CPU-Z, No Manufactuer?

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I was trying to get all the basic information for my computer to overclock it and was looking through cpu-z for my motherboard brand since I need it for MBM5..

but guess what? It says nothing under motherboard manufactuer..just the model number (which is 761-686B)

My computer currently runs at 1.3 GHz with no overclocking done on an "AMD Duron", Codename: Morgan

anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Open your case and look. However, it's an EPoX EP-8K7A or EP-8K7A+
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    how can you be sure?
    edited November 2006
    There were only a few motherboards produced using the AMD 761 / VIA 686B northbridge/southbridge combo. The EPoX was the most common one, however others may include the FIC AD11, ABIT KG7-RAID and the Gigabye 7DX. The "761-686B-6A6S6PAAC-00" (Which is the full string) refers to what type of BIOS the computer is using, in this case, it's an AWARD/Medallion.

Like I said, just open your case and check. :)
    edited November 2006
    my motherboard has been MODed though (Static heating replaced/updated)...that's why I asked..

...And thanks for the help Thrax :P

...got any more suggestions for me overclocking this comp?
    edited November 2006
    Well, sir, your options are pretty limited. The Morgans are pretty old, and as derivatives/successors to the old Thunderbird chips, you'll probably top out at around 1.5GHz. You might try inching your FSB up a bit to about 140-145MHz to see what happens.
    edited November 2006
    hmmm, could I push it higher then 1.5 GHz? I have a pretty decent cooling system...2 fans on the computer...plus a seperate fan the size of the tower cooling it as well...
    edited November 2006
    It's not the cooling, in this case. 1.3GHz is close to the physical limits of that CPU.
    edited November 2006
    but can't I push the limits? I did last time...but my motherboard melted...
    I know it's a high heat computer...normally running at 60 degress, now down to 48 with this fan on low...

**Edit: you're being very helpful...but can you show me a step to step guide, plus my absolute limits plus warning signs of a meltdown**
    edited November 2006
    Okay, you have to go into your BIOS and find one of these settings:

Front Side Bus
    Reference Clock
    Host Clock
    DRAM Frequency

They all mean the same thing. Start inching it up 1MHz at a time (It'll start at 100 or 133MHz), until the computer stops booting. When that happens, reset the BIOS on your PC (Consult your manual, they're all different), increase the VCORE or CPU CORE VOLTAGE setting no higher than 1.7v.

MHz up, no boot, reset CMOS, increase vcore. MHz up, no boot, reset CMOS, increase vcore. Keep doing this until the computer reaches 1.7v, the CPU hits 65*C FULL LOAD, or the computer won't boot.

If you have NO FSB/Reference Clock/Host clock options, there's nothing you can do.
  • edited November 2006
    With that old Epox board, you stand a good chance that it is already starting to have a bad capacitor problem unless you've sent it to Epox and had the caps replaced. It was a common problem with Epox boards from that era (I had a EP-8KHA+ that was about 1/2 generation newer than your mobo) and pushing the board to it's limits will speed the capacitor failure along (I know from personal experience). So if you really try to push the limits of your Morgan Duron, be prepared for a mobo failure that also could possibly take out other components too.

And some background here for your information, the AMD 761 chipset supports no divisor higher than the 133 fsb divisor. So when you get much over 150 fsb, you stand a chance of data corruption on the hard drive or losing video signal due to the overclocked PCI and AGP busses. Now I'm not sure if your Morgan Duron is a 100 fsb or 133 fsb part (too old for me to remember), but if it's a 100 fsb part you have some decent headroom with mobo divisors. But like Thrax said, 1.6 will be getting toward the high end of that processor's overclocking realm because of the process it was made on. It just wasn't designed to go higher than that. You might be able to get to 1.7 or even maybe 1.8, but you will be very lucky if you do. :)
    edited November 2006
    As mud indicated, your equipment just isn't designed for overclocking. It doesn't have any of the modern amenities that boards have featured even since the KT333 (About 4 years ago?).. I can make recommendations, but you have to be very careful, and I can't promise your equipment will stay safe doing it.
    edited November 2006
    The thing that scares me is that 65*C is 5 below the alarm...it runs at 48-50 normally...which is still pretty bad...

what's a good price for a mother board? like 100$?
    I know a computer warehouse that makes all the parts there and sells them for cost...

any recommandations on brand/models with prices?
    edited November 2006
    Set a budget for us. If you upgrade your motherboard, you'll be upgrading RAM, CPU and (probably) video.
    edited November 2006
    my video card works with the latest direct-x, so it should be fine...

and for just the motherboard...I was thinking a couple hundred canadian...but I can get it cheap/at warehouse prices...
    edited November 2006
    If you buy a new motherboard (that doesn't suck), none of them will have the slot that your computer has, unless you're using a PCI video.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Mr Triot, trust me, I know very well the urge to upgrade, tweak, and overclock. Every year (at least once a year), I do a major upgrade for all my home computers, selling old parts and buying slightly used or on-sale parts for the tech generation that is just being superceded. (No budget for new generation.)

In your case, I just don't see it being worth it trying to upgrade your system. It's just too old. If it works well, leave it alone and start saving for a new system. Sorry, but you really don't have options. You could spend a couple hundred dollars and see very little improvement. You didn't specify your system's components. Maybe there is one performance option, that being increasing your DRAM.
    edited November 2006
    well, the specs are...

Win XP/SP 2, 1.30 GHz AMD Duron processor, 40 GB mardox HD, epox board, 384 MB DDR RAM + 1.8 GB of virtual memory, nVIDIA GeForce 6300 video card, 21" Dell LCD monitor, LG DVD burner + LG CD burner, laser mouse + media keyboard....3 fans (1 on the board, 1 on the video card and one external fan)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    If it were me, I would not make any upgrade to that system except for increasing the RAM if you can find a really good price. There's only so far you can go with upgrading that system, and essentially anything you put it in will not be transferable to a new system. So, if you could find two 512MB sticks of RAM for system total of 1GB, you would see a very noticeable performance improvement.
    edited November 2006
    what would you suggest I buy then? I knew this comp wouldn't last me forever....

A good, well priced computer would be nice :P lol
  • edited November 2006
    Give us a budget to work with. Plus, you being north of the border will give us USA folks problems with pricing out a system for you too. But the components should be basically the same.
    edited November 2006
    uhh....well, prob a few hundred for the motherboard..I need something decent

and the rest...I dont know really...all depends I guess, nothing really that expensive but nothing to cheap either...a nice median would be nice..lol..
    edited November 2006
    Pick a number value for the whole bundle, please. What do you want to spend on everything together?
    edited November 2006
    500-600ish?