Dead Quantum - need help & ideas

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I got a dead Quantum HD from a friends dad.
He got NO backups, no big experience with PCs - but depends on it.
(Not in a way, spending several hundred Euros/$$$ on a professional service.)

Drive:
Quantum Fireball lct 08 (8,4GB)
The drive powers on - LED on the bottom is on, tries to start/spin
(but not in a strong way you might normally feel it when a drive is stuck)
results in a quiet rss-rss-rss.
If you flip it it makes an angry RRRTRTRT - but still no start.

Sucks: Quantum apparently has a automatism built-in switching off the HD after ~10secs in a case theres a problem (only Quantum has it as far as I know)

Tried:
Hitting-therapy I dropped the HD several times on my mousepad from ~6-8inches in the sides , same more carefully with top&bottom.
The HD is not being recognized by my external USB-ide adapter or my PCs interface.

Next:
I bought the very same HD on ebay for ~5bucks.
First I want to try changing the PCB (its plugged, not soldered)
If that doesnt help, changing all data discs.
This is an extreme measure, I give it a rather low chance of success - yet I want to try it.

If you have more/other ways how to revive an old&dead HD or get the data, hints, help etc... pls post! :smiles:

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Dropping the drive might have made whatever platter damage there was already much worse. Changing the PCB will not work at all. I've looked into that as a last ditch resort and chances are the drive won't even power up after that. Sounds like your friend's only recourse at this point is professional recovery.
  • edited November 2006
    oups didnt convert... dropped it from 6-8 cm ;)

This HD "slapping" is a often used method. Worked with quite a few HDs so far.
    But of course its not really a professional method.