What is an Opteron UP vs Venus?

indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I found a site selling an Opteron UP 148 for cheap. I was wondering what is the "UP" designation? Is there a difference between the UP and the Venus I have? Is there a reason why I don't see it on Newegg?

Thanks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Please give us a link to the page with the product. We will not consider it to be SPAM.
  • indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
    edited November 2006
    This page has the link to the seller, but now the deal is gone...it was going for $37 http://dealspl.us/deal.php?dealid=11745

No way to know if anyone scooped up that deal.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I clicked the link for the product and got "Product Not Found In Catalog." HERE . Also, you should check out Resellerratings' section on PC Connection. It's your decision, but I probably would not be comfortable ordering from them.
  • indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
    edited November 2006
    Alright, guess it's a good thing I bit the bullet...deal was too good to be true...may have been a mistake. Oh well.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The Opteron UP is a misnomer for the Opteron 1xx series. UP stands for Uniprocessor. Any Opteron that can't be run with another Opteron CPU can be called an Opteron UP, and this includes Opterons made on the Sledgehammer, Venus, Denmark and Santa Ana cores.

Depending how new this Opteron UP was, it could've had two CPU cores and/or been a newer socket not compatible with your older Venus.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Up.
    Like Thrax said ...UniProcessor but applies also to MultiCore.
    Up.JPG 60.4K
  • edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    The Opteron UP is a misnomer for the Opteron 1xx series. UP stands for Uniprocessor. Any Opteron that can't be run with another Opteron CPU can be called an Opteron UP, and this includes Opterons made on the Sledgehammer, Venus, Denmark and Santa Ana cores.

Depending how new this Opteron UP was, it could've had two CPU cores and/or been a newer socket not compatible with your older Venus.

Thanks for the explanation, I was also wondering what was UP in CPU-Z windows. :thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Up.
    Like Thrax said ...UniProcessor but applies also to MultiCore.
    Thrax wrote:
    ...this Opteron UP...it could've had two CPU cores ...