Radeon 9800 Pro Problem, Please Help

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Recently problems have occured with my Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb. Ive had it for about 2 years now and just recently in April it got screwed up and crazy images started 2 show. Here are 2 examples of what Im seeing :
http://images1.paxed.com/8M/2/23/232/2328356.jpg While trying to run Dark Messiah
http://images2.paxed.com/O3/2/23/232/2328359.jpg After Exiting Dark Messiah screen got screwed up
Im not 100% sure what my problem is but Im thinking my GPA is way to hott..... At one point it was working fine 5 minutes later it went psycho lol
ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO TO FIX IT? Any opinions are welcome but please dont be stupid lol

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    Try blowing out any dust, and look for your warranty info. might be RMA time if it's still covered.
  • edited October 2006
    Donut, I blew under the stock fan and i played Dark Messiah great and it was running fine just a lil bit of the problem was showing but rarely and if it can stay like that forever it would be good. I just ordered a Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3(http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ArcticCooling/VGASilencer_Rev3/images/package1_small.jpg) because I think it will help Im thinkin the reason why im having problems is because i never clean the card. So Im hoping with the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3 and me cleaning the card before I install it that it will be just fine. Opinions Please!!! :Rocker:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    Glad a cheap fix worked. It still might be worthwhile to do a little window shopping in case your current card starts acting up again.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I use that revision on my 9800Pro, you'll be happy with your purchase. My stock fan began to die on me, ended up buying the silencer for that reason and I'm glad I did. Deathly silent.
  • edited October 2006
    NIGHTS Did your origional stock fan start to fade away and you began to see what i see in the images I posted?
  • edited October 2006
    I think you just entered the matrix
  • edited October 2006
    Well now im 100% sure its the graphic card.....got the silence but it didnt fix the problem....Can anyone tell me what do i do to get a new card sent to me in replace for this one? What Can I do
  • edited October 2006
    Put your original heatsink back on the card and then RMA it to your manufacturer if it's still under warantee. Otherwise it's replacement time. I had a 9700 Pro die like that myself. The fan died and it overheated the gpu core and damaged it. I was able to RMA mine with Newegg (it was just under a year old) for a refund then bought a refurb AIW 9800 Pro as a replacement. If your card is a card sold by ATI, I think it is still under warantee.
  • ChristofChristof Australia
    edited October 2006
    Wait up , Last week my little brother's 9600 pro did the exact same thing and i cleaned it with metho and put it in the oven.

It runs fine.

it sounds like a stupid thing to do and everyone laughed at me but it works now.

everytime i have had to send a videocard back i dont have a pc for at least a month.

It depends how much you care about the card too because sometimes it messes up and breaks.
  • edited October 2006
    So Fill out an RMA and send to ATI? Cuz I beleive this card has 5 year Warranty on it...
  • edited October 2006
    anyone have an idea of what the warranty is on a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb????? :wtf:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    I would suggest going to the ATI website and check under customer care, you should be able to find out what your warranty is, and check to see if it's still covered. (I think) It's been a while since I had to RMA anything back to them. (Radeon 7500)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I think most of ATI's warranties were 2 years when those came out. Not to sure as they change all the time. Might want to conatct ATI'sa customer service as mentioned above.
  • edited October 2006
    Dude my girlfriend's monitor is doing that now...it might not be your vid card.

Her monitor is old and dying...and it doesn't happen *all* the time.

The next time you see that, try smacking your monitor on the side. I'm not kidding. If it fixes it, it's your monitor. :tongue2:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Possible, but I doubt the monitor is the problem. I've seen plenty of failing monitors and a number of failing video cards, and K's supplied images like the latter.

And Treadstone, if you are talking about "smacking" the monitor, you must be referring to a CRT monitor, right? LOL, I know exactly what you are talking about. :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    The smaking only lasts so long... I had a few CRTs end up in smaking death in the long run...

You start smaking the CRT Monitor and it works, but as time goes on you have to smack the CRT more or harder to get the damn thing to work, than it just up and dies on you.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Another young man having fallen for the allure of monitor smacking! Stay away, it will ruin your life!