Unmountable boot volume

ZephZeph In geosynchronous orbit.
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I'm having some serious problems. My computer starts up, goes through the XP loading screen, and then gives me a BSOD saying that the computer has to restart because of an Unmountable Boot Volume. I have a Dell, and thus don't have the XP CD, but I made 6 floppy disks Windows boot disks to access the recovery console. When the disks finished installing, I pressed R to access the console. The screen turned black, and then my computer restarted, thus completely confounding my efforts.

I need help, 'n fast. I trust Short Media has a solution.

Comments

• ZephZeph In geosynchronous orbit.
    edited November 2006
    I'll add that this problem started after my computer randomly turned itself off; It wasn't a power surge or outage, since nothing else in the room or even connected to the same strip turned off. My friend may have bumped the power cord, but otherwise, I don't know what happened.

I really need a solution here.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Open the case and see what brand the hard drive is, then run the diagnostic for it from the drive manufacturer. The test will run off a bootable floppy or CD so you don't need for the computer to boot off the hard drive to run it.

Good luck. :)
    edited November 2006
    Okay. I have a WDC drive, WD800BB. I ran the diagnostic, and it came up with error code 0007 and tells me to back up my drive and run the repair tool.

Two questions before I do so: Is it possible that I'd end up losing Windows, and is it possible to use a backup drive on it if Windows can't boot?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    It's possible that you could lose everything on the drive, that's why the diagnostics software prompted you to do a backup. You can use your backup up drive if the backup is configured as an image. Did I understand your question?
    edited November 2006
    How would I configure the backup as an image?
    edited November 2006
    You can't configure a current set of backed up files as an image. You can only create an image using backup software that has imaging capability, such as Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. Do you already have data/files backed up?
    edited November 2006
    No.

Is there a free program I could use for this?
    edited November 2006
    Yes, and no.

Cobian Backup is very good and is freeware. Cobian though, will backup all of your data and programs, but will not create an image. In other words, you can't just clone a hard drive from your working drive/partition that contains Windows, put the drive into your computer and boot from it.

Acronis True Image is not freeware, but does have a trial period. So you are in luck. You could use Acronis to create an image, to let the software expire or to pay for it before it expires.

Is your computer stable enough to download, install, and run a new software program?

BTW, I used Ghost for years. It is excellent - accurate and reliable. I'm presently using Acronis, as I wanted a backup program that would work in Windows, outside of DOS. The newest version of Ghost may work through the Windows user interface as well. I haven't tried it.
    edited November 2006
    Windows won't boot, so no.
    edited November 2006
    Your best bet is to stick the drive in another computer and nab the data that way. The alternative would be (pricey) professional data recovery.

There are some programs which help recover data in areas of the drive that are bad, working chiefly by automating the "try again" process when it gets an error saying that the disk is unreadable.

Whatever you do, don't run the drive at all unless you are actively copying data. It is on its last legs and may croak altogether at any time. :(

EDIT: Leo's suggestions are good ones, provided you can get the image program to run on a failing drive. Lots of them (like Partition Magic) balk at the first sign of trouble.
    edited November 2006
    If you can't get Windows to boot, then see if you can just copy files from your drive. What are you communicating from now? Could you add your bad drive to the IDE cable on the working computer? You might be able to see your files in Windows Explorer/My Computer and copy the valuable ones over to the working drive.
    edited November 2006
    I don't really have any valuable files, but I don't have a copy of Windows. I could probably stick the drive in another computer if I had to.
    edited November 2006
    I'll add, for clarity, that error code 0007 apparently translates to Read Element Failure.
    edited November 2006
    I am happy for you that you won't be losing an valuable files, such as homework, long term projects, or digital photographs.

Putting the drive in a computer, assuming the files and data on it could be 'seen' by the other computer would only allow you to copy files and data. You wouldn't be able to make an exact clone of the drive. Well, you could try it. The computer would need to have three drives: 1) the regular drive that the computer runs on, 2) your bad drive, and 3) a third drive to which to try and clone the bad drive. But it would that you might need to purchase a Windows CD if the hard drive diagnostics software can't fix the problem.

The manufacturers' hard drive diagnostics and repair software is pretty good. Cross your fingers. Maybe it will repair the problems for you.
    edited November 2006
    Zeph wrote:
    ...I don't have a copy of Windows...
    Did Dell give you a recovery CD? If so, it probably has Windows embedded on it somewhere. When you get the drive replaced you might be able to run the recovery program and get right back in business.

If they tucked Windows away on a hidden partition on the hard drive you are in trouble. One way out of it may be to order a disc from Dell to replace it. I'd contact them and see what your options are. :)
    edited November 2006
    If they tucked Windows away on a hidden partition on the hard drive you are in trouble.
    Having only owned one brand name computer, and that being in 1995, I never think about the "hidden partition" for Windows. The big manufacturers are so cheap to their customers.
    edited November 2006
    This sh*t is bananas. I repeat, this sh*t is B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

I bit the bullet and ran the recovery program, and it worked! As far as I can tell, I haven't lost any data. The computer's running just fine!

Any ideas as to what caused this, and anything I should to to prevent it happening again?
    edited November 2006
    Run the test from WD again. I'm hoping for the best for you, but if "Read Element Failure" means what it sounds like you are living on borrowed time. If you still get the same error what it likely means is that the repair program mapped around bad spots on the drive and was able to get you going again. The hitch is that once a drive starts to go bad it usually keeps degenerating.

I hope you get a clean bill of health after re-running the test. If you don't, my next move would be to image the drive over to a new drive while you can. :)
    edited November 2006
    Cross your fingers. Maybe it will repair the problems for you.
    I guessed you crossed your fingers or held your mouth right. Good! Glad it worked. Hard drives are mechanical devices and all will eventually fail. All files on hard drives, whether Mac OSX or Windows XP, are subject to corruption. There is no guarantee against either mechanical failure or files corruption, but here are some preventive steps:

Files:

- defragment the partition/drive on a regular basis
    - run Windows "Error Checking" every five or six weeks on all partitions; set to "automatically fix file system errors"
    - connect your computer to a quality UPS (uninterruptible power supply); sudden power loss and voltages spikes and dips can damage both hardware and the files on the hard drive; a quality UPS will condition the power coming from the wall outlet to keep it even and the battery backup will keep your computer from shutting off improperly

Hard Drive Fitness (mechanical):

- use an UPS
    - ensure that the computer case is well ventilated; open the case and ensure that the space around the hard drive allows air circulation; ensure all fans work; keep the computer insides clean of dust and lint; tuck cables out of the way so that cool enters enters the case efficiently and warm exhausts quickly

No guarantees. Even the best quality drives and best maintained file systems are subject to failure. I recommend you start a backup routine. You can use a spare hard drive - internal or external Firewire/USB, CDs, or DVD. Having important data backed is wonderful for peace of mind.

How was your problem caused? Could have been a number of things, singly or in combination:

- hard drive overheating
    - too abrupt shutdown of computer
    - power failure
    - power spike
    - inadequate or failing power supply unit (PSU) in the computer
    - beginning of a hard drive mechanical failure
    - computer virus