Conroe on DDR and Conroe vcore pinmod!

edited October 2006 in Hardware
For all you folks that are thinking of going to a Conroe based system but don't want to be spending a whole bunch of money at one time, there is now an Asrock board based on the Intel i865G chipset, called the 775i65G. I will be ordering this in the next few days so it will be waiting for me when I get in from work, so I can upgrade an older folding system that presently has an IC7-G and Northwood P4 in it. Since I already own an e6300 Allendale proc that is just sitting around since I got my e6600 in, I figured that this would be a good way to upgrade the folding prowness of that old rig without breaking the bank buying a new mobo, ram and vid card. I can just reuse my present DDR and vid card from that system and spend $50 for the board. BTW, this board can also run dual core Presslers too, but I would be very careful with overclocking a Pressler on it so you don't smoke the mosfets.

The board does have a few drawbacks though. I downloaded the manual for it and it has very limited vdimm adjustments (typical of Asrock) and no vcore adjustment that I can find. I think that with my OCZ PC3200 Plats, the high vdimm setting in bios might be enough for running decent timings, but depending on how well the old i865G chipset overclocks on the fsb, I might need to get a little more vcore. And this is when I found a nice guide on doing a pinmod for Conroe, which are actually pads instead of pins on the LGA775 processor package.

I found a link to a nice guide at VR-Zone, which shows just how easy this mod really is. I guess we should thank Intel for making our modding job easier. :D With just a few dabs of conductive paint and depending on the vcore you want, a little creative cutting of some tape, you should be able to vmod your Conroe to what you need.

I will update this thread with results on how well this board does with my Allendale and I hope that the old chipset on an updated board like this will do well on fsb overclocking. And after the New year, Intel will start selling 200 fsb versions of the Allendale procs too, so it should make for even easier overclocks with this board.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    Nice find!

A Conroe instead of my 805d, Hmmmm. Or better yet, 2 Conroes instead of my dual Xeon.:rarr:
  • edited October 2006
    Well, I just did the deed and pushed the buy button at newegg on it. It came to $50.12 shipped. :D

Now I I'll be anxious to get in from the jobsite once it arrives at the house.:woowoo:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    Ooooo, can't wait either. I also read some rumors about the Xeon 3040 being the same proc as the 6300 except the Xeon has 4MB cache. only a 20.00 price difference. Seems Intels spec sheets don't co-incide with each other. Waiting to see how this rumor pans out also.

I'm getting the upgrade itch, bad!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2006
    Going to be watching this with much curiousity! Keep us posted, Mudd :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    !!!~Nice~!!!
  • edited October 2006
    I checked this morning and UPS shows it as being on schedule for a Thursday delivery. So it will be waiting for me when I get in from the rig Monday evening. And if I'm not too tired when I get in I will be ripping that rig apart to get her up and running. :D
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2006
    Mudd: You linked the wrong article in your first post, that guide is for LGA P4 chips, This one is for the core 2.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Wow, I didn't realize the "pins" on a Conroe were flat contacts. I was wondering how you were supposed to use conductive paint! ;D

Totally subscribed to this thread. Best of luck, Mudd!
  • edited October 2006
    deicist wrote:
    Mudd: You linked the wrong article in your first post, that guide is for LGA P4 chips, This one is for the core 2.

Thanks for catching that, deicist. I had found the Conroe pinmod by first looking at the LGA775 P4 pinmod article and must have linked the wrong one.:doh: Thank you for catching that. :)

I corrected my original link and for those of you that need a pinmod article for a regular LGA 775 P4, this link is for you. ;);D;D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Wow, I didn't realize the "pins" on a Conroe were flat contacts.
    Starting with D8XX dual core series, all Intel dual core CPUs are manufactured for LGA motherboards - Land Grid Array. On the CPU, the contacts are no pins, rather just round contact points. The motherboard socket has tiny springloaded, conductive prongs that function as 'pins.' AMD is manufacturing LGA parts now, but I don't know which CPU models those are.
  • edited October 2006
    It's the new Opteron packaging, Leo. It has over 1200 pads on it! :eek3:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It's definitely far superior too the traditional pin construction, as far as physical security of the CPU is concerned. Gone are the days of being worried about bent or broken pins. One also doesn't need to worry about dust or grit getting into the pin slots of the Ziff socket while the motherboard or CPU is being worked on.
  • Paradox_969Paradox_969 Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2006
    Muddoktor,
    I haven't checked in on the forum for a while now. Today I notice your post!

I've been running an ASROCK 775i65G for a while now with an E6400 and all the parts in my sig (have to update that).

Overclocking isn't that good. I have my FSB@284 giving me a C2D@2.276 ( 2.13 stock). The board has NO memory divider selection in the BIOS and defaults my MUSHKIN DDR500 to a 190MHz-3:2 ratio-2.5-3-2-6.

I have tried overclocking higher and I can boot up to a FSB of 300MHz but I get crashes. I am convinced that it is v-droop, the same damn thing that dogged me with my P5P800-SE. I've seen the vcore CPU mod at VR-Zone but I've been too busy to pull my CPU. My hope is that if I'me lucky I can get a stable OC to near 300FSB. I'm sure that it won't go any higher at all without a v-droop mod and I have yet to see one for this board. Cheap board=low quality power delivery.

I don't want to sound glum, this CPU kicks ass, just not as much ass as if I had a better board (requiering new memory and video). I am headed in that direction......slowly. I will try the vcore paint mod....but I have to buy a conductive pen this week, if I can find the time.

I have my eyes set on a P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi. I'd like to team that up with some G.SKILL F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12. And then some really good video card from ATI.

Cheers!!!!!
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks for the info, Paradox. I might just go ahead and do a paint job on the proc before I even install it then. Even if it won't overclock too high, it will still outpoint the present setup, which is a P4 Northie at 3100, at folding. And who knows, maybe a little higher vcore will let me get over 300 MHz fsb on it. As for your memory speed options, have you tried setting them with memset 3.0 in windows? I'll attach the file to this post for you to give it a try.
  • edited October 2006
    Well yesterday I pulled my old Pee4 system down and ripped the IC7-G and P4 2.4 out of her and installed the 775i65G and my E6300 in her. I went to boot her up and it looked at first like I might have gotten a bad board as it didn't seem like it wanted to boot at first, but it finally went ahead and posted. I went in bios and monitored temps for a while then went and set my memory timings manually to 2-2-2-2-5. I saved the settings and then went to boot her up with a hard drive I had pulled out of service about 9 months ago and good old Win2K that was installed on that hard drive survived yet another mobo and cpu transplant.:D I ran it for around 15 minutes at stock speeds then rebooted and tried going up to 300 fsb with it. I then had spontaneous reboots at 300 fsb, which actually runs my ram at it's rated 200 MHz. I then booted up with memtest86 and went to bed. This morning when I woked up I went and checked and I was showing plenty of memroy errors in memtest. I then went and relaxed my timings to 2.5-3-3-8 and ran a loop of memtest with no errors and then rebooted the machine again. I still had spontaneous reboots at 300 fsb with it, so I went and changed the fsb back to the stock 266 and let her run for a while there this morning. It seemed perfectly stable at the stock speeds, so I went and changed my ram timings back to 2-2-2-5 and set the fsb to 285 and ran another loop of memtest86 with no errors. Right now I have it up and running with the lan cord unplugged and folding 2 instances of Folding@Home, testing for system stability. It's now been running at these settings for about an hour and stable so far.

I'm thinking that the high fsb speeds that these 266 fsb Allendales are going to limit the total overclock with this board. I think that this old chipset will be having problems dealing with fsb speeds over 300 and I think that the problem isn't due to board design or implementation, but rather the chipset itself. This will be a nice and cheap board for someone to migrate their rig to Conroe without having to buy everything at once though and at $50, it's pretty much a throwaway later on after you get enough money together for a better Conroe board and some decent DDR2 ram and a PCI-e vid card. Also, in the first quarter of next year, Intel is also supposed to start selling some Allendales with a 200 fsb (E4300) that has a 9 multi. That would be an outstanding processor for this board as it should allow for a 50% overclock out of the processor.

I will also check around and see if anyone has come up with a board mod to get more voltage to the northbridge for this mobo. More chipset volts might just get this old i865G chipset some more fsb headroom. BTW, I like the way that Asrock set up the nb mounting system on this board better than the setup that Asus used on my P5W DH or Abit used on the IC7-G. It uses 4 loops to secure the nb cooler down instead of just 2 like the others, so it should be able to mount any aftermarket nb cooler securely with no problems. The other big problem with this mobo is the fact that it doesn't have any vdimm options past 2.7v. My OCZ Plat PC3200 can't even run it's rated 2-2-2-5 timings at it's rated 200 MHz with just 2.7v it seems. And since this is a mATX board, it only has 2 ram slots so using a DDR booster is out too. The layout isn't too bad, but I don't like the placement of the ATX connector between the I/O connectors and the socket, but it's still livable. The ram slots are a decent distance away from the socket and there is still adequate room to install and remove the ram with the video card installed. There are also 3 pci slots as well as an AMR slot on the board.
  • edited October 2006
    Another update on the system here. It seemed stable at 285 fsb, left it there for around 2 1/2 hours. Then I bumped it up to 290 fsb, which gives a mem speed of 192 MHz with this board. I've been running memtest86 on my ram there and have gotten errors at it's spd timings of 2-2-2-5. I then tried backing the timings down to 2.5-3-3-7 and I still got memory errors. I pulled the OCZ Plat Rev 2 pc3200 out and I just plugged in 2 X 512 sticks of Gigaram stuff I got from Leo several months ago and I'm presently running memtest on it with the timings set at it's spd values, which are 2.5-3-3-6. I don't know if the board or the ram is the problem yet, but maybe this test will help me figure it out. If the Gigaram tests good, then I guess it's RMA time for the OCZ.
  • edited October 2006
    An update on this rig for today here. I woke up this morning and went into the computer room and heard this click-click-click noise coming from a stack of 4 folding rigs in the corner. I checked and sure enough, it was coming from the new rig. I had drug an old IBM Deathstar out of the spare parts heap to build this machine with and sure enough, the Deathstar lived up to it's name. It died big time. :rant:

So I guess I will have to do some drive swapping this weekend and get it back up again. I just wonder if maybe the instability I was seeing above 290 fsb was because of the dying Deathstar. I'm debating whether I should take that dead drive apart and scavenge the magnets out of it or bring it out to the Atchafalaya Levee and shoot the bastard and get some payback. :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Atchafalaya Levee

Gesundheit.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Gesundheit.
    LOL
  • edited October 2006
    Typical yankee, don't know an american word when it bites him in the ass.:grumble:

J/K!!;D;D;D