Quick Heatsink question

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited October 2006 in Hardware
I just want to know which is smaller: the scythe ninja or the big typhoon.
I want to get one of these for my comp, but I am undecided so I'll let size decide.

Another question I just thought of: how hard/easy is it to install the scythe ninja (on a socket 939 board)? I've installed one big typhoon (on a socket 939 board) already, and it was pretty simple, so I'm hoping that the ninja is the same or close to it.
Thanks

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited October 2006
    If you want to cool your Mosfets, the Big Typhoon as it blows onto the mobo, the Ninja will have the 120mm fan sitting over the RAM and not cool the Mosfets, a third choice is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, light weight, mounts on standard 3 clip socket and has down turned fins on the exhaust side to cool the Mosfets and is relatively cheap. I use an Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro to cool my Opti 170 @2.5Ghz.

Datsun 1600
  • edited October 2006
    If you do buy the BT, you ought to buy the new updated Big Typhoon VX instead of the older version. It is socket AM2 compatible too, along with everything that the original BT would mount to and it also has an updated mounting system that looks world's better (easier to mount) than the original mounting system too.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    They are both huge. In my experience though, the BT is easier to mount properly. And as already stated above, the BT will also cool components on the motherboard in addition to the CPU. It's a better choice.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited October 2006
    Hmm, now I'm undecided again. I was really hoping that the ninja was much smaller than the big typhoon.
    I'll look into the VX I guess. I'm just concerned that it's going to be a very tight squeeze in my case. I think it will fit, but it will look pretty weird since it will be right up against my side panel.
    Thanks guys.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If the top of the heatsink will abut against the side panel, you should not select the Big Typhoon, as the fan would not be able to draw air in adequately. In this case (no pun intended), the better choice then might be the Ninja, as the fan blows air through it from the side. What is the depth of your case, measuring from motherboard top surface to the opposite case side?
  • edited October 2006
    If you are worried about installed height, then I would suggest the Thermalright XP90-C, coupled with the Delta high speed triple blade 92mm fan. That is a very effective combo there and right there with the BT or Ninja in performance. The fan is a little noisier than a 120mm fan, but isn't like a focused flow fan like the Vantec Tornado fans by any means. I used to have that on my Opty rig until I got my SI-120 and GFB monster for it and I'm using the XP90-C/Delta 3 blade combo on my Conroe rig, which I finally got a new hard drive for and am in the process of readying for it to be my new main rig. The XP90-C can also be used with socket 775 and socket AM2 with adapters.

I had the installed height problem with my BT and Ninja also in my Coolermaster Praetorian case. The Ninja just plain wouldn't fit at all and the BT had the fan right against the case side, which severely cut the fan's efficiency.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited October 2006
    Well my case has a hole in the side where I have a fan attached, so lack of air flow wouldn't really be a huge problem.
    I'll look into that combo herr docktor, thanks for the info <3