i need to know the better one

edited October 2006 in Hardware
hey, which one is better, the 7900 GT 256 mb pci-e or the 6800 Ultra 256 mb pci-e

please respond and tell me why, thanks

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    7900GT. More pixel pipelines. 24 vs 16.
  • edited October 2006
    yea but isn't the 6800 ultra 256mb pci-e more expensive?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Ignore price, look at architecture. The 7800GT is a newer generation of GPU. It has more pipelines, therefore a higher fill rate and higher memory bandwidth.
  • edited October 2006
    well i understand your point, but couldnt the 6800 Ultra be backed up by its 130(something, i forgot what its called, the 7900 gt has 90). or would this spec not influence much on gameplay?
    edited October 2006
    You must be talking about die size. The smaller, the better. The 6800 uses a 130 nanometer die, the 7900GT a 90 nanometer die. Smaller dies run at a lower voltage, and produce less heat.

But if after all that, you still want to pay more for a prior generation GPU with less power, be my guest.
  • edited October 2006
    wait, so what you are saying is that 90 is better than 130?
  • edited October 2006
    oh and why would the 6800 ultra cost more than the 7900 gt, i thought it was worse, wasnt it?
    edited October 2006
    revenger wrote:
    wait, so what you are saying is that 90 is better than 130?

No, I'm saying 130 is worse than 90.
    revenger wrote:
    oh and why would the 6800 ultra cost more than the 7900 gt, i thought it was worse, wasnt it?

I have no idea, you said the 6800 was more expensive, not me.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    130nm=less dies per wafer = higher production cost? Ultra sounds faster than GT? People that don't ask questions will pay more for an un-educated guess?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    get the 7900GT, just trust us.

It has more pixel pipelines, higher memory bandwidth, 90nm die, and most likely support for the last gen goodies such as SM3, and others. But if the "Ultra" makes you sleep better at night, get that one.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    As time goes on they keep shrinking the core. Who ever thought shrinkage was better?
    Look at any cpu or gpu roadmap and you'll see the trend. It's been happening all of these years ...slowly but surely.

At any rate ...the 6800 was a good performer over a year ago until the 7800 came along. Now it's up to 7900 & 7950.
    Soon the die size will be 45 nm and will most likely outperform all of the above.

Just a case of smaller is better.:nudge:
  • edited October 2006
    oh well thanks guys,
    but to kinda show how your statement is true, i can't seem to find good benchmark comparisons of the two. could someone compare the two cards for me through benchmarks please.

if possible, the games for the benchmarks could be call of duty 2, or F.E.A.R., or battlefield 2, or counter strike source

thanks a bunch
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Look, listen to me, because I'm going to say this once and only once.

1. I will not find you benchmarks, because this is a commonly-accepted fact you won't take Kwitko's word on.

2. The 7900GT IS SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER THAN ANY PRODUCT NVIDIA MAKES THAT STARTS WITH THE NUMBER "6."

That is all.
    edited October 2006
    yeh, they go in a sequence for a reason, it is hierarchial. pretty simple really.

7900>7600
    7800>6800

there really isn't much left to argue.

Do I need to shine the Sledge light?:confused2
    edited October 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Look, listen to me, because I'm going to say this once and only once.

1. I will not find you benchmarks, because this is a commonly-accepted fact you won't take Kwitko's word on.

2. The 7900GT IS SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER THAN ANY PRODUCT NVIDIA MAKES THAT STARTS WITH THE NUMBER "6."

That is all.
    7>6 ...LOL

After a little research it seems that 2x6800gt's sli mode may come close to 1x7900gt standalone in some applications/games.
    My bet is still on the 7900 because it's the bigger number!!!

As far as a benchmark comparrison you probably won't even google that since the cards are a generation apart ...thus no comparrison.
    Here is a configurator from tomshardware ...it may be helpful though.

tomshardware interactive vga charts
    edited October 2006
    revenger wrote:
    oh well thanks guys,
    but to kinda show how your statement is true, i can't seem to find good benchmark comparisons of the two. could someone compare the two cards for me through benchmarks please.

if possible, the games for the benchmarks could be call of duty 2, or F.E.A.R., or battlefield 2, or counter strike source

thanks a bunch

Google is such a wonderful and useful tool.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I guess I missed this thread :)

Here are some main points why a 7900GT spanks on a 6800Ultra... I will try to make it quick and Clear but being a Nvidia Nut I might get to in-depth for most people :)

Nvidia 6800Ultra
    Graphics Bus: PCI Express
    Graphic Core: 400MHz
    GPU Die Size: 130nm
    Memory Interface: 256-bit
    Memory Bandwidth: 35.2 GB/sec.
    Fill Rate (texels/sec.): 6.4 billion
    Vertices per Second: 600 million
    Memory Data Rate: 1100 MHz
    Pixels per Clock (peak): 16

Nvidia 7900GT
    Graphics Bus: PCI Express
    Graphic Core: 450MHz
    GPU Die Size: 90nm
    Memory Interface: 256-bit
    Memory Bandwidth: 42.2 GB/sec.
    Fill Rate (texels/sec.): 10.8 billion
    Vertices per Second: 940 million
    Memory Data Rate: 1320 MHz
    Pixels per Clock (peak): 24

Above you can see that these cards share some of the basic features and that the 7900GT sports much higher performance across the board. Let me start by saying the 6800Ultra is probably the heaviest card Nvidia has ever made, the heat sinks were huge and the card got very hot using the 130nm Cores. Most cards sucked all the power you could give them and they typically run at 80C. When the 7900GT hit the market the card was very much light weight as was the first of many GPU's to use the 90nm process from Nvidia. The card runs at stock temps around 42 - 48C and use less power than the 6800Ultra. The 7900GT also sports a 24 Pixel Pipe lane to the GPU allowing much higher Output allowing your 600 Million Vps to jump to 940 Million... you can see the memory speed was improved along with a much higher bandwidth. The 7900GT core also has a much higher clock rate on the GPU, as the card already runs cooler it allows you to push the GPU to much higher temps when overclocking. I should also mention the 6800Ultra is a 2 slot design and will take up much more space in your PC, while the 7900GT is a slime streamlined card and only takes up one slot.

I am not sure what else needs to be said, but I think the only thing the 6800Ultra has on the 7900GT is it looks like a bad ass card because of its sheer size....

In gaming the 7900GT tromps on the 6800Ultra, in today’s games the Ultra can still push High settings but chocks on high levels of AA and AF. Both cards do give you the SM 3.0 Shader tech so they both have great eye candy. But the 7900GT pushes about 2 times the frames in front of your face over the 6800Ultra. You will see the 6800Ultra fall of the charts in today’s widescreen gaming as its tech just can’t keep the frames pushed on a 1980+ screen res. Sure it will be playable, But I am sure you will see some graphics lag of some kind.

Here are a few images of the cards, the top one being the 6800Ultra & the bottom one being the 7900GT :)

geforce6800ultra_iso.jpg
    7900GT.jpg
  • edited October 2006
    hah, thanks a lot guys i now truly do agree with you that the 7900 GT is a lot better than the 6800 ultra

though why would the 6800 ultra 256mb pci-e be selling at a lot more than the 7900 gt 256 mb ? i could be wrong but it would be great if someone actually found the real price of these cards because i'm seeing the 6800 ultra at around $400!? why is that
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    My guess is that the 6800 cost a lot of money to make, and retailers bought them for a lot of money and don't want to lose money on them.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    My guess is that the 6800 cost a lot of money to make, and retailers bought them for a lot of money and don't want to lose money on them.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

100% correct! The 6800Ultra was not a cheap card. We saw this same issue with the 5900 series as the series didn't sell well and tons of sellers were not moving stock which cost them tons of cash… the 5900 series was selling for more than the 6800 series when they launched. Now the 6800 Ultra had a short life and was in high demand which is why you still see inflated prices today at certain sites. I think I sold a few 6800Ultra a year or so ago for around $220 which was a huge price to score for them at that time. The newer 6800GT rev’s based on the 110nm can still be found for under $200 and perform just as good as the 6800 Ultras.

Just note a higher price doesn’t always mean your getting the best... it just means your getting ripped off :)
    edited October 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    Google is such a wonderful and useful tool.
    Really? Can we start calling you kwittken?:honoes:
    edited October 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Really? Can we start calling you kwittken?:honoes:

Would you not agree that I am an intelligent communications agency?
    edited October 2006
    yeh, I have a 6800GT, which I got when it was fairly new, and before the 7x00 series if I remember right.

I have it oc'd at at the hardware level to ultra specs, and it still doesnt compare with my friends OC'd 7600GT.
    edited October 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    Would you not agree that I am an intelligent communications agency?
    Uh ...yes of course. Beats what I thought when I first saw it by a longshot - (something to do with killing kittens or of that nature). LOL :nudge: