AS5 is available ;D

edited October 2003 in Trading Post
I just ordered some AS5 at www.bestbyte.net

12gram tube for 14.99 with free shipping.

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    Considering that bestbyte.com is one of those "spam" search engine page things, I'm thinking you probably mean www.bestbyte.net , right?
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    Damn.. I thought you were selling yourself.
  • edited October 2003
    Geeky1 had this to say
    Considering that bestbyte.com is one of those "spam" search engine page things, I'm thinking you probably mean www.bestbyte.net , right?

yes I do! other places have it for over 25 shipped.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Are you talking about Arctic Silver? In which case, where did 4 go?

NS
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 had this to say
    Are you talking about Arctic Silver? In which case, where did 4 go?

NS

4 was not released because it is an unlucky number in Japan or China where Artic Silver is a big seller.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Well I would guess Artic Silver Ceramique was 4 ;) I use Ceramique and DAMN itis dangerous on a P4 system. When I pulled the HSF off my CPU it ripped the CPU out of the socket.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I was about to delete this thread......... :wtf:

;D
    edited October 2003
    You could start a thread on Ass being available too if you feel the need Prime. :p

NS
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I knew I had seen this somewhere. I found it ]here
    Do you wonder what happened to Arctic Silver 4? The explanation is as amusing as it is unique: In Japan, which is a huge market for Arctic Silver, the number 4 is associated with death. That is a real mood-killer in marketing, particularly in relation to expensive hardware. Therefore Arctic Silver plays leap-frog and skips the number "4". One can observe the same thing in floor-numbering in the US, where floor 13 is nowhere to be found. If you know your customers, you know the market. Arctic Silver has placed a good QED on that one. :)
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 had this to say
    You could start a thread on Ass being available too if you feel the need Prime. :p

NS
    ;D;D;D
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    RWB had this to say
    Well I would guess Artic Silver Ceramique was 4 ;) I use Ceramique and DAMN itis dangerous on a P4 system. When I pulled the HSF off my CPU it ripped the CPU out of the socket.

the exact damn thing happened to me...i was suprised that it didnt fux0r up
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited October 2003
    LMAO

man that was hella funny;D ;D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Well, you are suposed to use a THIN layer, VERY thin. Like a millmeter thick-- 70-80% Opaque, not thick at all, with Ceramique. I use a razor blade or a nylon pot scraper to smooth mine on. Oh, one thing, if you want to use Ceramique take the dang thermal pad off, it dissolves with 91% Isopropyl (SP?) Alcohol for the P4 and AMD pads and a decent rubbing with a nylon pot scraper or a towel-- white, not colored (no green, red, blue, yellow), or you might have colored your core something strange by the time you are done if you do not follow with more Isopropyl on something non-disolvable and WHITE to get dyes off. :D

If you did NOT take the pad off, Ceramique will partly dissolve pad and you just mixed thermal GLUE inadvertantly. Ceramique does not conduct electrically, you do NOT need pad as Ceramique is better than pad-- just do not razor blade it off if you do not want to be polishing your nice heatsink to a mirro finish again, and LEAVE the silver solder if a stock heat fan-- the alcohol will not harm that, razor blade might scrape heck out of it.

WARNING, use 91% Isopropyl with care, not near flame or electricity, and in WELL ventilated place and get RID of anything soaked with it safely. Unless absolutely desperate do not use Lacquer Thinner on aluminum or copper, it will tarnish it big time unless followed with Alcohol to remove TARNISH.

John.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Actually I have heard of several reports of Ceramique becoming adhesive like. Most were from people I know that are savy to the proper use of thermal compounds. So I am sure they don't leave the pads on their HS's.
    edited October 2003
    Who the hell leaves the thermal pad on AND applies thermal compund? Thats plain stupid. May as squeeze a radiator in there too while you're at it...

NS
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    oh boy, I ordered some AS5 along with me $20 SLK900a, w00t
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    SVC also have it
    http://www.svc.com/thermalgrease.html

i would trust SV more and order from there.
    the 3.5 gram is enough for me, i still have about half tube of AS3 and half tube of Céramique.
  • edited October 2003
    do you know if the SVC is shipping free on the 12g?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    on the 12g, the shipping isn't free.
  • edited October 2003
    trust me this is the only time I considered bestbyte. So far I'll be lucky to get it before Camman and they are only one state away from me. SVC in california to Camman in New Hampshire vs. Texas to Louisiana. :doh:
    edited October 2003
    Why don't you like bestbyte, sev?

I've done some business with them, and they're OK. The stuff could be packed better, and their quantity pricing is f**ked up (price goes up as you order more... WTF?!?) but the prices are OK, they have (had) some stuff I couldn't get elsewhere, and I've never had a problem with them...
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    For any Canadian's who are looking where they can purchase AS-5, it can be had from BigFoot Computers in Toronto, ON.

3.5g tube of AS-5: $10.98 CDN
    12.0g tube of AS-5: $26.98 CDN

No, I don't work for them, but it's the only place within 1000 KM's that I can find that actually sells the stuff and ships to Canada. :)
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    seversphere had this to say
    trust me this is the only time I considered bestbyte. So far I'll be lucky to get it before Camman and they are only one state away from me. SVC in california to Camman in New Hampshire vs. Texas to Louisiana. :doh:

oh noes, the race is on! My SVC shipment went out this morning, w00t :D
  • edited October 2003
    just to get a good deal - if the hidden cost is long processing and shipping then I can handle that since I only have so much to spend.
  • edited October 2003
    if anyone gets a 12g tube and doesn't mind peeling back the label to compare - mine is filled to just under three and a half mL. Note that the mL markings will stick to the label but still be easily read.

:)
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited October 2003
    I have a 12g arriving tomorrow, I'll let you know when I get off work.