right now! :bigggrin:

:fold:

nice! added.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    It's not much but I just added 1 more instance to my Xeons. I had cut back to 3 instances because of summer heat.
    edited October 2006
    Donut wrote:
    It's not much but I just added 1 more instance to my Xeons. I had cut back to 3 instances because of summer heat.

every little bit helps. added.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited October 2006
    With the QMD Proteins, a 600 series P4 would run 2 instances of QMD's with 1Gb of RAM. The 2Mb of cache, not only made them run a lot quicker, but allowed the second instance to run at the same time, the cache on the CPU has a big affect on the times of the memory hungry Proteins.

Datsun 1600
    edited October 2006
    With the QMD Proteins, a 600 series P4 would run 2 instances of QMD's with 1Gb of RAM. The 2Mb of cache, not only made them run a lot quicker, but allowed the second instance to run at the same time, the cache on the CPU has a big affect on the times of the memory hungry Proteins.

Datsun 1600

I think we need to start working out a priority list for parts...seems like we have enough smart people here that we can figure it out. I'll have a go, knowing full well that it isn't quite right...maybe...

I'm moving this to a new thread, too important to bury in the challenge here! :headbange
  • edited October 2006

Datsun 1600

And a bloody ripper CPU that has turned out to be. That and it's minime 530 brother.
    edited October 2006
    my bro's new c2d laptop is folding x2! :) added.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I added four cores today. (In my name)
    edited October 2006
    I added four cores today. (In my name)

NICE! added.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Not sure it counts... Found two old PC's that hadn't been folding since last November... Both are 2GHz...

Also added 2 x Dual Cores... Quess that means 4.

So... mark me down for 6 CPUS!!!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2006
    I can't add anything. Our three PCs are on 24/7 and I can't get another but, GO TEAM.
    edited October 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Not sure it counts... Found two old PC's that hadn't been folding since last November... Both are 2GHz...

Also added 2 x Dual Cores... Quess that means 4.

So... mark me down for 6 CPUS!!!

nice!! added.
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited October 2006
    Two more 2.0GHz PPC G5 cpus folding.