Stock Heatsink-Fan Units for 64FX

WeedoWeedo New
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I'm wondering if the stock HSF's that come with 64FX processors do a good job or if an after market would be better. Say for a system under full load. Think heavy duty graphics or gaming.

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited November 2006
    Definitely aftermarket, all my stock HSF's still have the thermal pad untouched.

Datsun 1600
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2006
    Actually, the stock 'FX' heatsinks are quite good (the heatpipe models). Most factory AMD sinks are pretty poor, but the ones with the higher end dual core chips (and I believe the FX) are better. Replacing the fan on them can make a big difference.

If you are looking to overclock, you would benefit from replacing the thermal pad and fan. If you are looking for high overclocks, there are other HSFs to look into.
  • edited November 2006
    The heatpipe cooler that will come with the FX is a very decent cooler, like LL said. Replace the stock fan with something like a Panaflo H1BX in 80mm size and it will perform the same or better than an XP90. Be sure to look at the base of the heatsink though and see what kind of finish it has. I got 2 of these AMD heatpipe coolers with my X2-4400 and Opteron 170 and one had a good finish and the other was kind of rough looking and needed to be lapped for best efficiency. If you are looking to do some extreme overclocking then a premium hsf such as a Big Typhoon with a 120X38mm Panaflo M1BX would be better but if you aren't trying to run on the ragged edge the oem heatpipe should do fine.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    I'm not looking to do any overclocking, but it's time for a system upgrade and I'm not up to speed on my coolers like I used to be. I wanna get Vista ready. I was thinkin the XP90 with the alumninum fins would prolly be good if stock wasn't. I wanna go 64fx. How is the Panaflo H1BX for noise? I like to keep things as quiet as possible.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I should let you know that the Athlon 64 is identical to the Athlon 64 FX.
  • edited November 2006
    If you aren't going to overclock at all, then there is no real reason to replace the fan that comes with the heatpipe cooler. But FYI, the H1BX is quieter than most other 80mm case fans that move around 40 cfm of air. Most of the noise from it is just air movement noise with just a little bit of blade noise. For an even quieter alternative, the Panaflo M1BX is even quieter, but doesn't move as much air either. I find the Panaflo fans to be quieter than other fans in their cfm class due to the use of their hydrowave bearing, compared to a normal ball bearing fan such as a Sunon or Thermaltake and the Panaflo fans have an excellent lifespan too.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    After looking at the Big Typhoon I decided to go with it. I like premium coolers even if I don't overclock.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The Big Typhoon is a good cooler as well - you won't be disappointed.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Say for a system under full load. Think heavy duty graphics or gaming.
    In that case, CPU cooling is not that big of an issue. Neither gaming nor graphics work continually demand 100% CPU power.

The TT Big Typhoon is superb. You've made an excellent choice. You'll never need to be concerned about CPU overheating, and if you do decide to run the CPU at full throttle, even full utilization at a high overclock, the Typhoon will handle it with ease. It's also nearly silent in operation, which is very nice. I'm running Typhoons in all my home computers. They are all overclocked by 1GHz with both cores on each CPU running at 100% utilization.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    Awesome. I never cared for Thermaltake when Socket A ruled the world. And I'm certainly not above a little overkill either. I can't wait to get my so parts so I can build this thing.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    I can't find these Panaflo H1BX or Panaflo M1BX fans.
    edited November 2006
    I never cared for Thermaltake when Socket A ruled the world.
    Hey, I know what you mean. When the Typhoon first came out, I dismissed it as 'more Thermaltake hyped-up junk. Boy was I wrong! Thermaltake previously made all those ridiculous "Orb" coolers. Thrax was a big fan of those. I think he had every one they made, at least for AMD sockets.
    edited November 2006
    Thermaltake's orb coolers were crap, and I thought they were garbage.
    edited November 2006
    Yes, they were junk

And yes, I remember you waxing on about their incapabilities.

:nudge:
    edited November 2006
    I got burned. :(
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The stock copper heatpipe cooler that came with my opteron 165 is a very nice cooler indeed. I would run it at up to 1.4v-1.45v or maybe more depending on the temps. This is a very adequate cooler and I bet with a better fan it would compete with some watercooling setups. AMD did not skimp on this heatsink IMO ...besides these are cool running chips to begin with!:thumbsup:
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    I can't figure out how to attach the Big Typhoon to this motherboard (see sig) with the hardware given. It has a black plastic bracket on it mounted with plastic rivets and the instructions seem to call for its removal but there's no backplate, just blank holes. I don't get it. :scratch:

Apparently I need to find a backplate. Why the heck it wouldn't come with the motherboard is a souce of extreme frustration.
  • edited November 2006
    Weedo wrote:
    I can't figure out how to attach the Big Typhoon to this motherboard (see sig) with the hardware given. It has a black plastic bracket on it mounted with plastic rivets and the instructions seem to call for its removal but there's no backplate, just blank holes. I don't get it. :scratch:

Apparently I need to find a backplate. Why the heck it wouldn't come with the motherboard is a souce of extreme frustration.

I have replied your question in the other thread. Let me add here that, you will use the backplate that came with Big Typhoon. I assume you bought the original TT BT not the new VX version.
  • edited November 2006
    Not trying to thread hijack here... but my question relates...

I've ordered a new Opteron 170 to replace my aging 3500+... On the 3500, I have a Thermaltake Venus 12 that idles at 28c. With full load on the 3500, it will peak out at 42c without even reaching full fan speed.

With the new Opty 170, obviously, comes the heatpipe cooler. Would I be better off to use the heatpipe cooler than my copper venus 12? I do plan to overclock... I have read good things about the heatpipe coolers AMD is including, but I'm not sure how it would compare to my Venus 12.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'd actually recommend comparing them one after the other, and seeing which you like better.
  • edited November 2006
    To Weedo:

If you need a backplate, then go to sidewindercomputers or SVC and get a Thermalright backplate for your socket 939 board. They are made of metal (with a hard plastic spacer) and work well. As for why your board didn't come with the backplate; well you did buy an inexpensive mobo didn't you (didn't you buy the dual vsta?) and that is one way the manufacturer can save money to keep the total cost down. I personally have bought a few of those (the backplates) and they work real well. As a matter of fact, I am using one for my BT installation on my Dual SATA2. Here's a link to the backplate at Sidewindercomputers.com for you. Until it comes in, why don't you just run with the stock heatpipe unit.

To lotherius:

Yeah, try both out, but I bet you find the heatpipe cooler to be better than a Venus 12. It is at least as good as an XP90 when you mount a Panaflo H1A on it. I have personal experience with testing this out. :)