Reformating Question

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I really want to reformat my computer, but my question is, when i reformat, will i need to reinstall files for my video card ? thing is I dont know if i even have the CD anymore that came with my video card, and if i reformat i dont want to screw up my entire computer.

Comments

• dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
    edited November 2006
    hey man.. Reformating your computer will cause you to loose all your files including the drivers for your sound, video, network. To resolve this you need to go out and find the drivers for your sound, video, and network card/onboard Lan. You will have to make sure you get the right drivers too or things will not work as well as you hoped for. Any more questions im sure you can find more information throughout the site here, by looking at old forums and stuff.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Reformating your computer will cause you to loose all your files including the drivers for your sound, video, network.
    Not necessarily. If the devices are very common, there should be adequate drivers contained in the Windows XP setup files or in Service Pack 1 or 2.

But to hedge against Windows not having the correct drivers, you need to identify the components in your system, go to the manufacturers' sites, download the drivers, and store them on a CD. Of course you can also store them on your computer's hard drive in a non-Windows folder. If you will be formatting the entire hard drive, then you will need to use a CDR to store the drivers.

If you don't know what specific components are in your computer, download and run Belarc Advisor.