Windows will not boot

mazmaz
edited November 2006 in Hardware
Win XP Service Pack 1

My laptop will not boot up to the start-up screen. Last know config won't work. It won't even boot in safe mode. My computer was working fine before, except for the computer would occasionaly shutdown when running AVG. This would be an indication of the problem, except that it seemed to be more from overheating during the scan. It also didn't happen all the time. For some reason, I can't even get to the "repair Windows" screen when the OS disc is in the drive.

Here are the two error messages I get:

File setupdd.sys could not be loaded
the error code is 4
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit

Pressing any key causes the computer to restart.

File ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded
the error code is 7

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    See if this info helps.

They mention removing PCI devices, which obviously would be rather difficult in a laptop. Are there any PCMCIA cards you could yank, then try the process again?
  • mazmaz
    edited October 2006
    Yes, I did a search of the error message and I came across tha information. I'm hoping it's just my removable ram. I noticed there was another user that pretty much has the same problem. I just thought I'D give a shot here.
    edited October 2006
    Try a few passes of Memtest-86, both with the extra RAM and without it. :)
  • mazmaz
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for that link. I have a 512 RAM chip I got off Crucial. I took it out and now my computer will boot. I don't think I handled it properly the last time I opened up my laptop and fooled around inside.

I guess it's a good thing I don't have any serious problems, but now I'm only stuck with 256mbof memory.

Thanks for the assistance!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If you can find a way to test the memory with the too mentioned above, MemTest, you should do so. If the RAM is defective, Crucial would probably replace. I think ( not sure) that they have a one-year warranty.
  • mazmaz
    edited October 2006
    I can't test the memory with it in the laptop because I can't log in to Windows. The memory is out of warranty, plus I probably ruined it myself by not handling it correctly when I had to remove it from my laptop (I ended up getting the keyboard replaced, so I had to send the laptop in it's original factory condition)
    edited October 2006
    maz wrote:
    I can't test the memory with it in the laptop because I can't log in to Windows...
    The test runs off a bootable CD or floppy. No OS required.

Laptops are a lot fussier about memory compatibility than are desktops. There's a fair chance that the RAM is good, just not able to work in that particular machine. Most laptop and RAM manufacturers keep a list of equipment that their product has been tested with. Check with Crucial and the laptop manufacturer and see if they have any known issues. :)
  • edited November 2006
    maz wrote:
    Win XP Service Pack 2

My PC will not boot up to the start-up screen. Last know config won't work. It won't even boot in safe mode. My computer was working fine before .For some reason, I can't even get to the "repair Windows" screen when the OS disc is in the drive.

This is the error messge that i am getting get:

the error code is 4

what will be the solution for this error..?
  • edited November 2006
    arun3300 wrote:
    maz wrote:
    Win XP Service Pack 2

My PC will not boot up to the start-up screen. Last know config won't work. It won't even boot in safe mode. My computer was working fine before .For some reason, I can't even get to the "repair Windows" screen when the OS disc is in the drive.

This is the error messge that i am getting get:

the error code is 4

what will be the solution for this error..?
  • Gadgetman53Gadgetman53 Alabama, U.S.
    edited November 2006
    My laptop was recently doing something similar. I couldn't even boot from an instal disc because it would blue screen and get into a reboot loop. A friend made a Bart's PE disc and then ran checkdisc and it fixed the file system (the file system was corrupt). It now works.