Celerons or Pentiums for folding?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
I have a couple AMD Athlon systems folding for me now in my apartment, and was thinking of adding a P4 / Celeron system.

Here's what I need to know. When folding is the main concern, are Pentium 4's and equivalent Celeron chips any better or worse for folding compared to each other? I know that Celerons have less cache and things like that, but I wonder how it would affect folding operations.

As in if you have a Socket 478 P4 at 3 Ghz, and a Socket 478 Celeron at 3 Ghz, will one fold faster and would the difference be very obvious? I'm looking at 32 bit CPUs, as they are cheaper now than anything dual core or 64 bit.

I'm sure there may be other hardware that is better or worse, but I'm mainly concerned with the CPUs right now.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Pentium vs. Celeron at the same frequency: I don't know, but would guess the extra cache with the P4 would speed things up a bit. Much of the current crop of work units are highly demanding, and almost any boost, be it CPU frequency or cache, or memory quantity and speed will help.

If the P4 is a "C" revision Northwood, there is big advantage over Celeron. If you run two instances of Folding with a Northwood under Hyperthreading, one instance for the core and another instance for the virtual core, you will see a production increase of around 20 to 25% over running with only one instance with Hyperthreading turned off. Hyperthreading was mainly a bust, a desperate Intel attempt to make the Pentium 4's work better. One of the few things Hyperthreading works very well at is Folding@Home. Remember though, both the CPU and motherboard have to be Hyperthreading capable for it to work.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited November 2006
    A 3.4Ghz Celeron would be about equal to about a 3.0Ghz P4 socket 478, but the heat output would be a concern. If you want single core get an opti 100 series.

Datsun 1600
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I have a question:

Why are you always looking for outdated hardware, and are looking to explicitly buy yourself into dead end hardware?
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    I have a question:

Why are you always looking for outdated hardware, and are looking to explicitly buy yourself into dead end hardware?

I am guessing that he probabley has a skt478 board and ram handy, and just wants to add a cpu.

I'm juss guessin though. :)

Later
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    That's probably a good guess, too, but there comes a time when you have to cut your losses and stop throwing your money at what is effectively a dead platform. Chipping at your wallet with hundred dollar upgrades here or there can lead to spending the entire amount of a fresh, new, highly-upgradeable system on something that leaves you no further ahead than when you started.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Thrax - I'm cheap, and don't have much extra cash to spend on things besides that. Because IF I did build a P4 / Celeron based system, it would be used for folding, not my main computer system. A socket 478 board will be cheaper than a socket 939 board probably will be. And if I can get "almost as good" for "a whole lot less", then that's fine with me.:thumbsup:

Maybe a 64 bit CPU would fold a lot better, but if it costs twice as much, I'm not interested.
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited November 2006
    Thrax, :)

I absolutely could not agree with you more, my brother drew the line for the old skt478 and single cored platforms about 2 months ago. Currently what we have folding is skt 478's & 775's "single cores & not to mention their power consumption is horrendous."

We have a fair few that have been retired alltogether as their returns are now not worth the cost in power. We are going the Core2 duo route after xmas "less power consumption running cooler which equates to a lower electric bill" with the possibility of one or two 4 core setups in the mix. "He just wants to see how they handle the heat etc."

Main reason he is holding back on 4 core's is that he is worried about heat output etc etc and the plan is to run without AC so being that the Core2 Duo's run nice and cool. That is the option he is primarily going for and it will be in an non AC enviroment.

"Reason"

At the peak of our output last summer 10 to 15K a day, our electric bill was averaging $2500 a quarter.....and that is something we are not prepared to do again!.

So simply put Core2 Duo is our best option at this point in time.

Shal :)
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited November 2006
    Tim wrote:
    Thrax - I'm cheap, and don't have much extra cash to spend on things besides that. Because IF I did build a P4 / Celeron based system, it would be used for folding, not my main computer system. A socket 478 board will be cheaper than a socket 939 board probably will be. And if I can get "almost as good" for "a whole lot less", then that's fine with me.:thumbsup:

Maybe a 64 bit CPU would fold a lot better, but if it costs twice as much, I'm not interested.
    Well with Socket 939 EOL in Australia, a decent single core CPU and mobo can be bought for $A100 (~$US60), points wise and heat wise they kill an old P4 single core heater.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Datsun 1600
  • edited November 2006
    I am cheap too :)
    I had overclocked this one, Celeron-D 310 , from 2.13 to 3.2 GHz with stock voltage and stock cooler just by raising the FSB to 200. With dual channel DDR400, its performance was roughly equivalent to a 3.06 Xeon (512K L2, 133 FSB, dual channel DDR266) that I had on my desktop at work. I do not have the computer anymore, but I hear that it is still running fine at a friend's house.

However, I agree with Datsun. I guess, I would buy these processors as they deliver better than the overclocked performance of Celeron-D at stock speed for almost the same price.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1.8GHz Socket 939 Processor

or

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939 Processor

You can find an open-box or new S939 motherboard for a very low price for these processors.
    edited November 2006
    Some of those prices aren't too bad. Perhaps I'll look around on tigerdirect, newegg, and eBay and see what I can find to make a Socket 939 folder.

Any parts selection tips? Remember, cheap and fast for folding is going to be its only real purpose.
  • edited November 2006
    Tim wrote:
    Some of those prices aren't too bad. Perhaps I'll look around on tigerdirect, newegg, and eBay and see what I can find to make a Socket 939 folder.

Any parts selection tips? Remember, cheap and fast for folding is going to be its only real purpose.

What components do you already have? If you do not have a graphics card you might want to check this out
    Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

This is just to give an idea, there are many other MBs in the similar price category. If you do not have RAM, it will be expensive since the prices have been high recently. Actually you might want go with a socket AM2 processor, instead of investing in DDR. There is higher chance that you can find DDR2 cheaper than DDR and the price difference might cover the price difference between the AM2 processor and 939 processor. So many trade offs .... :p

Later ...
    edited November 2006
    Tim, it really is a difficult decision - which old technology will be the best compromise of performance versus cost, that is the real cost of procurement and operations (utility bills). You might also want to consider the D9XX series of Intel processors. They are dual core and their power consumption and waste heat properties are not as odious as the D8XX series. They are also inexpensive. The D9XX and D8XX series will smoke any single core CPU application in Folding, Intel or AMD. Frankly, if Folding is the primary purpose for a new box, I would completely dismiss a single core CPU build unless you already have the parts.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I like rocking out the cheapies. :-)

Overclocked 805 @ 3.2Ghz on stock cooling - currently $98 on newegg
    edited November 2006
    Technocrat, speaking of your 805 suggestion - aren't the 865 chipset Core Duo motherboards backwards compatible with dual core D8XX and D9XX CPUs? If so, that would make a very upgradeable platform for a user on a budget. The downside is that DDR(1) from the parts bin would not be compatible.
  • edited November 2006
    I would not try to overclock 805 on a cheap motherboard. It draws too much power to be reliable on a 3-phase power circuit, which most of the lower-end motherboards have. Plus, the cooler that comes with 805 is junk, one has to consider at least $50 for a decent cooler on top of the original price to overclock that cheap CPU. I made the mistake of buying a 865 board and matching it with a PD-805, see my signature.
    edited November 2006
    mirage wrote:
    I would not try to overclock 805 on a cheap motherboard. It draws too much power to be reliable on a 3-phase power circuit, which most of the lower-end motherboards have. Plus, the cooler that comes with 805 is junk, one has to consider at least $50 for a decent cooler on top of the original price to overclock that cheap CPU. I made the mistake of buying a 865 board and matching it with a PD-805, see my signature.

definitely. Go for a server-class motherboard with some serious power management. Same goes for the PSU. I think it's been shown that you can do 3.0-3.2Ghz on stock cooling and voltages, though...

Leonardo, I have no idea about the backwards compatibility...
  • edited November 2006
    Tim, if you already have some DDR ram and a vid card, hold out until after the new year for when Intel starts selling the E4300 series of Core 2 Duo processors. I think they will be selling in the $150 range and they will be 200 fsb processors, which will give you some tremendous overclocking headroom with even the cheap $50 Asrock 775i865G board that I recently bought to replace an older P4 system (I already had a spare E6300 just sitting around) and even with it only running at a little over 2.0 GHz it is outpointing the old P4 it replaced (which was at 3.1 GHz) by at least 75%. Take the good advice offered here already and don't go buy a cheap P4 or Celery; the initial cost is cheap but you will be screwed when paying to keep the power hungry beast running and the room cooled off.

The E4300 will be a 1.8 GHz part on a 200 fsb, giving you a 9 multiplier. My 775i865G is stable to 289 fsb. With that range of fsb options, the E4300 would give you a 2600 MHz processor and mobo for around $200. I will be buying me an E4300 for my board when Intel starts selling them and I will use the E6300 on a more modern mobo when I get rid of my last P4 system early next year.
  • edited November 2006
    definitely. Go for a server-class motherboard with some serious power management. Same goes for the PSU. I think it's been shown that you can do 3.0-3.2Ghz on stock cooling and voltages, though...

Leonardo, I have no idea about the backwards compatibility...

So, you think a server-class motherboard would overclock PD-805 better? Hey, nice idea :cheers: And, wow, 2.66 to 3.0 Ghz that is a nice overclock :wink:
    edited November 2006
    Any D-805 should easily do 3.6 or 3.8GHz with decent cooling and a quality board. P9XX series reach 4.0GHz with little effort. That's 7.2 to 8.0GHz Folding power from one CPU. But then, the power consumption and heat issues come into play, especially with the D8XX series.
  • edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Any D-805 should easily do 3.6 or 3.8GHz with decent cooling and a quality board. P9XX series reach 4.0GHz with little effort. That's 7.2 to 8.0GHz Folding power from one CPU. But then, the power consumption and heat issues come into play, especially with the D8XX series.

A quality motherboard and decent cooling runs for at least $150. Do you think it is worth spending this for a PD-805? Buy a 60 dollar board, say Asrock Dual775 + E6300 for 190, makes what, $250? The cost of decent cooling + quality motherboard + PD-805 is the same. Which one would you buy? I am not mentioning about overclocking potential of E6300 yet.
    edited November 2006
    mirage wrote:
    So, you think a server-class motherboard would overclock PD-805 better? Hey, nice idea :cheers: And, wow, 2.66 to 3.0 Ghz that is a nice overclock :wink:

the server-class mobo is for the more capable power regulation. Tom's boosted an 805 to 3.2Ghz on stock cooling and voltage. Over 4Ghz with water cooling. So yes, that is a nice overclock for a processor that costs less than $100. The board will be more expensive for the better power regulation, but wen your performance is up in P4EE-land, not bad.

Here is the article, it's a good read, check it out.
    edited November 2006
    I was looking around on tiger direct, and some of the popular barebones kits I saw had either Celeron D 351's (I think it was a 351) in them at 3.2 Ghz, or a Sempron 3000 at 1.8 Ghz.

AMD 1.8 Ghz vs Intel 3.2 Ghz - which will fold faster, all else in the computer being equal?
  • edited November 2006
    Tim wrote:
    I was looking around on tiger direct, and some of the popular barebones kits I saw had either Celeron D 351's (I think it was a 351) in them at 3.2 Ghz, or a Sempron 3000 at 1.8 Ghz.

AMD 1.8 Ghz vs Intel 3.2 Ghz - which will fold faster, all else in the computer being equal?

They usually offer those kits with single-channel, lowest-end motherboards. Actually, Sempron 3000 is socket 754, which is single channel by default. Avoiding the high price of a top-quality motherboard is okay but going this low will be wasting your money, imho. If you can give the links, I could check them out.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited November 2006
    I´ve runed F@H on a 2.0Ghz Celeron (Northwood) oced @ 3.3Ghz and after I upgraded it to a mobile 2.8ghz HT (northwood again) running @ 3.0ghz on 1.3v.

The later folds aproximatelly 20-30% faster because of the extra cache and runs very cool.

If you go the 478 route for folding, I would recommend Northwoods only... any prescott based P4 may perform similarly but heats and power consumes like HELL.
    edited November 2006
    If you go the 478 route for folding, I would recommend Northwoods only... any prescott based P4 may perform similarly but heats and power consumes like HELL.

I can verify this. I OC'ed a 2.8 Prescott in an old gaming rig of mine, they're like little space heaters stock, if you OC them, they require a lot of power and a lot of cooling. Not only will you be investing na major heatsink, but your board had better have some good power regulation. IMHO, the prescotts weren't exactly the best processor Intel has put out, in terms of the processing you get for the heat and power usage.

Overall, I wouldn't consider using a prescott in a high-performance rig ever again, simply because of their inherent power and heat problems. Especially in an OC'ed rig, where these problems will be amplified to a large degree. Heavily OC'ed rigs have their own problems, might as well not start out with a processor that is two steps behind. YMMV....
  • edited November 2006
    I can verify this. I OC'ed a 2.8 Prescott in an old gaming rig of mine, they're like little space heaters stock, if you OC them, they require a lot of power and a lot of cooling. Not only will you be investing na major heatsink, but your board had better have some good power regulation. IMHO, the prescotts weren't exactly the best processor Intel has put out, in terms of the processing you get for the heat and power usage.

Overall, I wouldn't consider using a prescott in a high-performance rig ever again, simply because of their inherent power and heat problems. Especially in an OC'ed rig, where these problems will be amplified to a large degree. Heavily OC'ed rigs have their own problems, might as well not start out with a processor that is two steps behind. YMMV....

Amen, let Prescott RIP. I think, even Intel will not want to remember them, 90nm (P1262) process development of Prescott was probably the most painful process development ever.