Core 2 Duo and the future of Intel

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Short-Media has published Thrax's guide to the Core 2 Duo and the future of Intel on the front page! If you want some good Intel scuttlebutt, look no further :cool:
Make no amends, when AMD released their K8 in late September of 2003, Intel was caught off-guard. Coming off an oscillating battle between the Pentium 4 and the Athlon XP series of CPUs, Intel's heavy investment in the gigaherz race left them unprepared for the savage beating that AMD would deal to the gentlemen in Santa Clara, CA with the Hammer and its successors.
Read it now

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Well done! That's a lot of information packed into a succinct, readable article. Again, very well done.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Outstanding piece of work! And to think, from the original Intel hater himself. ;)
  • edited January 2007
    From the article:
    Intel only has the Tulsa to compete with the Opteron in the very important 4P+ processor segment. That means until Tigertown ships in 2007, Intel will have no answer to the dominance of the Opteron in the highly-lucrative four-way or eight-way CPU market.

I thought Clovertown was a 771 dropin replacement for Woodcrest. There are plenty of reports of Clovertown engineering samples being swapped into dual Woodcrest systems to create 8-core machines. So the above quote and the following table entry:
    Clovertown Est 2H07 Xeon E/X53xx 4 / No 65 LGA 771

would seem to be not quite correct.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Four-way and eight-way does not refer to <i>cores</i>. It refers to <i>cpu count</i>. Clovertown <i>is</i> a 771 drop-in, but it still won't remedy the fact that Intel won't have a 4 or 8 CPU competitor chip until Tigertown is out.
  • edited January 2007
    core 2 quadro is coming out this year. should be interesting.

right now the core2duel is the faster chip on the market, they are integrating it into laptops but they use a Lot more juice then the coreduo's do.