What's your favourite brand of high performance memory?

lewicronlewicron Glasgow
edited November 2006 in Hardware
To help me decide for a future upgrade. Answers on a post card to.... well.... here.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    OCZ. Lifetime warranty. I've also had their PC8000 platinum at 1100MHz. :D
  • lewicronlewicron Glasgow
    edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    OCZ. Lifetime warranty. I've also had their PC8000 platinum at 1100MHz. :D

Show-off. ;)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/memory/ddr2/2006/gskill-ddr2-800/sandra-unbuff-sm.png

There are a lot of choices. I am running OCZ and some Super Talent (lamest name in the world) with good success.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    DDR or DDR2?
    edited November 2006
    Ddr2
    edited November 2006
    I'd have to say I'm impressed w/ the corsair dominator review ...I just don't know ddr2 from experience.
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=509
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Don't know about high performance, but very good budget and mid-range is G.Skill and Patriot. BTW, Anandtech tested mid-range G.Skill DDR2 800 and got DDR2 1067 performance out of it.
    edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Don't know about high performance, but very good budget and mid-range is G.Skill and Patriot. BTW, Anandtech tested mid-range G.Skill DDR2 800 and got DDR2 1067 performance out of it.

Cheers for the info, leo, i'll certainly keep that in mind. The system I'm looking to build is for gaming and music production. I'm going to be saving for a few months, as I want this machine to be fairly pimped out. This will be my first serious overclocking effort as well. Here's what I've provisionally spec'ed so far (SDG = Singapore Dollars, of which there are about three to the pound):

MOBO - ASUS P5B Deluxe (Intel 965P) DDR2-800MHz - SGD375.00
    CPU - INTEL Core2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz) Box Edn -Alone- SGD547.00
    MEMORY - CORSAIR 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel 2GB Kit (PC2-6400C3) 2x1GB - SGD779.00
    STORAGE - 4 X Hitachi (HGST) T7K250 -250GB- (HDT722525DLA380/8MB) SATA-II - 4X124.00
    OPTICAL DRIVE - AOPEN DUW1616 16x Dual-Layer+Dual Format (Internal/Box) DVDRW Writer - SGD69.00
    SOUND - CREATIVE SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS - SGD150.00
    PSU - ENERMAX All In One CoolerGiant EG701AX-VH 600W ATX Power Supply (ATX 12V V2.01) - SGD289.00
    CASE - LIAN-LI G50 (ATX/Silver) Full Aluminium Tower - SGD105
    GRAPHICs - SGD900 (waiting for DX10 cards in the not-quite-bleeding-edge range)
    COOLING - OCZ CRYO Z (when available)

I think I'll probably ditch a few of the more costly and unessecary items (eg the 4 250GB SATA drive), and obviously I'm open to suggestions on RAM, but that's the general plan.

Oh - and a pork-pie hat with a feather in it, of course. :)
    edited November 2006
    csimon wrote:
    I'd have to say I'm impressed w/ the corsair dominator review ...I just don't know ddr2 from experience.
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=509

Corsair Dominator would be PIMP, but I think I'd have to put BOTH my grannies on ebay to cover the cost. Still, I could see if they're up for it.... :D
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited November 2006
    I'll have to say Corsair.:rockon:
    Partly due to my own "extensive" experience.

I have not had a lot of brand specific memory in the past but Corsair seems to be a company dedicated to provide top performance.
    And they have a nice forum as well, with listings of the chips used on all memory modules

My experience is limited though, description below.
    Before the ones listed below, it was all crappy noname memory. :D
    Memory Card Technology PC133 (R.I.P Danish company that "killed" itself)
    Apacer (good PC133 modules ;) )
    Corsair XMS3200 BH-5 modules, very nice indeed.
    On the desk next to me lies my future modules Corsair TWIN2X 2x1024 PC6400 matched pair ready to go into my next build.
    And I am expecting top performance from those as well.
    edited November 2006
    thanks all :). I'm currently leaning towards Corsair Dominator
    pc 8500.
  • edited November 2006
    I have had sterling results from both OCZ and Corsair's memroy products myself. I'm presently working on getting me a 2 GB kit kit of OCZ's Plat PC7200 SLI Edition memory that a guy on another forums says he will be putting up for sale in a few days for a decent price. As for warantee coverage, I've had to RMA both OCZ and Corsair products in the past and had no problems at all with either company for the warantee coverage, but OCZ always upgraded my ram on the replacement kit of ram.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    crucial. i'm a fan of low latency. my athlon rig had latencies of 2-2-2-2 @ 211mhz using crucial ram. when i put in ocz bh-5 and upped the voltage, it couldn't stomach those low timings.

now i'm thinking mushkin or ocz. i've tried corsair, and i've had a stick of xms ddr pc4000 burn out from high vdimm.

these bh5's are great i plan to push em to the max and use that as my determining factor for either mushkin or ocz. i know alot of ppl have had redline lvl 2....smokin.......:wow2:
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the input, guys :)
    What about G. Skill? I've got my eyes on this at the mo.
  • edited November 2006
    Your link doesn't go to any G. Skill memory, just a main page of some company.

I am presently using a 2 GB kit of G. Skill PC6400 ZX ram and it has been decent so far and runs at it's rated timings at it's rated speed. The only thing about the ZX line is that it isn't compatible with A64 boards, just Intel boards.
    edited November 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Your link doesn't go to any G. Skill memory, just a main page of some company.

I am presently using a 2 GB kit of G. Skill PC6400 ZX ram and it has been decent so far and runs at it's rated timings at it's rated speed. The only thing about the ZX line is that it isn't compatible with A64 boards, just Intel boards.

Wierd, the link is (meant to be ) to a singapore components etailer's website. Anyway this is the kit I'm looking at:

G.Skill Extreme F2-8000PHU2-2GBHZ PC8000 1000MHz 2GB Kit DDR2

Specification :

* Package : 2048MB kit (2x1024MB)
    * CAS Latency : 4-4-4-5 (PC8000)
    * Test Voltage : 2.2~2.3 V
    * PCB Board : 6 Layers PCB
    * Speed : DDR II 1000 MHZ (PC8000)
    * Type : 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM
    * Error Checking : Non-ECC
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2006
    < Shameless plug > Any Micron manufactured chip.</ End Plug >

But really we do have the fasted DDR/DDR2 chips because we use a Copper back end and the rest of the industry is using Aluminum for their power interconnects. We also test every chip before being sold to a customer.

Copper > Aluminum.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Show me a PC2-8500 stick with micron chips.

They're all Winbond, Samsung and Infineon.
  • edited November 2006
    lewicron wrote:
    Wierd, the link is (meant to be ) to a singapore components etailer's website. Anyway this is the kit I'm looking at:

G.Skill Extreme F2-8000PHU2-2GBHZ PC8000 1000MHz 2GB Kit DDR2

Specification :

* Package : 2048MB kit (2x1024MB)
    * CAS Latency : 4-4-4-5 (PC8000)
    * Test Voltage : 2.2~2.3 V
    * PCB Board : 6 Layers PCB
    * Speed : DDR II 1000 MHZ (PC8000)
    * Type : 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM
    * Error Checking : Non-ECC

I've read of some real good results with the G. Skill HZ memory you are talking about here on the Overclockers.com forums . They do love higher voltage though, so if you get those, then get a board that can supply 2.3-2.4v vdimm.
    edited November 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    I've read of some real good results with the G. Skill HZ memory you are talking about here on the Overclockers.com forums . They do love higher voltage though, so if you get those, then get a board that can supply 2.3-2.4v vdimm.
    LOL ...Higher voltage. It seems like only yesterday OCZ was marketing the DDR pc4k VX1 @ 3.2v I think?