Urgent:Budget computer!!!(NEED TIP FAST!)

edited November 2006 in Hardware
My mobo just died an I NEED a new computer tomorrow or else Im in big trouble (university papers and all...). I am looking for a computer with every parts except:

-The monitor
-The PSU
-The DVD drive

Budget: 1k-1.2KUSD

Help me you guys. Im getting it tomorrow morning so if some of the parts you tell me to get are unavailable, I would like you to tell me what to absolutely avoid mobo-wise.
thx

I know they wont probably have every single parts so I would really appreciate it if you put parts that could be used instead of the ones you tell me at first and I really want to know what to avaoid.

Tell me: What is our "celeron" these days so I can avoid it at all cost. I plan to play games with this rig, but so far I had an amd3200xp with a radeon9800pro so everything is pretty much an upgrade at this point. Im just looking for the best value for my bucks here.

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I had this PC canned for a relative of mine:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M $181.99
    Intel BOXDQ965GFEKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel Q965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $111.99
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 541 RC-541-SKN1 $59.99
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $209.99
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250620AS 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s HD $79.99
    Total: $643.95

EDIT: My relative was going to use the integrated graphics. It's got a PCI-E X16 slot though, so you can use whatever's left in your budget to find a decent graphics card.

I can't think of any truly bad processors like the P4 Celerons these days but the Core2 chips seem like a good value to me.

EDIT2: My copy/paste skills suck.

-drasnor :fold:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Karoum, did you mean that you need to by an off-the-shelf, brand name computer right away?
  • edited October 2006
    No never brand name :)

I just want an idea of what to look for an what to absolutely avoid as far as parts brand go. Im building it peice by peice though but I am in a hurry an wont min switching a part there if they dont have exactly what I want as long as it runs smooth.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    i would highly reccomend to you a dfi lanparty ultra-d your ddr ram should work with it just fine, and just get a 6800gs and a new cpu.

a replacement motherboard for you right now for your socket-a system is out of hope because of availability. the dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d is your best choice. it will go well with your ddr ram, and the only upgrade you will get will need to be your cpu and videocard.

if you want a budget cpu i suggest going for a 3800+ you'll have 64 bit.

and another piece of advice is getting a hdcp compliant card if you plan to watch hd content in the future.

hope this helps.